Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Did "The shores of ZDoom" authors lose interest?

This TSoZD mod, an ambitious ZDoom remake of the Doom 1 episode, started many years ago, and recently when I asked about it, the response from third parties was pessimistic. Is it in deep hiatus? Did the authors lose interest? I can imagine why: the maps by definition can't be original, and the high detail ("needs more detail") joke is old. Smarter is to make original maps with common elements to Deimos moon base, not be stuck on a template.

I'm quietly confident that the team has been unable to move forward out of the fear that they might complete the project faster than it would take to find a better name for E3 than "ZInferno."

I hope my original post didn't look heavily dismissive. I'd love to see this completed, and I'd love to play it, especially if Graf Zahl gets involved as a mapper.

Just call it "Inferno of ZDoom" or "ZDoom's Inferno." Easy.

I'd love to see it finished too, I even did a remake of E2M8 personally but never released it. I was hoping me and some other dude could remake the second episode but we only got two maps done, three if we were to include another made by someone else.

It's on hiatus. I believe there's still interest in getting back to it at some point, but I've been distracted with BTSX stuff (and with work and life stuff in general), and Vader has been away and busy with other things, so it hasn't been moving for a while.

when was announced the sequel, TSoZD?...like 7 years ago? can't remember...

Besides Shores of Zdoom I'm still wondering if Knee-Deep in KDiZD  will ever see the light day which sadly hasn't had progress update since December of 09 :(

2 minutes ago, Philnemba said:

Besides Shores of Zdoom I'm still wondering if Knee-Deep in KDiZD  will ever see the light day which sadly hasn't had progress update since December of 09 :(

KDiKDiZD isn't happening unless it gets restarted from scratch someday. It's old, old, old stuff, full of awkward and incomplete aspects that would take a lot of work to fix and finish, and my whole mindset for mapping is so different than it was a decade ago that I'd want to change nearly everything about it.

1 minute ago, esselfortium said:

KDiKDiZD isn't happening unless it gets restarted from scratch someday. It's old, old, old stuff, full of awkward and incomplete aspects that would take a lot of work to finish, and my whole mindset for mapping is different than it was a decade ago so I'd want to change nearly everything about it.

Geez....doing it from scratch can be painful and it'll take some time...

5 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Geez....doing it from scratch can be painful and it'll take some time...

Starting from scratch can oftentimes be a lot quicker and easier than pushing hundreds or thousands of vertices around for the sake of preserving something of a "bygone age". That aside, it's also quite nice to start with a similar base concept, but doing so on a blank slate, because there's less things that somehow inhibit creativity.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Starting from scratch can oftentimes be a lot quicker and easier than pushing hundreds or thousands of vertices around for the sake of preserving something of a "bygone age". That aside, it's also quite nice to start with a similar base concept, but doing so on a blank slate, because there's less things that somehow inhibit creativity.

and please......not 666 keys again like in the original one....

Nine, that's true.

57 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

and please......not 666 keys again like in the original one....

Nine, that's true.

Afaik, you can only have up to 3 keys (skulls and cards are counted as the same keys) in vanilla doom. Seeing how kdikdizd was supposed to be for vanilla, it would not be possible to have the 6 separate keys that kdizd had :) 

Just now, Yugiboy85 said:

Afaik, you can only have up to 3 keys (skulls and cards are counted as the same keys) in vanilla doom. Seeing how kdikdizd was supposed to be for vanilla, it would not be possible to have the 6 separate keys that kdizd had :) 

That's one of the features that I didn't liked it the most, the use of keys. It involved so much backtracking man...

36 minutes ago, Gez said:

There's no difference between a key and a switch.

No keys just open doors whereas switches do a lot more.Its like pcs and consoles,you play games on both but the pc does a lot more stuff

7 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

I'm quietly confident that the team has been unable to move forward out of the fear that they might complete the project faster than it would take to find a better name for E3 than "ZInferno."

Why not Zin Fernet Branco?

19 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Why not Zoidberg?

Tempered by the fires of hell, his iron will remained steadfast through the passage that preys upon the weak.

He set forth without pity, and hunted the slaves of Doom with barbarous cruelty.

Unbreakable, incorruptible, unyeilding.

None could stand before the horde but Zoidberg, for he alone was the Hero.

The Plutonia Zdoomification

TNT ZDoomilution

Doom 2: Hell on ZDoom