Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrazyDoomguy

Make own sky

I learned to make sky, but I have problem with convert the PNG on doom texture. These paletes are awful, this have like negative look. WHat should I do? Here is example picture... try convert this on exact color.

df.png

3 minutes ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

I learned to make sky, but I have problem with convert the PNG on doom texture. These paletes are awful, this have like negative look. WHat should I do? Here is example picture... try convert this on exact color.

df.png

That reminds me of Windows 9x.

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Shouldn't it be possible not to convert them at all, leave them as they are, and have them displayed just the way they are by way of GL?

If I not convert, can i run this on map?

Maybe try convert this in bmp format and later into Doom format? Or leave it as png if you aim for open gl ports. 

If your planning on something playable for software you'll need to get it palette'd for sure- seeing as you are using lighter blues you might have some trouble with the paler shades going to grey- or just smudging into a mess. Try messing with the contrast a little and it might help!

Okay so I had a mess about- came out with this...has a bit of dithering but the lack of certain shades in blues doesn't help...

UNTITLED2.png

Given the shape of the lighter colouring at the bottom too it's not going to tile well but some manual editing should work!

HOWEVER perhaps with an edited PLAYPAL and shifting some shades about and maybe some hues too if you're up to it would certainly help in conversion!

It is not possible to display truecolor graphics in classic 8-bit software renderer. Some advanced ports allow truecolor graphics to be present in the wad and they automatically convert them to palette before displaying them, but classic ports typically rely on the graphics being already present as paletted in the wad. So, if you're making a wad for those advanced ports, you don't need to convert the graphics manually, and if you're making a wad for classic ports, you need to convert the graphics manually, but in either case, the graphics will always display as converted to palette in the game if the port uses classic 8-bit software renderer.

Edited by scifista42

Yeah you might want to go for that Plutonia overcast white sky look.

Screenshot_Doom_20110421_232448.png

I've been chasing the "make a cool blue cloudy sky in Doom" for a long time now.  The problem is that the blue range is just really difficult to work with when it comes to lower saturations (especially if you want to mix other colors with them).  But I went ahead and took a stab at making something for you:

8pDVhsV.png

I might have been able to make something a little smoother looking with some more time, but this seems to be decent.  It will look a little more cartoonish compared to your base image, but again...Doom's blues are just a pain to work with sometimes :P

I did two more color variants while I was at it.

AIovUbI.png

XbsurLi.png

Hey Mecha, would you mind if I did some small edits on your sky? :)

fFR3HKh.png

Insaturating a bit:

8ki54Xm.png

Making it night:

ogv4KLU.png

I found a way! Convert it and sky have exact color!!!!

I just wanted make own skypack. I can use photoshop. I make dor against boring ;)

jaaa.png

1 minute ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Um... that is not exact color, but as long as you like it, then it's good :)

is exact. Try convert on existing/global. The color is exact

doom02.jpg

First off.

df.png

jaaa.png

Existing/global means that it's going to use the palette of the base resource WAD, e.g. Doom2.wad. If you compare the two, you can see the 2nd doesn't have the background gradient visible in the 1st one. The 2nd has more clouds.

But since you're happy I won't argue about something unimportant :P

A question: if I make a sky for gzdoom, should this sky have same size like 256x128 or I can make more longer? Is ok if png file? I planed make one file with png and other file with doom converted.

^ yeah you can use bigger ones

PNGs should be ok as well

41 minutes ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

planed make one file with png and other file with doom converted.

You might not have to do this. You could set up ZMAPINFO or something, so that GZDoom uses the high-res sky, but the other ports (that won't read ZMAPINFO) will use the ordinary one. :]