Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

Games that Desperately Need Sequels

I think the series has way too many weapons and probably doesn't need to pile even more on top. Same with monsters especially when the more fun ones to fight (skull wizards, disciples, Bishops) take a back seat to stupid shit like stalkers and centaurs. If a reboot needs to happen they'd probably need to remove hell maw and fuse the hexen classes or make corvus continue in that world instead of them, with his old weapons losing power sources present in D'sparil's underwater Dome and portals. 

21 minutes ago, Pegg said:

I think the series has way too many weapons and probably doesn't need to pile even more on top.

Eh, fair enough. Perhaps rebalancing some old weapons and adding a tome would be sufficient (like the Hexen 2 fighter).

Same with monsters especially when the more fun ones to fight (skull wizards, disciples, Bishops) take a back seat to stupid sh*t like stalkers and centaurs.

I never understood why Hexen insisted on throwing mobs of ettins and centaurs at the player while cool stuff like wendigos and reivers only make a couple brief appearances... Same with H2, and its odd love interest with spiders & archers, while the cool monsters appear in one hub each.

The other problem with Hexen's bestiary is that the devs seemed content with making a lower-tier and higher-tier form of each monster. I do appreciate the variety within species, but it doesn't really make up for lack of variety of species.

If a reboot needs to happen they'd probably need to remove hell maw and fuse the hexen classes or make corvus continue in that world instead of them, with his old weapons losing power sources present in D'sparil's underwater Dome and portals. 

No, they definitely shouldn't get rid of the class selection -- it gives the game replay value. If anything, they should expand the RPG aspect of the game, perhaps add skill trees or some way for you to choose how to develop your character

Edited by 42PercentHealth : Ettin. What the heck is an etting?? :-P

Oh I didn't say they shouldn't add more RPG aspects (Skill trees and upgradeable gears in a hidden hub would be awesome) to the game. I just think their implementation of classes was lackluster and took too much development time that showed in the games. 

4 weapons per class, including the last one requiring 3 pieces to create, is "way too many weapons?" i'm gonna have to disagree on that. there could easily be 2-3 more weapons and it probably wouldn't have hurt the game balance that much if done properly.

The series also has ALL the weapons from heretic and hexen 2. That's a hell lot more than 12 weapons :P. (I also think Heretic 2 had new weapons but don't remember them correctly)

Yea, Many of them are well designed (Balancing aside) already and could work as legendary\artifacts versions of typical fantasy weapons. (phoenix Rod as very rare stave, yes please!)

3 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Oh I didn't say they shouldn't add more RPG aspects (Skill trees and upgradeable gears in a hidden hub would be awesome) to the game. I just think their implementation of classes was lackluster and took too much development time that showed in the games. 

Ah, gotcha. I can agree with that.

2 minutes ago, Pegg said:

The series also has ALL the weapons from heretic and hexen 2. That's a hell lot more than 12 weapons :P.

On the weapons issue, I don't see the series as much of a series... I mean, the Hexens are different enough from Heretic to be in a different series. Not to mention, most of Heretic's weapons were just re-skins of Doom's weapons. Furthermore, when you play through Hexen or Hexen 2, sure there's 28 weapons among all 7 classes, but you only get 4 of them for the duration of whichever game you choose to play. Some extra weapons wouldn't hurt the "interesting-ness" of the gameplay at all.

At the same time, I see where you're coming from. Some weapons (such as firestorm or bloodscourge) feel as though uniqueness was a higher priority than usefulness. Maybe if the devs weren't afraid of making something that seems "ordinary," the game wouldn't have the balance issues it does...

Well Hexen has heretic 2 plastered all over its source code. I have no idea why they decided to rename it before release unless they had Heretic 2 in the making. The Hexen bosses are D'sparils brothers after all. (And hexen : Beyond Heretic generally means it is the same series   :P)

also 

Just now, Pegg said:

Well Hexen has heretic 2 plastered all over its source code. I have no idea why they decided to rename it before release unless they had Heretic 2 in the making. The Hexen bosses are D'sparils brothers after all. (And hexen : Beyond Heretic generally means it is the same series   :P)

also 

WHO CARES WHAT ROMERO SAYS

1 minute ago, Pegg said:

also 

Oh, I am well aware that Hexen *is* the sequel to Heretic. All I'm saying is that its gameplay and themes are different enough to stand alone as its own game (along with Hexen 2, which had much more in common with Hexen 1). It doesn't even feel like the same game to me...

I'll do a not big not small list.

Rise of Nations

SWAT 4

Descent II

Thievery UT

Age of Empires

Re-Volt

6 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

This game absolutely should've seen a sequel or two with more features.

Yeah, not that crappy WeDon'tFuckingGo "reskin". That Korean company is fine doing it's crap like "peppa pig adventoors", but NOT atop a classic!

17 hours ago, ASD said:

- Abuse

- War of the Monsters

I think that abuse would make a wonderful 3rd person shooter. You should be able to customize your character throughout the game. Instead of power-ups you get suit permutations that enable it to do different things. A few being strength, stealth, environmental and technology.

I have never played the original War of the Monsters but I think it looks really, really fun. This game should be remade with expansion packs to boot.

6 hours ago, Megalyth said:

Ranger-X

This game would make a good 3rd person mech shooter in the same vein as Strike Suit Zero or Renegade Mech Pursuit. The dual nature of the unicycle and the aerial mech would be fun to toy around with in the 3rd person 3D perspective.

Blood.

Also: while I generally disliked StarFox: Adventures, I still think it would be awesome to have another StarFox title in the "Adventures" style, but done competently. I love to explore these characters beyond their spaceships.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Total Annihilation (none of that Supreme commander or planetary annihilation crap)

Uncharted 4

Skyrim

Super Meat Boy

Doom 2016

Quake, a proper sequel, not any of this Strogg nonsense, SiN, it deserves better than that Source game, even though it's not going to happen, one can dream, Rage, continue where it left, fix the flaws of the first game, improve the gameplay, make it more interesting, Tourist Trophy, not going to happen, as PD seems too focused on this FIA partner nonsense with GT Sport, which is a mistake imo, it feels unecessary, lastly a Sleeping Dogs sequel, even though it'll never happen, which is a shame, now that United Front Games is defunct.

Pong

ET

Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing

But on a more serious note:

Banished

2D city builders in the vein of Caesar, Emperor and Pharaoh

Suikoden

Test Drive Unlimited (ONLY if Atari's not involved)

Daggerfall / Morrowind (at least they're kept alive through XL Engine and OpenMW, opening a whole new realm of possibilities)

OFP / Arma / Arma 2 (not going to happen sadly, Arma 3 is nice as a platform but I hate the future setting)

DayZ mod (done proper, not that disaster they call stand-alone)

Gabriel Knight

Codename Iceman

Space Quest

Goblins

The Incredible Machine

Waiting for Elder Scrolls VI, Borderlands 3, and Torchlight 3 (which they said is never coming out and I'm very upset about that). 

I was also ready for Nidhogg 2 until I saw the atrocious artwork on it. 

On 8/2/2017 at 10:56 AM, Pencil of Doom said:

Quake, a proper sequel, not any of this Strogg nonsense.

While I love all the Quake games, I'd love a revisit to the old theme.

Haven't played this game in years but I wouldn't mind seeing a continuation, especially since it left room open for one and the soundtrack was great.

I wouldn't mind a sequel to Star Wars: Empire at War or even Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, hell even an actual Jedi Knight 3 with Kyle Katarn again as the protagonist would be great.

On 03/08/2017 at 4:19 AM, BadLuckBurt said:

Daggerfall / Morrowind (at least they're kept alive through XL Engine and OpenMW, opening a whole new realm of possibilities)

I for one am glad that OpenMW is happening. As for Daggerfall there is also a Unity recreation of it and it looks like it may be getting more attention than the XL version.

I would like to have F.3.A.R. stricken from the record and something that isn't garbage put in its place.

Would also like to finally see a third Condemned game to finish the story. Hell, make it a prequel to FEAR.

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

I for one am glad that OpenMW is happening. As for Daggerfall there is also a Unity recreation of it and it looks like it may be getting more attention than the XL version.

Yes, XL Engine seems to have slowed sadly, it runs quite a few interesting games. I hope Lucius picks it up again when he's ready.

OpenMW is the Holy Grail for me, once Tamriel Rebuilt is finished, I can lock myself in a room for the rest of my life, eat sweetrolls and beat the crap out of those pesky n'wahs invading my beautiful Vvardenfell. There is no escape!

And I just thought of another one that deserves a sequel, Turtles in Time

Oh I have more!

Black & White could use another.

Also I'm ready for another Fable.

I'd really like to see a Duke Nukem 2 sequel that continues the side-scrolling style of the original games. I believe there was some version of Duke for the Game Boy Color, but I'm talking about a modern 2.5d or even completely 2D platformer. That era of Duke is really under appreciated!