Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

Games that Desperately Need Sequels

8 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I'd really like to see a Duke Nukem 2 sequel that continues the side-scrolling style of the original games. I believe there was some version of Duke for the Game Boy Color, but I'm talking about a modern 2.5d or even completely 2D platformer. That era of Duke is really under appreciated!

Well, there's Manhattan Project and Critical Mass. 

Just now, GoatLord said:

Are they any good?

Manhattan Project is excellent, based on my experience playing the demo. I tried buying it about a year ago, but was disappointed to see that it's no longer being sold online. Everyone seems to hate Critical Mass. Don't know much about the GBC game, but Duke Nukem walks like he just crapped his pants. 

9 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Manhattan Project is excellent, based on my experience playing the demo. I tried buying it about a year ago, but was disappointed to see that it's no longer being sold online. Everyone seems to hate Critical Mass. Don't know much about the GBC game, but Duke Nukem walks like he just crapped his pants. 

yeah, Manhattan Project is unavailable on any digital stores ever since Gearbox released World Tour last fall. AND Duke Nukem 1 and 2, for good measure. still haven't put them back up for sale!

Jade Cocoon, in the style of the 1st game, not the 2nd. True beast merging (no predetermined results on the merges), a decent storyline, the original 1v1 style combat, allow the player to be an attacking character as per the 1st game...

Essentially just release the 1st game with a new story kthx.

- An actual Turn Based Strategy in Front Mission. Evolve was okay, but the feel wasn't there.

2 - Lost your Marbles 2

3 - THIS SECTION HAVE BEEN REMOVED DUE TO CEASE AND DESIST FROM VALVE CORPORATION

4 - House of the dead 5 (overkill sucks ass) I really want this series to wrap up

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

They were working on one based on At the Mountains of Madness supposedly, but so far nothing. Also a PC port of the original that isn't broken as shit would be nice.

2 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Thankfully Duke 1 and 2 are on GOG.

no, they're not. do a search for "duke nukem" on there, you won't find anything.

On 8/1/2017 at 1:05 PM, 42PercentHealth said:

A new Hexen would be nice...

I agree, but since it's been so long since Hexen II came out, a reboot is probably more likely...

19 hours ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

no, they're not. do a search for "duke nukem" on there, you won't find anything.

I swear I got my copies from there. I guess they've been taken down.

On a side note, a sequel to Apogee's Raptor: Call of the Shadows would be neat. It's a generic top-down vertical SHMUP, but it's really addictive and fun.

A new Powerslave/Exhumed 

Shadow Warrior 3 

Rise of the Triad 2

and a follow up to the Original Quake.

1 hour ago, GoatLord said:

I swear I got my copies from there. I guess they've been taken down.

that's the things. they were on there, and i presume Steam, up until Gearbox launched World Tour. then every digital Duke Nukem game (1, 2 Manhattan Project and Megaton Edition) were pulled from both GOG and Steam. i get why Megaton were removed even though i don't agree with it, but why pull the other games for?

unavailable. the 3D Realms Anthology cannot be purchased anymore, only the remix soundtrack can. but yes, it had all those Duke games when it was still available to purchase.

On 8/1/2017 at 6:31 PM, Megalyth said:

Doom64 - Basically a "Doom64 2", with the missing monsters and some new ones, along with new, bigger, scarier levels in the style of the original, with a modern spin. This will never happen in any official capacity, of course, but I can dream. Maybe someday a community project will attempt such an undertaking.

Leave that up to talented mappers.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:00 AM, GoatLord said:

Thankfully Duke 1 and 2 are on GOG.

On 8/4/2017 at 0:44 PM, Viscra Maelstrom said:

They are not found at GOG but thankfully they are found at dosgames.com instead. Here they are.

3 hours ago, Glaice said:

Leave that up to talented mappers.

Brutal Doom 64 attempted to be the "full-featured" version of the original, but it's really just a lot of asset manipulation and uneven design—the fogging is missing in some maps and the beautiful lighting effects showcased in demo videos is inconsistently implemented as well.

3 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Brutal Doom 64 attempted to be the "full-featured" version of the original, but it's really just a lot of asset manipulation and uneven design—the fogging is missing in some maps and the beautiful lighting effects showcased in demo videos is inconsistently implemented as well.

Kill the "Brutal" aspect and you'll have a bigger potential audience to help you.

FROM could make a ton of money with a new King's Field game. Miyazaki has even outright said he wouldn't mind doing one, but only if Naotoshi Jin came back to direct.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:55 AM, HavoX said:

I agree, but since it's been so long since Hexen II came out, a reboot is probably more likely...

I'll take it... All I really want is more puzzle-solving with fast-paced hack-and-slash action in an immersive, Hexen-esque environment. If they can get that stuff right, I don't really care whether they call it Hexen 3 or Hexen 2018 (or whatever year)....

Might & Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

I'll take it... All I really want is more puzzle-solving with fast-paced hack-and-slash action in an immersive, Hexen-esque environment. If they can get that stuff right, I don't really care whether they call it Hexen 3 or Hexen 2018 (or whatever year)....

As long as their puzzles aren't incomprehensible (Hexen 1) or completely stupid (Hexen 2's Egyptian puzzles) I'm down.

You mean the floor plate puzzle? It's never specified in-game but when you step on a plate you HAVE to let that plate rise back up again BEFORE stepping on another plate. If the plate stays depressed and you go to another one, even if it's the correct one in sequence you'll get teleported back out. I couldn't figure this puzzle out for years and thought I was never going to beat H2, but it turns out you have to be very patient. Even then the sequence is one of three types guaranteed, and if you fail it in real time it will RANDOMIZE the sequence each time so you can effectively be guessing forever as it switches it up on you.

So this is why they invented the fucking savegame.

That's the one... Thanks for the explanation! I never did figure that puzzle out... I have never seen it NOT be one of the three clue combinations, but I also know I've tried all of them in a single game before, without success.

Also didn't know that about the timing with the floor plates. Very handy!

While you're at it, how about the swamp key puzzle in Hexen 1? Is that also re-randomized each time you get teleported, or do you know?

That is entirely up to RNG AFAIK, you might be able to run down one of the 'tunnels' and get out the first time or it might teleport you back over and over on the same one, forcing you to try a different one, or the same one might work, eventually. It's very unpredictable and annoying.

Here is what I know about that trap:

This is what happens when you approach the key (line on floor):

1) The poison path will never let you pass, it is coded to always fail (all 3 paths use the same script to teleport you, the poison path sends 1 as argument, which always fails.

2) One of the other 2 paths will be picked before even raising the floors.

3) The walls raise and the 2 flame traps start shooting.

Here is what happens when when you cross one of the paths:

1) They all call the same script, The poison path sends 1 as argument, which always fails. The other two send 2 and 3 respectively, only one of them is correct.

2) If you cross the poison or the wrong path you'll be teleported.

3) If you cross the correct path a random number between 0 and 10 is tested to be below 4, if less than 4 you are teleported.

4) You pass [Aka you found the correct path and passed the rng test].

You'll need to test both fire paths several times, you'll need at least quartz flasks (or timing, you can stand between 2 tiles and never get hit by the fire) or an icon of the defender. I just run the middle path 3 times and if it fails I do the same with the other one, Worst case scenario you start alternating or possibly use a chaos device 

The trap will reset and randomize if you exit the room (When the walls lower to be more precise :P). It probably changes the picked path since you cross the line that started the trap again Tested it by finding the correct path then trying the other +50 times, kept teleporting; the path changes only if the trap resets by leaving room. (I thought the script ran a new instance, which is not the case)

Edited by Pegg