Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

First megawad you ever played/beat

On 8/2/2017 at 2:32 PM, scifista42 said:

Played: Destroy Hell by @Matthias, apparently not available on the internet anymore.

Still on my disk in the folder "Shit_I_made"

My first megawad was something a friend made, but I doubt he finished or posted it anywhere. It had most of the graphics and all 32 levels were semi-complete, but it was missing tons of stiff, it was only titled as "WIP13".

First megawad beat was uhh....

...none. I play wads on and off.

I can't remember exactly, to tell the truth. It would've been something from well before I had access to a regular internet connection, meaning that it would've been something from off a shovelware collection, in turn meaning that it almost certainly would've been one of the old compilation megaWADs. I do remember that it was not part of the "Heroes" series (probably the most famous of that lot), which narrows the field somewhat, but not much.

After some thought, a couple of other things I recall: The WAD was definitely for the original Doom, not for the sequel. I believe E3 used a nighttime starry sky with some mountains, rather than anything like a hellscape. I also have the distinct impression that I eventually played a great many of the levels found in the WAD in their original/standalone forms, though that almost goes without saying, I suppose. Ah, well, I'll remember eventually.

Not a megaWAD by the proper definition, but the first mapset I distinctly remember playing and finishing is ASDoom: The Final Countdown, also via shovelware, of course.

I was gonna say Memento Mori, but actually I realize it was probably Scythe because I downloaded it from looking over the Top 100 Doom WADs of all time pages. I didn't actually play through the megawad though cause I happened to start on MAP11 since I was using Doom95 at the time and somehow left the slide-down menu on that slot. Of course I thought that one map was kinda difficult so I eventually went and found Memento Mori and played that one all the way through. I was blown away at the quality of the level design and especially the music that went into it, considering I'd only played the Id Software releases The Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom.

Then I went on after that to play Memento Mori 2, Requiem, Icarus, Alien Vendetta, Eternal Doom, etc...

Cyberdreams was the first I remember beating in its entirety. The first custom level I played, at least the earliest one standing out in memory was Doom Raider: Crypt of the Vile.

Does Hacx count, oh wait not a full 32. Then Maybe Cyberdreams, that's where I learned about shootable switches so, ... I know I was introduced early to Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed 2, and Momento Mori early on via co-op through Player Connector though.

I don't think I really was keen on finishing megawads, or much of anything doom, until Classic Complete dropped on PSN. I then went into a lax purist mode and insisted on using Chocolate Doom as much as possible, which resulted in me finally beating most of the Id and Raven Iwads. So Batman Doom is very likely the first I beat. Go Ace Team.

^ Did you confuse this thread with a thread for wad recommendations, or is your own megawad actually the first megawad you've ever played / fully played through?

If I were to not count testing a megawad my friends were working on at the time then it would be New Gothic Movement 1.

I don't remember exactly. Must have been something off a shovel ware cd. I still have a few of those. The first megawad I definitely remember I memento mori. The room with the pentagram.

It was Eternal Doom by TeamTNT, and I spend many time to complete it.

Very long megawad and not many people will enjoy this because of obtuse progression. Though I have many influence from this.

Ignoring the Final Doom wads, GoldenEye Doom for played (it had a bunch of placeholder levels, I don't think it technically could be beat?), Batman Doom for beat, with shitloads of save-scumming. I think, anyway. I remember playing this other EDGE TC after GoldenEye but I can't remember if I finished that one.

Played AND beat Alien Vendetta on UV, and of course that was back when I save-scummed like crazy. Still an amazing WAD, though.

19 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Played: Alien Doom - this was back in 1995

Beat: I don't even remember - probably the same. 

I thought Alien Doom too, but as it's only one episode I don't think it really counts as a megawad.

I genuinely don't know if I've ever actually beaten an entire megawad. I've played like the first half of loads but rarely see them all the way through.

Quite a necro, isn’t this? 

First megaWAD I played was probably either CC4, or Chillax. Both of these would’ve been on Zandronum co-op at the time. Chillax, I’d expect, would’ve been a very huge shock for me, as I had no concept of what a slaughtermap was at that time.

First megaWAD I beat is a tough one; I tend to have difficulty getting through long sets of maps (just see how many attempts at playthroughs I’ve had for the MegaWAD Club), but was very likely Scythe 1. This was around the time KingDime was prepping to run it at SGDQ 2015(?), so I ended up getting through more than a few of the maps using speed run strats (looking at you, MAP30).

I can't remember, exactly. It was Demonfear, Requiem, or Dimensions of Time, one of those three, but I can't remember which I played or beat first.

Of course, Doom II was the first (obviously not-fan-made) megawad I played and beat.

Sunder was my first entry into custom megawads a couple of years ago. Technically it only has 14 maps, but the scope of each one is massive and my mind still wants to consider it a megawad. After that introduction, I finished Survive In Hell, Ancient Aliens, and more recently, Alien Vendetta.

I thought there were others, but man, the more I think about this, the more I realize I've started a lot of megawads, but haven't finished many. Sunlust, Valiant, Hell Revealed and Scythe come to mind as some of those, but I know there are plenty of others.