The /newstuff Chronicles #532

With more input into reviews we could try catch the newest releases before year ends. I don't want let this place to die. Also, why these screenshots are still broken? 

Thank you for an honest and critical review, Decay!  I have been waiting for a long time to see some sort of feedback on that project, I have been dying to know what people think about this one map -- where the map falls short and where it succeeds.

With that, can I be able to see the screenshots?  For some reason, I am only able to see the image place-holder but not the image itself.

Just now, Tiger said:

Thank you for an honest and critical review, Decay!  I have been waiting for a long time to see some sort of feedback on that project, I have been dying to know what people think about this one map -- where the map falls short and where it succeeds.

With that, can I be able to see the screenshots?  For some reason, I am only able to see the image place-holder but not the image itself.

Press on image place-holder and in other page(or in same page) you'll see screenshot.

1 minute ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Press on image place-holder and in other page(or in same page) you'll see screenshot.

I must not be doing it correctly, I reach a 403 Forbidden error if I try to open the place-holder in a new tab.  Normally clicking on the place-holder - does nothing for me.  I am not sure how to view the images correctly, it seems....

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I must not be doing it correctly, I reach a 403 Forbidden error if I try to open the place-holder in a new tab.  Normally clicking on the place-holder - does nothing for me.  I am not sure how to view the images correctly, it seems....

It showed for me in some older reviews. Let's wait a bit, maybe it will get solved or will let you see images in new page.

I'm not sure what the deal is since the images are in the right directory and it seems like all the permissions are correct, blah.

edit: oh lmao I see the problem. It is profoundly stupid and I won't bother explaining it here

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

I'm not sure what the deal is since the images are in the right directory and it seems like all the permissions are correct, blah.

edit: oh lmao I see the problem. It is profoundly stupid and I won't bother explaining it here

Thank you for the fix!

CSon's review of that Christmas wad cracked me up, especially the swastika bit, rofl.. It's like Christmas Spirit repellant!

1 person likes this

Thanks to someone telling me about the nifty Doom front end, I should be able to review more like its 2004! With that said, some that I played this week can't be claimed as they're not old enough.

Huge props to everyone who is doing reviews -- it looks like things are hopefully starting to pick up again. I'm spending a lot of time on mapping and some other stuff has come up, but I'm hoping to help with clearing away some of the My First Wad type stuff when I'm back from summer travel in a week or so.

3 people like this

Alright. I reviewed 3. I tried a fourth, but it was DM and I couldn't get it to work in general. Chances are I wasn't as thorough as I could be, but with a back log like that, its time to crank out the reviews. Its also been 18 months since I've "reviewed" something and its been building up inside me.

>>> Looks like I need screenshots. I'll get those to you Bloodshedder. I did videos of all 3. I'll just screen capture from there.

* edit *

Screenshots are posted on imgur.

Edited by geo

Posted (edited)

Let the DM people cover the DM wads, we can clear things out. I'm guessing you tried AeonDM, personally I'd kind of like someone who has played it review it so we can get some actual feedback on it.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, Decay said:

Let the DM people cover the DM wads, we can clear things out. I'm guessing you tried AeonDM, personally I'd kind of like someone who has played it review it so we can get some actual feedback on it.

I started working my way from oldest to newest. The map is: Morgenstern. I gave it a try in the recommended source port.

* edit *

Uh while I'm here... there are 177 wads listed.

Edited by geo

Posted (edited)

I sense a lack of motivation in the Newstuff Chronicles. It has really struggled to keep up to schedule for a very long time.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, pcorf said:

I sense a lack of motivation in the Newstuff Chronicles. It has really struggled to keep up to schedule for a very long time.

I blame Doom 4 for actually coming out. It splintered the audience and gave them something new and shinny to play.... well that and the site has changed.

Another level pack reviewed. Interesting because it got such a low rating on idgames. I have a feeling people looked at the first minute, thought eh crap and gave it a 1 or 2 stars.

Edited by geo

Posted (edited)

Well, I took another map to review. I just learned how to this and I can help push new stuff chronicles further and do my small contribution by reviewing wads. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, pcorf said:

I was reading this with Darth Vader's voice in my head :D Dark side has tightened it's grasp with the reviews. We need more review jedi available!

Slowly churning my way through the backlog. There is *a lot* to go through.

19 hours ago, pcorf said:

The forum change and the wads splitted in two sites had a (bad) impact on this matter, in my opinion

I guess it could be traced back to the end of traditional newstuff, where one or more fixed reviewers posted them every Sunday.  Opening it up to everyone and then hardly anyone actually doing it kinda highlighted the amount of time/effort we put in to make Sundays a better place. (esp. when something like this happened)

Also the fact there's a lot more wads being made than there was back then, together with the extreme narrowing of scope and quality in DW's mapping/playing preferences over this decade...meaning that newstuff is now full of wads that are undesirable to most. (so let's all sit back and wait for the next big thing to hit Wads & Mods instead of wading through this mountain of beginner/multiplayer/utility/ZDoom/gameplay-altering wads that clutters up newstuff)

Sadly I don't think there's a way back to those times - it requires a wide taste in maps, a tolerance for anything/everything and large amounts of time/effort to be a regular reviewer...and I don't think that exists in this community nowadays :(

With so much stuff coming out, I can see enthusiasm for playing random stuff that never had a preview thread made being quite low.

Crawls out of a sea of grey concrete facilities. I'm Knee Deep in the Reviews with 5 done (still need to upload screenshots for 2). Looking forward to the 100% Geo newstuff chronicles.

* edit *

6 reviews done. Screenshots up.

Edited by geo
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I just review one & gonna do a few more this weekend to help out :)

Is there an archvile in the room because it looks like newstuff might get resurrected. Its up to 18 approved!

Edited by geo
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Archviles in this case are good friends ;)

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, geo said:

Is there an archvile in the room because it looks like newstuff might get resurrected. Its up to 18 approved!

That being said, I wonder why there's a delay now wrt publishing the new articles.

5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

That being said, I wonder why there's a delay now wrt publishing the new articles.

It hasn't been a week.

1 person likes this

Now if only there was a Newstuff Chronicles Reviewwad Club... then people might be motivated to play through wads they normally wouldn't have.

3 people like this