Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Unholy Realms

August, 2017

brn0Ly4.png

> Download Unholy Realms

> 2017 Season Standings

Leaderboard

1. # Map30Bloodite Krypto - After countless line skips, megaspheres and broken runs at the Icon, Krypto finally snuffs it. What a spectacular year of demos; what a spectacular way to die.
  2. # Map26Demon of the Well - Bloodite gets a stay of execution courtesy of some Demonic clients. (DNF)
  3. # Map21Veinen - Hot damn there's some pace in this run. Good stuff. Splayed by a hell knight.
  4. # Map21WH-Wilou84 - A little too much spice in the footwork for Wilou, whose bane is Tyson from pistol start.
  5. # Map17Alfonzo - Ignited and disposed of by an unseen arch vile. Why oh why didn't I pick up that green armor?
  6. # Map17Dime - You've seen the biggest GADs, the greatest rolls, the hungriest cacodemons. You've seen Jimmy telefrag a barrel in Perdition's Gate. You thought you'd seen it all. You were wrong. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the greatest death in DWIronman history.
  7. # Map17Roofi - Pulls up after nearly four hours of play. Megawads can be scary long, people; stay safe out there! (DNF)
  8. # Map13: Beginner - Damned toothpicks!
  9. # Map12RjY - Magicked his way in front of DoomLover with some super cool tricks, then bailed. (DNF)
  10. # Map12DoomLover234 - Being disappointed in yourself despite improving performances is the sign of a champion. Keep it up, Lover boy.
  11. # Map11an_mutt - Hard Attacked.
  12. # Map11Anima Zero - Map11 is called Death; no wonder Anima was on edge. Spectre gets the chocolates.
  13. # Map11dt_ - Completely bungles the arch vile fight.
  14. # Map10dobu gabu maru - Rolled out the plasma in a pain chance lottery. Man, that tunnel is scary!
  15. # Map10Scotty - He was in the zone. He could see the imp in front of him. Good At Doom.
  16. # Map08A2Rob - Mistook a cacodemon for a wall. I would laugh, but I'm fairly sure I've died to an arch-vile in much the same way, before.
  17. # Map06cannonball - Accosted into the nukage nest by a dangerous troop of ghosts. Revenants and sergeants, oh my!
  18. # Map06rodster - The spiderdemon is now known as Bethesda.
  19. # Map06stewboy - Whipped himself into a frenzy and died to imps.
  20. # Map06SSGmaster - You can't join the 1% club if you don't survive the level! Good job, Bethesda.
  21. # Map06Archi - Shredded at point blank range by the spiderdemon.
  22. # Map06Aquasa - If anything, this confirms the credentials of a monster other than the spiderdemon. That hell knight is an asshole.
  23. # Map06Suitepee - Coulda, shoulda, woulda moved. Bethesda pays no respect to your lack of awareness!
  24. # Map05bioshockfan90 - There is split screen in Doom, after all! Died in the cage fight.
  25. # Map05Urthar - In his own words, at least he didn't rocket himself. Died in the cage fight.
  26. # Map04Eris Falling - Punched his ticket at the BK trap. The next port of call wouldn't let him off so easy. Also goddamn it Eris, keep up!
  27. # Map04Rathori - Astonishingly, the only person to die to the BK hell knights. Batting way below his average, this month.
  28. # Map04Crusader No Regret - What did that blue armor ever do to you? Did it sleep with your wife?
  29. # Map03JudgeDeadd - Dodging into fatal damage floor tics? I guess if you spend this much time in the cellar you've got to be creative.
  30. # Map03bzzrak - Probably the most vanilla death this month. A straight-up smiting by cacodemons.
  31. # Map03loveless - The death cam pans to reveal the true culprit.
  32. # Map03DaIcemann76 - I mean, you're supposed to fall in, for sure. It's what happens next that's important.
  33. # Map03: NoisyVelvet - Mistook the bubbly surface of a cacodemon's skin for red velvet. :DimeCaco:
  34. # Map03guineu - Tortoise soup.
  35. # Map02Ancalagon - Bathroom break. Nearest W.C. is on map30. Gotta go fast.
  36. # Map02Jimmy - Happy Crusades anniversary!
  37. # Map01ClumsyWizard - Wizards don't know how to use their fists.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given mapset, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

In August 2017 the DWIronman League dies to Snakes' Unholy Realms, -complevel 2 (Doom (strict)). Yes, it's a megawad, so get ready to pull a Trainspotting and board up the studio. The first few levels aren't all that hard but they waste no time in demonstrating the kind of tightly strung combat that makes up most of Unholy Realms, so be sure to 'enter the zone' before things start to head south or you'll be caught with your pants down. Expect to be challenged at the beginnings of levels quite often; it's a set that is sometimes likened to Scythe for its high-concept delivery and pace and there's a lot of front-loaded difficulty.

Good luck... and do try to have some fun before you die, okay? :)

Potential Game-stoppers

• There are multiple versions of UR floating around the interwebs. It's advised that you use the /idgames version for your demo recording. If you do record using a patch/replacement wad file that fixes some of the bugs in ur_final, please make sure that you list them along with your upload.
  • This mapset features mandatory death exits on map11 and 20. Stay frosty!
  • DNF Map01: You can become stuck in this pit by walking along the railings and dropping in.
prboom-plus -file ur_final -complevel 2 -warp -skill 4 -record my_demo

Spoiler

• One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt offline. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)

Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

Apparently I had the good fortune to cheat death about three or four times during this run.  That all came to a screeching halt when map 11 came around when my latest episode of cheating death had me surviving with 7 health.  Found a medpack, but that didn't help when a couple of shots got taken from a pair of chaingunners.  Enter a room with like 20 health, see what's there, I say nope.  Ok, should be able to turn around and....

*Turns around, spectre*

*chomp*

*dead marine*

DWIronman_ur_final_AnimaZero.zip

I usually survey the first level of these before I go in officially:

The first level here has an inescapable pit.  inb4 shockblast gets himself stuck here.

Whoa I've actually played this one before! 

From what little I remember I'm still not getting far here :(

The season standing spreadsheet has been updated.

With Demon of the Well's slight slip-up last month, the nefarious Dr. Krypto has turned a slim margin into something like a buffer zone. Scary stuff! Baring a disastrous turn-around in form, you would think him beyond all doubt, from here. RjY quietly continues his remarkable run of DNFs (most of them intentional!) to remain the only player other than Bloodite with a perfect 'survival' rate, assuming at least five attempted challenges. NoisyVelvet, the poor bastard, still hasn't survived a challenge and is the highest ranked player not to have done so, overtaking Eris Falling in months previous. Surely UR will not present as the best opportunity to notch some green on the board...

Way down the sorry end of the ladder we have cult figures JudgeDeadd, bzzrak and cannonball, who between them have managed only one performance ranking outside the 40th percentile. That's one out of twenty-one attempts — cannonball in BtSX E1. Assuming these fine gentlemen continue to run an even number of attempts, the wooden spoon seems a total flip of the coin.

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an attempt at clarity.

Ouch, that's an uncharacteristically early death, Noisy. UR is littered with nasty fast-door traps and monster mosh pits and if you're going in completely blind it can be intimidating stuff. At least, I'm guessing you went in blind on account of your surveying the first level. Tough luck.

Edited by Alfonzo : I am a grammar.

FYI, while I think the wad could be a good choice, it is very broken in terms of what the true final version is. In the idgames final version, map 30 cannot be exited to my understanding without the trick route involving a void glide and two archvile jumps, and there are apparently versions also called ur_final.wad floating around that can be exited on map 30. Furthermore, there were I think several fix wads made called urdpfix.wad and I think urdpfix2.wad (?) available on the DSDA page, all of which fix various bugs in the final version but none that fix all. Later versions of the fixwads reverted some bug fixes, and as far as I know, there is no version of UR that has every available bugfix. I would not suggest doing this as an Ironman until all of that is fixed because any demos recorded with this version will desync with the other versions, and there's no clear version that should be used for that not to happen...

Guess I'll be going first this month in the Britbowl. I've heard a lot of things about Unholy Realms, but have seen little of it in person....

1 minute ago, Suitepee said:

Guess I'll be going first this month in the Britbowl. I've heard a lot of things about Unholy Realms, but have seen little of it in person....

It's a very good wad imo, a bit rough for an ironman tho 

Man, I've never played this. Going in blind... Not gonna finish in the Top 10 here, that's quite obvious. 

10 hours ago, 4shockblast said:

In the idgames final version, map 30 cannot be exited to my understanding without the trick route involving a void glide and two archvile jumps

I can't doubt that there are some issues with the /idgames release given your involvement in speedrunning, but can you confirm this? What's the nature of the problem? I played map30 in -cl2 and didn't have any problems in completing the level or notice anything that may potential stuff up. If the bugs are a strong chance to trigger versus a guarantee then I'd be inclined to stick with it having already selected it for this month, especially considering it's map30.

These things accounted for, it would make sense to stick simply to the /idgames version of ur_final.

Dead on map17. Not a bad result in the end, but watching the demo on play-back (and on-stream) I notice that I somehow managed to overlook a plain-as-day GA sitting pretty by the PG pickup. That would have allowed me to sit back and take out the distant sniper threats in the area I die instead of rushing forward to pick a second GA... where an arch vile was waiting to set me on fire. Still, I was expecting to cark it at some point in E1 (map04 and map11 are scary!), so I'm quietly content.

ur_ironman_alfnz.zip

I played UR in the same year it was released as well as a couple of times in the last 2 years in zandronum coop. No additional preparation before the month.

rip on MAP04, quick and painful demise. Could've been worse, when you look at what happened to me on MAP01, heh.

Come on, if you're going to kill me can you at least do it at the start of the level so I don't have to go through six minutes of cocktease just for it to count for nothing? D:

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Not quite as impressive as an_mutt's disastrous run of Legacy of Heroes, all told, but look at where he is now! Still behind Suitepee on the leader board!

Let this demise be your watershed moment, or something; or you can delete the concept of Ironman from your memory logs. Either way, tough luck.

Playing now if anyone wants to watch me die in like 10 minutes: https://www.twitch.tv/dobu_gm

EDIT: Ate the big one right before MAP11, how disappointing: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/163917311. Made it farther than I should've, most likely because I was the HMP playtester for UR. Funny thinking about how similar in style Snakes' early maps are to mine.

Edited by dobu gabu maru

Demo... got to map 10 and - why the fuck did i do that?!

It was all going so well too, especially for playing blind... ghost shotgunners on map 6 shat me up, not seen them for a long time! I thought this set would be bullshit but i actually had loads of fun - one to revisit and finish later.

Made it to the last fight in 06. I got distracted by a hellknight sitting right above my cover spot, and so the big boy snuck up and blew some nice big holes in me.

I had a good time while it lasted, plenty of fun fights to be had here. It would definitely wear me down for 30 maps straight, so I'm kinda glad it didn't take too long.

ur_iron_aqua.zip