Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Mysterious Moustachio

Atonement Episode 3 CAPITOL [RC1.2] Map31 Music Updated [Vanilla-Compatible Megawad]

these levels are pretty cool! can't wait until the other episodes are released, however- why upload them to idgames now if it is only the first two episodes of a complete or larger wad? it just seems weird finalizing everything before the rest of the levels are done. 

It seemed like people in the community had an inclination towards episodic releases at the time I initially released the wad. It made sense to upload it to idgames since so many people had already played it, and I refined it to play as a standalone release. It just so happened that bugfixing took so long that everyone is beginning to wonder where the other episodes are. The next three episodes are on their way fairly soon at the rate Interception II is going.

Looks great! Minor nitpick - it's basically a vanilla-compatible megaWAD, right? I'd rather you called it that than a "Chocolate Doom megaWAD".

Understood, though if it works in Choco you can probably reasonably assume that it works in vanilla too. As I see it, "Choco compatibility" shouldn't be a thing people should be talking about, since the goal of Choco is always to be trying to match vanilla anyway.

RC1.1 is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2jx3s4kxgsbnte/atonE3_R1-1.zip?dl=0

Added some updates to Map31 as well as the music track for Map31.

EDIT: Added some updates to the text file as well as an update to the Map31 music from Dial-up himself: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ud0uhb7w3vkusq9/atonE3_RC1-2.zip?dl=1

Edited by The Mysterious Moustachio : E3 RC1.2 released

I've played all of E1 and E2 in Crispy Doom and this wad is absolutely fantastic. It also feels weird, in a very good way, like it came from some parallel universe with little influence from the pwad authors we know of. It feels like something Sandy Petersen might have done if he had years to improve his skills at both Doom level editing and Doom gameplay, full of fights that were much more disorganized and chaotic than the big choreographed setpieces most pwads lean towards these days, but still absolutely compelling and fun as hell to play. E1 comes off the stronger of the two episodes, with E2 feeling a bit more conventional and "pwad-ish" while E1 is more abstract and unconventional. "Big Ol' Crater" was my favorite of all the maps. I wasted a whole bunch of time turtling after the viles warped in, letting them resurrect almost 50 monsters and turning the entire area around the red (? I forgot which one it was exactly) key building into a demonic mosh pit, leading to a frantic, desperate banzai charge with the invuln followed by being chased all over the map, trying to take out viles and clear my flanks before things got even further out of hand. I played that map in the morning and I felt good all day after beating it.

I feel like the rock textures used in E1 need replacement, though. They are ugly and full of dithering and "stray" pixels of intense color, and playing in software at 320x200 makes this all the more apparent.

Thanks for the kind words, @Woolie Wool, but more importantly, thanks for playing! I'm happy to see folks getting down on my maps. Admittedly, many of my fondest memories of Doom were E2 and E3, so it's no wonder Sandy Petersen has noticeably influenced my mapping style.

I'll see if I can somehow patch the texture using the E3 wad. If there are any good martian rock/soil textures that have been released, any links would be appreciated.

I had forgotten all about this, but I finally downloaded it last night and poked around at MAP01 for a bit. Looks fantastic; this is definitely on the shortlist for my next WADs to play.

Finally started this and played through the first 3 maps last night. Absolutely loving it! I actually like the E1 rock textures; I thought they were stolen from Hexen, to be honest.

Finished this a couple weekends ago (as you saw in the What Are You Playing? thread) and loved loved loved it! Really looking forward to future episodes. I did find what I think is a bug in MAP04: It's super easy to fall behind this computer block (in fact, I went back there thinking there was a secret) but there doesn't seem to be a way out.

Screenshot_Doom_20190328_223738.png.1ad469efbce8aac34f92640845ff119f.png

(Also, thanks for linking Dial-up For Murder's bandcamp page. I fell in love with his stuff thanks to that, and now that I've played Atonement, I think I like them even more!)