Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

A little level design tips thread.

@dobu gabu maru That was a great read. Lots to ponder, and a very good insight into your way of creating fights that typically rip me to pieces. ;) I had a lot of fun in that battle, even though I was able to cheese the start a bit. Even so, it definitely got my heart pounding!

Great thread!

One of the things I want to get better at is proper texture usage, I mean how some texture combination make a much better overall picture, for example I didn't thought about that concept of darker ceiling/brighter floor textures mentioned in this thread. And indeed it shows. Usually, I spend a lot of undecided time wondering what texture to use and end up either using the same combinations or putting one just to finish off. I would also like to experiment with more unique combinations but it's always putting me into undecisive mode, scrolling through textures till it looks ok.

My other issue is balance. As I am more interested to design 3d spaces, I don't give much thought, in monsters/ammo placement maybe. I do like placing monsters hidden for an ambush and such, but then the ammo/health comes as an afterthought and I just try to add enough. Usually you find conflicting reviews even in some good maps, where people are either complaining about too much ammo, or too little ammo, boring monsters or too difficult monsters. I guess you can't please everyone. But I am wondering how do you tackle this issue?

p.s. Ok, I just saw the big wall of text above after posting this, I will read that :)

51 minutes ago, Soundblock said:

Don't listen to any advice.

Even your advice?

Don't feel like you have to separate each "room" with a door, they slow down movement for both player and monster. Thinking of ways to meld areas together can improve the flow of a map. My last map is an ~hour long adventure and the only doors are key bars.

I've been making maps for several years now. I have never published any of my maps, primarily because I don't want to simply publish single map PWADs and also because I don't think my maps are very balanced.

One thing I can say though, DO NOT MAKE MAPS TOO LARGE!

I once made a map that tried to combine four types of environments into one singular map. It started with a very linear outdoor area where you travel along a river, then you entered a techbase where I tried to make a less-linear experience before entering a stupidly dark cave that ended with a neat little demon temple. The last section of the level is probably the best part of the level once you get out of the darkness... I would often take long breaks from map making before returning to this map and trying to make "improvements", most of which equated to unnecessary detail in the environment. I have always struggled with item and monster placement in all of my maps, I can never find the right balance. Not to mention that the massive size of the resulting map caused nodebuilder issues.

In all of my more recent maps I try to keep things more simple while also trying to make visually and stylistically impressive environments. One of these maps is set primarily in an outdoor area with various obvious points of progression all within the opening area's view. There are three locations, a small encampment, a castle and a tower. There are several invisible walls that allow the player to see enemies without being able to fight them yet as they are intended for later (now if only I could figure out how to make instant-lower platforms so that you don't need to wait for an invisible wall to slowly lower from the skybox once you've made it that far...). I also tried experimenting with sort of "mini boss" monsters that will teleport across the map after certain points of progression, though some of the monsters I want to use refuse to fit no matter how much I adjust the teleports! I think this map has a cool layout, it just needs better monster and item placements...

3 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

if only I could figure out how to make instant-lower platforms so that you don't need to wait for an invisible wall to slowly lower

Make 2 adjacent sectors out in the void. Select the platform you want to lower first and then one of the sectors you just made and join them together. Set the ceiling height of the other new sector equal to the height you want the floor to lower, and then use an action to raise the floor to the lowest ceiling, and the floor will lower instantly.

On 2017-08-08 at 6:04 PM, Empyre said:

Make 2 adjacent sectors out in the void. Select the platform you want to lower first and then one of the sectors you just made and join them together. Set the ceiling height of the other new sector equal to the height you want the floor to lower, and then use an action to raise the floor to the lowest ceiling, and the floor will lower instantly.

What exactly do you mean by "join them together"? Do you mean make them the same tag or literally make the map interpret them as the same sector?

Also, what I'm trying to do is make something similar to the map from Final Doom where you start in a room and can see a bunch of Arch Viles in a cage, with something blocking the door (though not the switch itself like in that map, more like a set of bars while the switch is somewhere else in the room and doesn't lower itself). Though now that I think about it I could probably just open the map I'm taking some inspiration from in GZDoom Builder and see how they did it there...

Okay, after looking at it I can see that they do in fact make them the same sector, which I do not know how to do short of literally "pinching off" part of the sector. Is there a better way than that? Because that isn't entirely possible in my map without redrawing large parts of it.

And don't worry, I'm not making a maze map with Arch Viles, I'm just trying to find a clever way of having a set of mini bosses in a level.

In Doom Builder, select the sectors you want to join, and then press the J key, and they will become one sector, with all the attributes (height, texture, tag, etc) of the first sector selected.

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

In Doom Builder, select the sectors you want to join, and then press the J key, and they will become one sector, with all the attributes (height, texture, tag, etc) of the first sector selected.

Thank you for the tip!

After closer examination of MAP11 of Plutonia, I noticed that the invisible wall does not seem to possess a floor or ceiling on its own (or at least it does not appear when selected)... And I'm still not able to accomplish what I want... Is there some sort of tutorial for this type of thing somewhere? That would be extremely helpful!

If you want to have a fan in Russia, make sure that your maps can be enjoyed in many different ways. Let the player be hyper aggressive when he wants to, but allow him to camp as much as he wants if that is his preference. Lock in traps often make levels clearly unplayable in Nightmare or even simply with fastmonsters, which is a no no. You also want to avoid tight corridors with lots of monsters in them as that can force the player to shoot at them, therefore making his pacifist attempt invalid. Chainsaw and berserk are very good to have: after all, some people don't use weapon slots higher than 2. Naturally there should be some choices for people to make, and it's nice when some choices make things harder than other so that the difficulty can be sort of adjusted on the go. Generally, lean towards lower difficulty. An easy map can be made hard with addition of special rules or just by being reckless enough. A hard map is simply hard and there is not much interesting stuff you can do with it.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:33 PM, Skeletonpatch said:

Thank you for the tip!

After closer examination of MAP11 of Plutonia, I noticed that the invisible wall does not seem to possess a floor or ceiling on its own (or at least it does not appear when selected)... And I'm still not able to accomplish what I want... Is there some sort of tutorial for this type of thing somewhere? That would be extremely helpful!

Here's a quick tutorial, then. I attached a little wad that demonstrates what to do in 3 steps: emptut1.zip

In step 1, on the left, you make your invisible wall. Make both the back and front sides of all the lines point to the invisible wall sector. Make sure none of the lines are 1-sided. Bring the floor up to the ceiling, and leave the lines with no textures. I added the red line on the floor so you can see where the invisible wall is in this demo.

In step 2, in the middle, make 2 sectors out in the void. Join the invisible wall to one of the new sectors, and make the ceiling of the other sector equal to the height you want the floor to lower, 0 in this example.

In step 3, on the right, make a switch or some other trigger and have it raise the invisible wall to the lowest ceiling. Because the lowest ceiling is lower than the affected floor, instead or raising slowly, the floor will lower instantly.

Step away from a map in progress and come back to it after a few weeks or even longer. You'll temporarily forget a few of the things you implemented and upon testing it, it will feel a bit more like someone booting up the level for the first time. It's in these moments that you'll learn a lot more about your aesthetic, pacing, combat, etc., than you will during the actual mapping process.

@Memfis That's an interesting perspective but also a lot of extra mapping and testing effort to accommodate niche play styles. When you think about how many people actually play your map and then narrow it down to those who liked it enough to replay/speedrun, it doesn't seem worth it.

I'll throw out another tip that I need to start following too. If you're making a hard map, include extra resources and keep the difficulty moderate while you test. Then once you're happy with how the map feels, you can start removing resources and adding extra enemies for UV purposes. This also has the added benefit of having lower difficulties implemented and fun to play.

On 2017-08-12 at 9:39 PM, Empyre said:

[Very useful info here]

Thank you! I've managed to make all but ONE of the instant-lower platforms work properly... However the one that doesn't work is the first one you encounter that is supposed to release the "mini boss" demons from the starting area into their holding pen. Which is pretty vital for what I want to accomplish in this map... I'll keep tinkering with it and hopefully it works sooner or later.

Since I've cluttered this thread with my own personal mapping questions, I'll try to offer some advise that is on topic.

It's probably been said before (I think I may have said this earlier in the thread myself but I'm not going to check), but do not try to make overly detailed environments for no reason. I ruined one of my favorite custom maps doing this, all it did was break up the flow of the map, clutter the screen and overload the node builder because there were to many sectors and linedefs than it could handle. I've learned that it isn't hard to make visually interesting environments without having too many little details.

The only time you'd want to have little details is if you were trying to make realistic environments that could appear to be functional in the sense that things look like they have a real-world purpose. The best examples I can come up with are Psychophobia and the Brutal Doom Hell on Earth Starter Pack. But in that case you probably aren't going for a vanilla mapset.

I don't have anything massive to add, except to say that a map does not have to be consistent with the real world design 'rules', but it must be internally consistent to its own 'rules', and those rules must be based on something recognizable to the player.

One example of this is in modern games (yes CoD I am looking at you), is where the player can climb over one waist high wall, but not another identical waist high wall, as this second hypothetical waist high wall forms a 'boundary' to the level, and the first forms merely an obstacle to use as temporary cover. Frustrating to say the least. 

On another note, there has been very little discussion in this thread (aside from dobu gabu maru's pretty neat post on that level from Revilution,) on how to use monsters well. I would like to see some posts on monster flow/pacing, as thus far in my non existent mapping 'career', this is my weakest area. Hitscanners vs projectile baddies, how to use monsters so they create a threat without having that threat become overly frustrating, how to place monsters so the gameplay has this quality of 'flow.' I understand that monster placement can be used to create a very real sense of progression, over and above the obvious "small monsters first, big monsters last, then bossfight hurr durr," but how exactly to execute this? Also, how to limit/balance health and ammo in a way that challenges without causing the player to ragequit?

Great thread tho.

Edited by bLOCKbOYgAMES

As far as health/ammo balance goes, playtesting is probably still the best way to judge it. Play through your map a few times and see how many unused resources are left over. Then, remove some health/ammo depending on how strict you want the map to be.