Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

NoDoom - Play Doom without sprites & sound!

QW6rT0Q.png

So I've been working on some maps that require the player not to see/hear their weapons, and in doing so I kinda went overboard and just replaced every sprite and sound in Doom 2 with... well, nothing.

Download NoDoom (ver. A) here

Included in the zip file is NoDoom.wad, which replaces a variety of things with "nothing" in an attempt to make the game somewhat playable, along with a subset of wads that remove specific things (like all projectile sprites, or weapon sprites, sounds, etc.) Dunno if anyone ever wanted to play Doom this way, but if that they wanted to, well, here you go!

The mod is harder than I thought...unless that you have the monster placement memorized, you'll die a bunch of times. Great challenge.

I think if you take away the sprites but leave the sounds it could be scarier... as you know there are enemies, you hear them, but you don't know where they are...

Since I used Zandronum, I was trying to pinpoint the location of the monsters by the dyn lights :D

Doom just turned into a horror movie. With every step, the ghosts might awaken and wreak havoc onto Doomguy.

I bet DM would be boring though.

This would have been hilarious anti-piracy measures if Doom were capable of doing such a thing at the time of release.

OH!!! I have a better idea..........I'll be back.

Got the perfect setting for it, I'll do a short video of it and not using dyn lights.....evil laughter

EDIT: Video done.

Edited by leodoom85

5 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

So I've been working on some maps that require the player not to see/hear their weapons

I don't know what you're doing but I already like it.

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

(this is an unlisted video, should I make this public?)

You can do whatever you want with it, it's your video.

Also just a quick comment—despite this being mostly a joke wad, NoDoom.wad is balanced to be playable with the IWADs, so if you're interesting in an unconventional Doom experience where you have to intuit enemy patterns and attack timings (like maximizing tracer damage on the BFG without its sprite or attack sound), then I'd recommend giving it a shot.

25 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

You can do whatever you want with it, it's your video.

Also just a quick comment—despite this being mostly a joke wad, NoDoom.wad is balanced to be playable with the IWADs, so if you're interesting in an unconventional Doom experience where you have to intuit enemy patterns and attack timings (like maximizing tracer damage on the BFG without its sprite or attack sound), then I'd recommend giving it a shot.

Gotcha. The mod itself has a lot of options that the player can do, providing a nice challenge. 

EDIT: Video is public. After all I needed to add your username in the credits :)

Edited by leodoom85

Really fascinating idea, dobu.

How playable is this? Would it be fair to make easier versions that maybe include sounds, HUD graphics, and/or death animations?

6 hours ago, 40oz said:

How playable is this?

Very! Have you not looked at the main wad? Only NoDoomZ.wad removes everything—all the the wads included remove only one category of things, and NoDoom.wad removes a mix of things. For instance, in NoDoom.wad former humans and pinkies are invisible until they attack, arachnatrons are fully visible but their projectiles are invisible, the cyberdemon is fully invisible and silent until he attacks but his rockets are also invisible, etc, etc.