Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

Doom 5 (2030) should have/be...

So what do you think Doom 5 should bring to the table in the year 2030 (give or take)? Here's mine

-more exploration

-no forced monster traps (or at

least not as much)

-even faster gameplay

-not taking 1000 bullets to kill anything (this is an exaggeration, but still, I can't  stand having to pump 6 fucking bullets into a zombie just to kill it )

-more modding capabilities

-NOT 80GiB IN SIZE

-A different map setting, Mars is fun, but nothing but that gets old very quick imo

-enough remakes already, do something completely different.

Do something innovative with it. How, I don't know. But that's what made Doom 1 so awesome

Edited by CzechMate29200

If the game were to release in 2030, 1TB games would become the norm.

I would like to go to Earth again and with the new technology devs have on their hands, we can see a Hell infested Earth that would look devastating and kind of atmospheric seeing the demons pretty much destroying our home planet. Of course, Doomguy would go rip and tear them again, so there goes his Tuesday.

Please don't get rid of the quick swap combos, Increase standard shotguns distance by a pinch (which is the problem your having btw), and that's it for me for the most part. I'v faith in id to create another bad ass Doom game. As for the file size, that won't change much if they will continue to use mega textures, just the way it is.

Hell on Earth. Just some living humans. All I ask. I have explained these few people I would like to see during gameplay 10000000 of times yet no one likes them. Seems everyone would like either:

-Classic Doom games again

-Somewhere in SPHESS

-Prequel, when described, sounds like Classic Doom, BUT TOTALLY ISN'T CLASSIC DOOM

-Earth yes, but raped so fucking hard Doomslayer would be the last human alive bc people cannot stand friendly NPCs and people want classic doom

-seriously, why do you hate the concept of friendly NPCs so much?

-they are humans just like you ffs

But if Doom 5 were to be released, I'd like it to have a Doom 64 vibe eg creepy music, dark atmosphere, lever action shotgun, exploding cyberdemon, arachnotron design, etc

Doom 5 will come out at the time people are feeling nostalgic for Doom 3 and Resident Evil 10 becomes a return to form survival horror. So expect a lot of darkness, limited ammo, short ranges and minimal enemies on screen at once.

Hopefully no glory kills and endless piñatas. Or actually being vulnerable while doing the glory kills, making you think about using them.

#BringBackHealthAndAmmoManagement

#MakeArmorGreatAgain

Also, difficulties that do something interesting except scaling numbers.

Doom 4 felt too cinematic for me, but I know that's the norm for newer games. If we really wanna go oldschool, reduce in-game cinematics that take time away from running and gunning.

49 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

You actually can be hurt during glory kills on higher difficulties.

Played on nightmare and it didn't seem like it. Right after the animation ends (when you still can't move), yes, but not during it.

a few things in the quake champions trello leaks the doom shotgun/skull shotgun was called "Doom II Death on earth Shotgun Functional Prototype Implemented"

second of all the games large size is due to maps and multiplayer each component was developed seperatly causing there to be several duplicate files as well as a long load times when swapping "games"

On ‎30‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 5:52 AM, CzechMate29200 said:

-NOT 80GiB IN SIZE

Sorry to break it to you, but that's very unlikely. We're already at the point where 50-60GB is a pretty standard space requirement for video games, and it's only gonna get "worse" from here.

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

Sorry to break it to you, but that's very unlikely. We're already at the point where 50-60GB is a pretty standard space requirement for video games, and it's only gonna get "worse" from here.

At some point I think it was a deliberate tactic to deter piracy, I have no doubt that most modern games could be compressed to at least 50% of their full size. When CDs were still expensive, everything was compressed to the max similar to how code was kept as compact and short as possible. Disk space, memory and bandwidth are no longer an issue for most people these days so now we get these games that take up insane amounts of space (imo).

On 8/1/2017 at 6:52 AM, BadLuckBurt said:

At some point I think it was a deliberate tactic to deter piracy, I have no doubt that most modern games could be compressed to at least 50% of their full size.

Anti-piracy -might- be a small bonus, but I seriously doubt it has any major influence on game size growing. I think it is more driven by a demand for higher quality texture, sound, video assets, and as those get into higher quality (even lossless sometimes for audio!), it's just going to push the space requirements higher.  We do have lossy compression algorithms, it should be well possible for Doom 4 to fit into the similar space requirements of Doom 3.  But the textures would have a similar quality as Doom 3, and nobody really wants that.

On 8/1/2017 at 6:52 AM, BadLuckBurt said:

When CDs were still expensive, everything was compressed to the max

Look at those games now. Ugly JPEG artifacts and MP3 artifacts everywhere and it can seriously take away from the enjoyability of such earlier games.

On 7/30/2017 at 9:59 AM, Battle_Kirby said:

Hell on Earth. Just some living humans. All I ask. I have explained these few people I would like to see during gameplay 10000000 of times yet no one likes them. Seems everyone would like either:

-Somewhere in SPHESS

-Prequel, when described, sounds like Classic Doom, BUT TOTALLY ISN'T CLASSIC DOOM

-Earth yes, but raped so fucking hard Doomslayer would be the last human alive bc people cannot stand friendly NPCs and people want classic doom

#Humanlivesmatter

Definitely set it on Earth. I know the abandoned Doom 4 that was leaked extensively didn't exactly scream "Doom," but it just means that's not the way to approach it. Considering how nicely Doom '16 represented both UAC and Hell (even though Hell could have been a bit more Scorn-ish), it's clear id has a strong enough art department to give us a new vision of Hell on Earth. This would be a really great opportunity to provide the player with tons of brand new locations: Forests, business districts, suburbs, highways, oil rigs, jungles, scrap heap yards, star ports, etc. It would provide so much more variety than before. 

Hell also needs to be rethought. When I think of what the concept of a hellish dimension means personally, I'm less fire-and-brimstone and more H. R. Giger, Hieronymus Bosch, Zdzislaw Beksinski, Morbid Angel album covers, Doom 64's aesthetic, and some of the darker aspects of psychedelic imagery. In other words, id really needs to get carried away with Hell. I think they really held back with Doom '16, and in a way made it too believable. When I think of the way Doom 1, 2, and the PSX and N64 versions, handled Hell, there are a lot of iconic environments that instantly come to mind. Less so with Doom '16.

Lastly, I'd like to add that a few new gameplay mechanics might be nice. With '16, weapon mods and upgrades were incorporated very nicely, and the loadouts made multiplayer a bit easier to think on one's feet. I don't know what sorts of norms are going to be established for shooters in the coming decade, but we may see a new Doom incorporating a hub world, destructibility, NPC interaction, and possibly even full-body transformation such as a flying or vehicular mode. I'm not necessarily expecting or yearning for such features, but I could see them working in a new game, possibly.

6 hours ago, chungy said:

Anti-piracy -might- be a small bonus, but I seriously doubt it has any major influence on game size growing. I think it is more driven by a demand for higher quality texture, sound, video assets, and as those get into higher quality (even lossless sometimes for audio!), it's just going to push the space requirements higher.  We do have lossy compression algorithms, it should be well possible for Doom 4 to fit into the similar space requirements of Doom 3.  But the textures would have a similar quality as Doom 3, and nobody really wants that.

Look at those games now. Ugly JPEG artifacts and MP3 artifacts everywhere and it can seriously take away from the enjoyability of such earlier games.

The anti-piracy thing was more viable when we didn't have the download speeds we do today. When it takes up to 30-45 minutes to download 1 MP3 track, you start appreciating compression ;)

But the compression I meant is the kind where you decompress your assets up front during load, not the one where you sacrifice data for the sake of space.

I really just want the same as Doom 2016 with new stuff added.

Also a change to an urban setting wont hurt.

I also disagree about the glory kills being a bad thing. It really keeps things focused on the action with me having to backtrackn for 50 decades trying to find that one health pack, but it also not instant like regenerating health. It may not be a 90s thing but it sure as hell isn't as game breaking as people make it out to be.

On 7/30/2017 at 9:59 AM, Battle_Kirby said:

-Somewhere in SPHESS

Bump!

Finally! Someone else who shows some love for friendly NPCs. Just when I thought I was the only one! 

I hate people who think Doom should just be about you being all alone while everyone else is either dead or a non-combatant. Seriously. You old geezers need to take your goddamn nostalgia goggles off and get with the times!

If Doom 5 has no living humans(civilians, soldiers, etc.), then I won't be playing it. Sorry, but if I wanted to play a game that's the same thing every release, then I'd play Call Of Duty.

Pop and electronica songs that shift into metal back and forth to see how much enraged people would get even if the pop\elecronica part is 10\10 songs. 

But Samuel and Olivia are NPCs aren't they? You "talk" with them don't you?

On 7/29/2017 at 10:52 PM, CzechMate29200 said:

-NOT 80GiB IN SIZE

On 7/30/2017 at 10:01 AM, Moktar said:

Set on Earth. I'm f*cking tired off of Mars.

Both of these please. A modern Hell on Earth would kick ass.

16 minutes ago, CzechMate29200 said:

What are NPCs?

Non-Player Characters, basically AI that you interact with or talks with you but you don't control.