Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WeRtheFastHeadcrabz

Doom Builder 2 moving map files.

Question

Whenever I save a map in doom builder 2, or even open one to edit if I remember right, it moves the map files to the bottom of the wad.  This causes the map to not exist, and hence it just loads whatever doom 2 map is supposed to be there.  The only way to fix this is to go into SLADE and move the files back up manually.  I have no clue what causes this.

3 answers to this question

Your situation is the result of a self inflicted problem, and suggests greater problems with how you are creating your WAD. A maps position in a wad will not matter as long as only one copy of that map actually exists, which means your PWAD should only contain the maps you need.

DB2 always saves the currently edited map to the end of the wad file, because it improves speed of the process of saving the file. It's normal and it doesn't affect functionality of the map, unless there's something else wrong with the wad. Make sure there are not multiple maps with the same header lump name in the wad. Make sure you are not editing the wad in both DB2 and SLADE3 at the same time, because they'd be erasing each other's changes to the wad, unless you're using SLADE3's "Open map in Doom Builder" feature.

On 7/29/2017 at 11:11 PM, DoctaCaffeine said:

Whenever I save a map in doom builder 2, or even open one to edit if I remember right, it moves the map files to the bottom of the wad.

Well, that is how DB2 saves maps. If this distresses you, then you could use GZDB or GZDB-BF, which save lumps at the same locations as where they are found.

This causes the map to not exist, and hence it just loads whatever doom 2 map is supposed to be there.

That would be true only if you did something to violate the lump order of the MAPxx namespace.

Otherwise, the map is still there. It does not matter if the MAPxx namespace lumps are at the beginning or the end of the lump list.

The only way to fix this is to go into SLADE and move the files back up manually.

Hmmm...

I have no clue what causes this.

Upload the offending pwad for critical perusal, so that we may detect what went wrong.

Edited by Kappes Buur