Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moustachio

Atonement [33 Vanilla DOOM II Maps] [Now on idgames]

Well, I recorded a depressing 15-minute or so video of me playing the map and dying a few times, eventually caving into a single resurrect due to some pretty unlucky circumstances which you'll see in the video once I get it uploaded. All in all, it's a really good map, perhaps one of the best ones I've played so far, but it does not fuck around. Defos. should be in the later mapslots of the WAD. I'll edit this post in the morning once I get the video up.

Going off of that last note, here's a video of me playing through Strike on Hectic Castle on UV:

And an updated version of the map here (it'll be in the MAP18 slot):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b7v1m5bd4yd9qvy/hctccstl.zip

EDIT: Here's another video showcasing MAP04 of Atonement:

I've also updated the OP with a map list marking my progress in real time. If you are interested in testing any of the maps, please let it be known to me by reply or message.

Edited by The Mysterious Moustachio : Added a second video

And I also updated the OP with a bunch of screenshots! Here are three more:

g232ad4rmgv95h6zg.jpg

yzjsv1p3h9qm5v3zg.jpg

nvmifa0xo93yab9zg.jpg

Edited by The Mysterious Moustachio : Replaced screenshot that had the "SCREEN SHOT" message at the top with a similar picture

Here's a new map. Consider it in beta:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l2bh950h5eb0r4f/atn03ccc.zip

MAP03: Cross Canyon Chaos

Tested On: Crispy Doom 5.1, Chocolate Doom 3.0.0; loads correctly in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 and GZDoom 3.2.5.

Difficulty Settings: All implemented! Best experience on HMP imo.

Difficulty: Early Alien Vendetta on UV; TNT on HMP and below.

Length: 6-7 minutes usually (without secrets).

Slaughtery?: Ehh... Not really, but expect a lot of enemies and SSG/Chaingun action.

z2cfi88ht3ndcj8zg.jpg

o1b4sbqp4icucpbzg.jpg

5n76xqy37sqsux3zg.jpg

fdas for the first map1 and map4.

prboom+ cl2 noisy_mustache.zip. it's the usual sloppy play by me, deaths included.  only watch if you have enough time, etc.

I played map4 first, then industrial zone from doom2 because why not (demo included), then I stepped back through the thread and found map1 and played that (the one that is map18 now).

Map04: the highlight was that brown brick jungle-gym, which I loved.  The rest was playable, but not as memorable.

Map01 (old version): Absolutely great.  I loved it.  Any map that lets me be a monkey and jump around is my cup of tea.  I did a nomo secret hunt too; only found 2/4 secrets though.  Some might say it's rough around the edges and unpolished, but the general arch-type is one I almost always enjoy.

I guess if I had to describe this archtype, i'd call it "kid's playground jungle-gym" or something.  you know the feel i'm talking about.  these are just my opinions though, pls ignore.

I'm glad I stumbled upon these.

@NoisyVelvet I really enjoyed those demos! The arch-vile flinging you out of the window on Hectic Castle was certainly a highlight. I also agreed with a lot of what you had to say. The way you phrased the "jungle-gym" aspect of my maps in particular is something I enjoy because I aim to allow for that kind of gameplay in my maps. I enjoy areas you can jump around and get a little lost in, searching through all their nooks and crannies.

If you enjoyed them, maybe you'd like to play the rest of Episode 1? I only have 02-06 because I'm saving MAP01 for last. I'm also waiting for a currently in-progress OST to be done before I release any more maps.

17 hours ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

If you enjoyed them, maybe you'd like to play the rest of Episode 1? I only have 02-06 because I'm saving MAP01 for last. I'm also waiting for a currently in-progress OST to be done before I release any more maps.

sure i guess.  i'll play them when i get around to them.  i presume you'll have to pm them to me cuz they aren't in the thread

@Megalyth Thank you! I'm doing my best to vary the gameplay with the themes as well. There are quite a few short maps in here, I just never feel as if they're much to show off.

@NoisyVelvet Yes, I will PM them to you.

3QhEW7x.png

Atonement Episodes 1 & 2 (MAP01-MAP11) are coming out soon! Here are some more screenshots in glorious Chocolate Doom resolution:

Spoiler

b1PezKK.png

NnAAj5v.png

eSRNDm3.png

DORUfkS.png

xjEV7sp.png

Ah yes. Looking good. My apologies I didn't get around to doing some more testing for you, while I'm here. If you get close to an "official release candidate" please let me know, I'm certainly interested in seeing what's new here. :-)

Seconded. Would've tested more for you but I was in my worst Doom slump around then. Heh, looks great though, hard work pays off! Can't wait to see this one finished.

@bioshockfan90 Thanks, bioshockfan! I'm excited to start unleashing this thing!

I'll take this opportunity to post a piece of artwork that I personally did for the wad. Here's the intermission screen art in its current incarnation (as it appears in-game):

eCimFV0.png

Atonement Episode 1 EARTH + Episode 2 MARS is out! Download RC2 here:

atnE1 E2_rc2.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqw2r3mjsv6456p/atnE1+E2_rc2.zip

It's going to be on Map01-Map11 plus Map18. There is a text file included that should provide some more background information, as well as the original post.

And here's the story so far, the in game credits, and a new screenshot:

Spoiler

vM8DfG3.png

Oi2gCvG.png

JTPueHA.png

Heyhey, bit late to the party, but I'll be chipping away at bits of this whenever I have time. I'm impressed with what I've seen thus far.

MAP01: Like the little teleporter trickery you have in the beginning, very cute. I'm glad to see heavier-hitters right out of the gate, like a perched rev and manc down on the martian floor. The manc is effectively useless though, since he guards health pickups you won't really ever need to grab... maybe change the medikit to something like a shotgun? That way they have a little more incentive to get over there and tango with him in his space. Over in the nukage room, you have this 8-wide red light that's down in the boiling green goo, which I'd remove so the player doesn't bump into it. When the player uses the lift in that room, they have to duel a caco at the top of it, which is a little awkward since they have to repeatedly hit the lift... I'd consider removing him and just allowing the player to be assaulted by the Lost Souls. Lastly, after the player goes into the exit room, they can hop out the window! I jumped down looking for secrets, and when I fell into a pit I couldn't escape I was like, "oh, I proooobably wasn't meant to do this." Good starter; I like the feel of mars thus far.

MAP02: Ooooh I liked this one. Darker, more of an unconventional texture set, some really spicy fights... all neat stuff, especially for MAP02. The YK fight in particular is pretty rad, rewarding you for taking less munitions by blocking the spawn points with lower tier enemies—that's really cool. The only thing I wish is that there was a way to denote which switch would lower the YK. Other fixes I'd suggest is removing all those medikits before the YK switches (the medikits in those depressions), because that's an unnecessary overload... having 2 in the YK switch overlook is all the player needs. Also at the BK trap, I'd put two pinkies in those cubbies that open up closest to the door, since the player can easily backtrack into that room and hold their ground. Also, light up the steps that let you go up onto the balcony in the main hallway, and change their texture from the red marble texture to something more... bright? Those steps see a lot of use, so I generally like highlighting a path/avenue the player will be using a ton.

3 minutes ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

@dobu gabu maru There is actually a little secret for falling out of the window at the end of Map01. What pit did you get stuck in?

Ah, I see—I didn't spot the lift the first time. That's a uhhhh very generous secret that's easy to find haha

@dobu gabu maru Hahaha, well I meant for it to be a fun little bonus for anyone who enjoys going out of bounds. Doesn't count as a secret so speedrunners don't spend half the run diving for an OP weapon.

And a lot of the extraneous health... well I use it. My skill level is a little shit, so I need some of that cushion. Great feedback as always, dobu!

Damn dude, this just looks like straight up good ol' fashioned Doom, totally up my alley. Lovely variety of themes and colors and such, I've bookmarked this!

MAP03: Very intersting layout here—it's waaay more developed than MAP01/02... almost seems like something you'd see in BtSX. Enemy placement is a little clunky though—a number of foes kinda just bunch up around doors or hallways, and you have to just hug a corner and pump shells into them. Case in point: in the middle of the map an arach guards a door with a flood of enemies behind it that will easily infight, and there's also scores of foes clogging up the megasphere platform. They're not really that dangerous, they just take a while to chew through, ammo-wise.

The map has a good flow and progression, but ammo can feel a little stringent at times, especially if the player doesn't hop down into the valley to pick up some goodies. I've also noticed that the secrets in this wad seem to be pretty generous—most of my ammo and armor are found there. I think it'd feel more generous if you sprinkled some more rockets around the map, as I was hankering to blow up some revenants but had to methodically pick away at them with the chaingun instead. Lastly, I'd recommend marking a lot of monsters in the hallway with the YK door and RK door as deaf, as they quickly bunch up around the doorway when the player first fires.

MAP04: Wasn't feeling this one so much. I got through a whole chunk of it before realizing that I was having severe deja vu because I had played this map before! Can't remember that much from my first playthrough, but one thing that has remained the same is the "chaotic" quality of the map, where there's just a whole messload of dudes for the player to mow down, along with ammo placed around the map with almost little rhyme or reason. I'd strongly recommend deleting most of the boxes of ammo into the later parts of the map, because there is no way in hell the player will want to use a chaingun on a dozen HKs, mancubi, and cacos—when in doubt, always place down rockets! It's not a bad map by any means, but the "meh" layout and haphazard monster placement definitely makes it my least favorite. It's a big step down from MAP03, which I think speaks to how much you've grown as a mapper.

Oh, also, if you give the player a computer map, make sure to mark all dummy sectors and monster closets as "hidden".

MAP05: Mmmmmm it's tough to make really expansive, open maps dangerous. Due to the smattering of health and ammo scattered about the map isn't really that dangerous—the only tension comes from the player trying to find the RL and SSG. Speaking of, I'd suggest making the top building only have the RL (it would replace where the SSG is now), as it's currently waaaay better to tackle that complex first thanks to the goodies inside. Besides that, I dunno how to make minor improvements... it could be more engaging if it got a big overhaul (like making the outside flooded with mancs/arachs or something), but I know that'd be a lot of work. Liked the atmospheric mood here, thanks to the laid back midi.

MAP06: Fun little indoorsy map—I liked how chaotic it got near the end, in the area to the top right. The first half of the map is a wee bit slow and "shoot monsters from around corners"-focused, but the top right area prioritized movement, blowing up barrels, and rocketing foes from afar, which is always an active experience. Didn't quite understand what the cyber was supposed to do... on my first try I got him to anger the AVs, and then when I moved back to look for health he teleported next to me and splattered my innards against the wall. On the second try I killed the AVs and waited for the cyb to teleport away... which took a long while. Even after he teleported away, I found it was really easy to just skirt past him and exit the level. I went back and dueled him of course, but the encounter needs to be streamlined to prioritize dueling the cyber. Maybe the AVs can be used to stop the player from entering the exit area by placing block monster lines around the entrance? Could swap them out for barons too, just so the player doesn't panic and try to rush to the exit. Dunno, there's a lot of options here—would be easier if you could just place the megasphere and rockets out of the room, so you can effectively block it with monsters while the cyber teleports into the pillar room.

Also you have a tendency to spread around a lot of health bonuses, which while helpful, makes the "readability" of the floor more opaque. What I mean by that is that with dozens of rockets, shells, stimpacks, and health bonuses spread around, it can be hard for the player to know what to grab when they immediately enter a new area. Like if I'm short on shells, I want to look for a shell box, but due to your ammo management on maps, I kinda just strafing over a plethora of goodies, thus not really acknowledging how much ammo I'm getting. Could just be a difference in playstyle though; I prefer austere ammo placement that makes you praise god for every shell box found, where you seem more than content to just load the player up on ballistics.

MAP07: Really like how you warp enemies onto the chaingun pillar—very clever weapon denial there. This map is actually really similar to the last one in terms of flow: the first half has the player shooting around corners, while the second is a wild teleport melee with ammo scattered everywhere. The visuals were a bit better though; the outdoor setting of earth helps in keeping this level feel distinct from the last map, despite the structural similarities. Don't have a lot of suggestions for changes or anything... was a solid map.

MAP08: Oh this was a uhhhh short map. Claustrophobic combat is my jam so I had fun during this, it just felt a little too... meaningless? It's a shame too especially since the texture change really livened up the atmosphere—the last 7 maps have been techbases in rocky outposts, so I'm super down for more brick houses in obsidian caverns. Oh well. I don't think there's anything wrong with short maps in theory, it's just that they're typically more useful placed after a big adventurous map, like MAP03 or MAP05.

MAP09: Yeowch, this one stepped up it's murder-quote considerably—lots of nasty teleports and perched hitscanners to offset the usual amount of health you plop down. It can get a little brutal having to always watch your back, especially since archviles are used somewhat liberally. This type of gameplay is fine in isolation, but it's certainly a harsh wake-up call compared to the rest of the set.

A big change I'd suggest is putting a rocket launcher (and an extra box of rockets) somewhere easily accessible in the southwestern facility. I missed its initial placement and was really pressed on ammo, especially since you warped an AV into the eastern section of the map. Speaking of, I'd save his warp-in for until you start descending down the stairs into the southwest facility, because where he's placed right now is SUPER awkward to fight—you basically have to run up and down stairs when you're only equipped with the SSG. Letting him warp in after you start descending the stairs will let him surprise the player, but still make it a fair fight.

Also, a big tip I tell every mapper is that your maps should be essentially "maxable" while finding 0 secrets, because there's a lot of players like me that suck at finding goodies, so missing out on something like the BFG is an important perspective to balance for. Likewise it's important to look at your map and figure out "the worst routes possible", and balance around that (like, say, missing the rocket launcher and heading into the southwest facility :P)

Gonna start my playthrough now, judging from the pictures, it all sounds promising!

Just one nitpick before I forget, in my opinion you should have the level number on the automap, just put up "1:", "2:" and so on, that won't take up much space. :)

8 minutes ago, waverider said:

Gonna start my playthrough now, judging from the pictures, it all sounds promising!

Just one nitpick before I forget, in my opinion you should have the level number on the automap, just put up "1:", "2:" and so on, that won't take up much space. :)

I have no more characters left in the dehacked string otherwise I would :P