Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jthom

Couple wads that I'm working on

Hey all, I'm new to the doomworld forums and doombuilder, I just joined today. I've been working on a couple wads for a while now, and I'm just looking for some advice or constructive criticism. The first wad is a couple of Doom 2 maps that I made in a few days. These are the first maps I've made with doombuilder, although Ive done mapping for other games before. I'm going for a sort of old school style, similar to the original doom and doom 2. I tested the maps with GZdoom only, as that is the only port I have played. Free look, jumping, crouching are not required, it should be possible to complete the maps without any of those things. The 2nd wad is for Hexen, which I have always been a fan of. I dont know if this is the right place to post Hexen wads, but any feedback for either of the two wads would be very welcome. The Doom wad is 2 maps long and the Hexen wad is 4 maps. Both wads have secrets throughout. The end of the hexen maps is once you open the castle door. I learned about doombuilder a couple weeks ago and I've been working on these two wads since then. Heres some pics:

Doom pics

Cc9Xhnd.png

iZhwj5N.png

Hexen pics

VnlNM0G.png

m7hFYM2.png

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

heres the download links:

Doom Wad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4clfvr0wpch93j3/DOOMMAPPACKORIGINAL01.wad?dl=0

Hexen Wad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6enio7d5t4g5ga/HexenMapPackOriginal.wad?dl=0

Edited by Jthom

Just a quick note: 'vanilla' means playable in doom2.exe or ports such as Chocolate Doom (not to give an overly technical definition). It has a bunch of static limitations. In your first screenshot you are using a wall texture as a flat. Using a wall texture as a flat or vice versa will make your map unplayable in anything below ZDoom. If you are using vanilla in the sense of 'no asset replacements', that's not so accurate; 'using stock resources' is the term you'd want there. The first screenshot will quickly dissuade anyone from actually attempting to play it in a classical port, but keep this in mind in the future. Also this post is worth reading. 

7 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Just a quick note: 'vanilla' means playable in doom2.exe or ports such as Chocolate Doom (not to give an overly technical definition). It has a bunch of static limitations. In your first screenshot you are using a wall texture as a flat. Using a wall texture as a flat or vice versa will make your map unplayable in anything below ZDoom. If you are using vanilla in the sense of 'no asset replacements', that's not so accurate; 'using stock resources' is the term you'd want there. The first screenshot will quickly dissuade anyone from actually attempting to play it in a classical port, but keep this in mind in the future. Also this post is worth reading. 

Ah I see, I just assumed vanilla meant the original game resources, textures etc. I'll just edit my post, thx for the help