Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xenaero

Was FWATER1-4 used in Doom 1?

I see it defined in the WAD but I don't remember where in any of the episodes it was actually used. Even E4.

Spawned from a discussion a friend and I were talking about. I mentioned FWATER1-4 not being in Doom1 and hes like, 'no it's there'. So I was like, 'where is it used'. I simply cannot remember any level it's in. I've always assumed it began in Doom2 with map01 (after seeing it 16 billion times in multiplayer matches) but clearly this is not the case if it's in the WAD, which I looked in and verified. It can't be unused?!

edit: it's in e3m2 underneath the skull thing near one of the first wall lowering switches you come across, I'm a fucking idiot, I've seen that shit 8 thousand times and it clearly never registered.

It's only in episodes 3 and 4. You don't notice how rare the water is in D1 until you realize it wasn't in the first two episodes at all despite being all over the place in D2 and onward.

Heh, I pored over doom.wad way back in the DTWID/early-NEIS days looking for FWATER1 for various reasons, and discovered it technically does appear in E2 -- in exactly two sectors. What a weird weird world.

Since E3M6 is one of my favorite levels in Doom 1, I'll never forget the giant water pool around the secret exit.

Was gonna mention e3m6's usage. Then, I think it was used in e4m9. 

EDIT: Since I had some time, I decided to use it in a non productive way so, here goes. I oppened each maps from UDoom in gzdb and lauched a "sector flat (any)" search for "F_WATER*" where * corresponds to the animation numbers (1 through 4). 

e1m1 - NONE
e1m2 - NONE
e1m3 - none
e1m4 - none
e1m5 - none
e1m6 - none
e1m7 - none
e1m8 - none
e1m9 - none

e2m1 - none
e2m2 - none
e2m3 - none
e2m4 - none
e2m5 - 1: Sector 49 (near the exit)
e2m6 - none
e2m7 - none
e2m8 - none
e2m9 - 1: Sector 0, where the soulsphere (cacodemon room) is located

e3m1 - none
e3m2 - 7 times: Sectors 3, 12, 23, 26, 44, 66, 67 (most so far)
e3m3 - 5 times: Sectors 16, 51, 61, 68, 70
e3m4 - 1: Sector 139 (you step in it to open a door i think, there are 
some pinkies nearby)

e3m5 - 1: Sector 266 
e3m6 - 3 times (pretty much the near the secret exit): Sectors 85, 88 and 

e3m7 - none
e3m8 - none
e3m9 - none

e4m1 - none
e4m2 - 1: Sector 82 (the pillar that raises on the stairs leading to the cyberdemon)
e4m3 - none
e4m4 - 1: Sector 75 (there is a multiplayer soulsphere in it and a deathmatch start nearby if that helps)
e4m5 - none
e4m6 - none
e4m7 - none
e4m8 - 9 times (the area with all the column lifts): Sectors 121,122,124,144,146,150,153,155 and 156
e4m9 - 8 times: Sectors 9,10,123,149,187,192,201 and 204

Total usage in E1: 0
Total usage in E2: 2 (maps 5 and 9)
Total usage in E3: 17 (maps 2,3,4,5 and 6)
Total usage in E4: 19 (maps 2, 4, 8 and 9)

Total usage overall: 38 (not equal to) total amount of maps in Ultimate Doom. Illuminati NOT confirmed. Sorry...

So there ya go. The most times these were used were in episodes 3 and 4. You'd think a hell themed episode (e3) would have none but heh, what do we know :)

Edited by Yugiboy85 : I suck at math... (thx scifista42, I completely forgot 2 instances haha)

With SLADE you can use "replace in maps" to replace, say, F_WATER1 with F_WATER1 and you'll get the list how many textures were replaced in each map.

4 hours ago, Yugiboy85 said:

Total usage in E3: 15

According to your per-map info, actually 17. Which makes the overall total 38 rather than 36. SLADE3 confirms that 38 is correct.

5 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

I totally forgot about the inaccessible water in E2M5, shit.

You can lead a Doomguy to water but can't make him drink.

13 hours ago, Yugiboy85 said:

So there ya go. The most times these were used were in episodes 3 and 4. You'd think a hell themed episode (e3) would have none but heh, what do we know :)

Initially I thought this too, but then when you think about it, Phobos has a very low chance of having any water and aside from the demon invasion and E1M8 it is a human made base on a natural moon, and it would be a surreal and hellish thing to have random pools of water in Hell itself.

Then again you'd think the humans would have bath tubs, sinks, or hot tubs, so who knows.

On 03/08/2017 at 7:14 PM, Nevander said:

Someone has a lot of free time.

To be fair, this didn't take me as long as I thought it would. Probably 3-5 minutes tops. 

@Scyfista42: Haha, yeah, I just realised. Thx for letting me know. I fail at simple maths sometimes

@Gez: I didn't know that actually heh. But then again, I did kinda want to have a map per map analysis so heh. Thx for the tip though :)

I'd only played Shareware Doom by the time I got Doom2 and for some reason I fell in love with that deep-blue color of the water. When I started mapping a couple years later I'd already played bermuda.wad and a few others that used their own custom WFALL texture but naturally I just assumed in was part of the iwad, I remember thinking I'd lost my mind when I couldn't find it in the list of textures. It seemed so strange to have one for nukage and blood but not for water! I never had the urge to make a map full of the poop water so I didn't even notice the lack of a brown-fall texture until years later. [/random ramble]

On 8/5/2017 at 7:33 AM, Doomkid said:

I'd only played Shareware Doom by the time I got Doom2 and for some reason I fell in love with that deep-blue color of the water. When I started mapping a couple years later I'd already played bermuda.wad and a few others that used their own custom WFALL texture but naturally I just assumed in was part of the iwad, I remember thinking I'd lost my mind when I couldn't find it in the list of textures. It seemed so strange to have one for nukage and blood but not for water! I never had the urge to make a map full of the poop water so I didn't even notice the lack of a brown-fall texture until years later. [/random ramble]

Is it even used as poop water most of the time? Most of the time it's just an alternate nukage.