Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

I think i made a cool Doom theory :)

I have been thinking about the connection between the 5 doom games recently and came up with this theory: (i am skipping 1 and 2 because we know their story)
This contains spoilers for all doom games
So after Doom 2 the world is saved by doom guy but demons still remain on mars so they bomb the place but after some news about a demon that revives other demons they send doom guy to clean the place up.In the end credits of the game its said that he remains in hell for all eternity to stop the demon horde from coming back,so that wraps up the easy part.Now both Doom 3 and 2016 can be the next in the timeline but in my mind 3 is the last,between 64 and 2016 some demons "carve his legend into stone" and some capture him and put him into a sacrophagus for a long time.In 2016 Olivia unleashes hell on the mars base and doom guy (now doom slayer the demons nickname for him ;) ) basicaly does what he does best,"riping and tearing".After that Doom 3 happens.
"Why are you sure about that?"-you ask
because of this

this is the doom 1 cover easter egg (yes i am using easter eggs for reasoning my theory because it's a theory) from doom 3,in this picture doom guy is seen fighting of demons with the soul cube,an ancient mars weapon to kill demons,but that doesn't appear in doom 1 it does however in Doom 2016 (as an easter egg).

Now its getting into fan fiction teritory:
In Doom 20XX doom slayer uses the soul cube to fight of demons in X-location then after than demons make legends about it and even draw it on stone tablets for altars and stuff (yes i am bad at fan fiction)

well thats it,i will probably correct and add some stuff in this theory later on (its 3:30 at the time of writing) and sorry for potential bad english (no one is good in their 3rd language after 3 am)

1. Doom 1- unaware marine forced to fight demons
2. Doom 2- battle hardened marine forced to fight demons
3. Doom 64- veteran marine forced to fight demons
4. Doom 2016- angry marine forced to fight demons

Pretty much what he said. Basically we are just a Marine who is sent to Mars after telling a superior to go fuck himself and then end up having to fight Demons for basically all eternity, getting more and more annoyed, angry, and disturbed with every iteration.

getting more and more annoyed, angry, and disturbed with every iteration.

For some reason, this made me wonder how a Doom game would be if it broke the fourth wall.

7 hours ago, Voros said:

For some reason, this made me wonder how a Doom game would be if it broke the fourth wall.

>plays megawad

>demons again

"Why do I keep doing this?"/"I thought the UAC would've learnt it's lesson..."

In the end, you still have to defeat the Cyberdemon by yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pay4oD19Is

Demo: http://doomedsda.us/lmps/947/7/e2m8p1242.zip

25 minutes ago, Am4uryXp said:

What if you just play the game without killing any demon?

There's already the Pacifist style of play that does that. There, you're not allowed to kill any monsters directly (by weapons). I'm not sure how traps such as crushers are handled...maybe you're not allowed to use them if they are player-controlled or something. Infighting is fair game.

However, even more interesting would be a "Pro-Life" subcategory of Pacifist, where you  must complete a level without ANY monster dying, no matter the cause. Think that's trivial?

1 minute ago, Maes said:

There's already the Pacifist style of play that does that. There, you're not allowed to kill any monsters directly (by weapons). I'm not sure how traps such as crushers are handled...maybe you're not allowed to use them if they are player-controlled or something. Infighting is fair game.

However, even more interesting would be a "Pro-Life" subcategory of Pacifist, where you  must complete a level without ANY monster dying, no matter the cause. Think that's trivial?

So if infighting starts, you're fucked?

33 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

So if infighting starts, you're fucked?

Exactly. Part of the challenge would be to move in such a way to avoid alerting monsters and/or minimizing the chance of infighting. Now, I realize that getting "0% kills" may be next to impossible(!) on some levels even if the player actively does nothing...so in that case the "challenge" could be relaxed to "Finish a level as quickly as possible AND with the least number of kills possible". This would encompass typical Pacifist style tactics and strategies, but could also be open to some variants, e.g. allowing the player to kill some monsters selectively, if that would result in less overall casualties.

They can just use "changemap" if they play on zdoom
Emm Maes why is the title of that thread you made in Deutsch? ;)

3 minutes ago, Maes said:

I think TVTropes can explain it better than me :-p

Hide contents

And if you still haven't gotten the reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golem:_How_He_Came_into_the_World

Ah a reference and this "foreign language title" thing can get funny sometimes like in the comic "Uber (U umlaut)" wich is about WWII with super people,Uber (The U is umlaut but i don't know how to do it :( ) means "above" in that context but i like to think that its "about" and not "above" so the comic is called "About" for me XD.
Also if you do it right you can use a dialect of a language to break google translate.

I've never really thought of playing doom in a "Pacifist" sorta way. I wonder if there's any kinda little mod that enforces such thing, such as removing your weaponry, or putting an extra rule that if any monsters die, you'll die too. Well, maybe not the "if monster dies, you die" bit.

38 minutes ago, AdirBlaz said:

I've never really thought of playing doom in a "Pacifist" sorta way. I wonder if there's any kinda little mod that enforces such thing, such as removing your weaponry, or putting an extra rule that if any monsters die, you'll die too. Well, maybe not the "if monster dies, you die" bit.

UV pacifist has been a recognized COMPET-N category for years, and no enforcing mods were ever needed, other than the competitors' own drive. What I proposed is essentially a twist/variant on Pacifist (no monsters allowed to die/least monsters to die wins).

On Thursday, August 03, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Voros said:

1. Doom 1- unaware marine forced to fight demons
2. Doom 2- battle hardened marine forced to fight demons
3. Doom 64- veteran marine forced to fight demons
4. Doom 2016- angry marine forced to fight demons

5. Doom 5 - bored marine forced to fight demons

Just now, Ichor said:

5. Doom 5 - bored marine forced to fight demons

Doom 6- marine would rather kill himself than fight more of those goddamn demons

Just now, TootsyBowl said:

Doom 6- marine would rather kill himself than fight more of those goddamn demons

Doom 7- dead marine that killed himslef because he doesn't want to fight demons anymore fighting demons in hell