Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
inbtwn

How do you launch your Doom games/mods?

(this is referring to Doom 1/2)

I have a question for you all... how do you launch your Doom wads? Because I currently use a program called Doom Launcher but it's kind of glitchy and doesn't have working stats saving for some reason (but I use it because it saves a copy of every wad I import to its own folder). I'm wondering if you peeps have any better solutions for playing Doom mods and whatnot. Whether it be an external program, batch files, or something else. How do you guys launch your Doom .wads?

(I'm still sort of new to Doom so go easy on me, hehe)

I just drag and drop the files in the executable. However, I have been using command lines (Really simple text files that you save as a batch afterwards) quite alot lately, especially when I play on prboom+ 

Basically, open notepad and edit it to your convenience. 

Example, let's say you would want to play doom 2 with scythe2. You would type in something like this: 

[sourceport name] (no brackets and has to be the EXACT name of the executable. Example: prboom-plus) followed by -iwad DOOM2.wad (can change, depending on the mod) -file modname.wad (here, scythe2.wad) And that's pretty much it. I suppose you could also specify the complevel (if using a port like prboom+) too.

Your file would look like this: 

I will use prboom+ for this example. 

prboom-plus -iwad DOOM2.wad -file Scythe2.wad -complevel 2

Then, save it as a batch file and put it in the same folder as your sourceport and IWAD (though, in most cases, your sourceport will always be in the same folder as your IWADS). Then double click and voila. Oh, and make sure the pwad(s) is also in that same folder. 

Oh, if using complevel, here are the most used I guess. 

2 - Doom v1.9 

3 - Ultimate Doom

4 - Final doom (plutonia and tnt) and doom95

9 - Boom v2.02 (For use with well, boom wads like sunlust)

Some wads require specific complevel if you are running them in ports like prboom+. For example, valiant is MBF so you will need to launch it with a complevel of 11

You can also use the batch file to record demos and stuff. 

Edited by Yugiboy85

For demo recordings I launch wads with zdl. For simple gameplay I copy and drop files on source port or use "skins" folder (in zdoom based ports). 

7 minutes ago, Yugiboy85 said:

[snip]

Yeah I just might end up sorting the PWADs by folder and making batch files for each combo. Thanks! Also, I've never used prBoom+, only (G)ZDoom, Doom Retro, and Choco/Crispy Doom. Are there any advantages to using Boom over the others?

1 minute ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

For demo recordings I launch wads with zdl. For simple gameplay I copy and drop files on source port or use "skins" folder (in zdoom based ports). 

a) what's ZDL (still new to this, apologies)? and b) what's the 'skins' folder do?

Just now, Spriteclad said:

Also, I've never used prBoom+, only (G)ZDoom, Doom Retro, and Choco/Crispy Doom. Are there any advantages to using Boom over the others?

Honestly, it's up to your preference. Prboom+ is mainly used if you are gonna record demos and stuff and it is the prefered port. If you are a mapper however, then I suppose it's not just a matter of preference. Say you want to make a map for I dunno, vanilla doom, well, you would have to test it extensively in a port like chocolate doom to make sure the map runs in the intended port. 

If you are a player, then just go with whatever port you prefer. 

2 minutes ago, Spriteclad said:

Yeah I just might end up sorting the PWADs by folder and making batch files for each combo. Thanks! Also, I've never used prBoom+, only (G)ZDoom, Doom Retro, and Choco/Crispy Doom. Are there any advantages to using Boom over the others?

a) what's ZDL (still new to this, apologies)? and b) what's the 'skins' folder do?

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

b)automatically loads wads if they're put in this folder.

I use a shit load of batch files located beside my GZDoom EXE. The naming convention of them are as follows: [name of mod or game] [game it runs with] [levels replaced if any]. So as an example, here's my batch file to run Hellbound for Doom II:

File name: Hellbound (Doom II).bat

Contents:

@echo off
start gzdoom.exe -file custom\Hellbnd.wad custom\HBDEHACKED.txt custom\pk_anim2.wad custom\pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad

I have .wad and .pk3 file suffixes set up so that, upon double-clicking a file with this suffix, it will be opened with a source port directly. I almost never want to load multiple wads together, so this works perfectly for me. The files can be anywhere on my computer and no separate program needs to be launched. Just double-click a file and play immediately.

I use CMD and type the commands. Each wad in their corresponding folder with the source port of my choice. This way is more confortable to use multiple save states for a single wad. 

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

I have .wad and .pk3 file suffixes set up so that, upon double-clicking a file with this suffix, it will be opened with a source port directly

I associated WADs and PK3s (and PAKs) with SLADE so that I can easily open them up.

CLICK AND PLAY!
CLICK AND PLAY!

With the occasional mods via drag and drop. But if I need to use more parameters like +logfile, -warp, etc. then it's cmd line.

UPDATE: I recently switched from Doom Launcher to a little program called Rocket Launcher (as well as organizing my mods into actual folders). It's a cool little launcher program that is a little bit more straightforward than editing batch files all the time. Check it out here!

I'll give Doom Explorer a shot too! Thanks Doomkid!

Just open notepad and type this format

(Your source port here ) -complevel 9

-iwad (your iwad here) -file ( your pwad here) 

So if I want to play scythe in prboom plus,  I would type:

Prboom-plus.exe -complevel 9 - iwad Doom2.wad -file scythe.wad

Save it as a .bat file then just launch the bat file

done ;)

You can also use launchers , however you can't modify the launchers to use a specific complevel so they will always use the default complevel . Normally it should not be a problem , but I always play in the boom compatibility (9) .

I am sure launchers like zdl which supports extra command line parameters can fix my issue , but I simply just cannot change my gaming style . I always like the bat file method since it's just a matter of double click and your game is ready to go.

If using PR/GLBoom+, I select the wad I want to play and any other enhancements through the launcher. For GZDoom, I use ZDL and have various combinations saved as an .ini file. i.e. Cosmetic mods with vanilla wads, gameplay mods etc.

After messing around a long and unsatisfying time with my supa-dupa-cando-everything launcher "doom processing unit" ten years ago or so, 

I stopped using launcher-utilities at all. You get never exactly what you need and checking/installing/configurating every tool takes simply too much time.
Further on, I am using Linux, and there aren't soo many launchers around...:-)
For me the fastest solution is good old command line!

For the curious: here is a screenshot of my ridiculous abomination Doom Processing Unit :-)

dpu.jpg

On 8/5/2017 at 2:07 AM, DoomGater said:

[snip]

-snip-

Edited by Spriteclad

Wow, can't delete posts, eh? Lame. Anyways, I've been content with using Rocket Launcher since I organize my maps, mods, and sourceports in different folders under the same folder (my DOOM folder). I'd use batch files if I could, but in that case I'd have to use the filepath along with the filename since it's in a different location. (If I used Linux I certainly would use commandline though. :P) Thanks for letting me know, though, guys!

Associate .wad files with Zandronum. Put them in the skins folder if I need to load multiple. Right click -> Open with -> [supported port] if Zandronum doesn't work with it.

If it's a single file, I "Open with" it with Doom Retro or QZDoom, or just plain command line if I need some extra arguments (such as recording).

If it's several, I open them all in SLADE and use the "Run" option.

Also, if a single WAD is split across multiple files (mostly old total conversions), then I'll cram everything into a single WAD and conveniently use it like that.