Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

Quake I vs II

it's kinda a tough decision for me...i love both games. But I think I'll have to go with Quake I. It looks a little bit cleaner to me and the gun moves when you walk...i can't having no gunwalk animation!!

Quake 1 runs better, the enemies play more interestingly imo, and is more fun (to me at least) when not strafe jumping than 2. Q2 is so slow it honestly feels like a slough unless you're Strafe Jumping. I think most of the strogg are boring and uninteresting enemies, especially in comparison to Q1's cast.

Quake, it's the better game, Quake II feels like a mess, the power armor renders you almost immune to everything, making normal armor useless, the chaingun or hyperblaster with quad is death in a few seconds for anything you put it against, the final boss is a joke, bfg with quad and it's over.

20 minutes ago, Pencil of Doom said:

the final boss is a joke, bfg with quad and it's over.

Because Quake 1 final boss is better.

Overall, Quake 1 is better. Quake 2 is great too but since you can store the items and use it at a specific time, it's easier.

8 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Overall, Quake 1 is better. Quake 2 is great too but since you can store the items and use it at a specific time, it's easier.

Even funnier with Quake 2 is that once you get to Makron, you can use Invulnerability and Quad Damage together with the BFG9K and kill him in less than 5 seconds. >:)

Just now, Master O said:

Even funnier with Quake 2 is that once you get to Makron, you can use Invulnerability and Quad Damage together with the BFG9K and kill him in less than 5 seconds. >:)

Yup. I know that. Makron sucks. Shub-Niggurath is better as a final boss...but Chthon gets all of the credit.

I really like Quake 2 but its definitely far too easy so Quake 1 is a lot more fun for me. Quake 2 would probably be much better if they dropped the inventory, or at least tweaked it some, since letting you store quad damages and invulnerabilities is just not a good idea in my eyes.

Ground Zero brute-forced the problem by simply giving bosses a shield when you use a quad or double damage.

In my opinion, most of the game with inventory system may be easier because you can have some significant powerups when needed. Or this is a good excuse for map designers to be lazy because the placements of powerup are not that strict now.

Definitely I like the weapon variety in Q2, but Q1 is more challenging and I had more memory about it. BTW, don't know why, I really like the Runic Keys in Q1 and the pickup sound is really satisfying.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Yup. I know that. Makron sucks. Shub-Niggurath is better as a final boss...but Chthon gets all of the credit.

I dunno. As a player, if you want fun, you can fight the Makron without stacking quads. There's nothing you can do to make Shub more interesting.

Just now, Jon said:

I dunno. As a player, if you want fun, you can fight the Makron without stacking quads. There's nothing you can do to make Shub more interesting.

I did all of that, trust me. Using items butcher all of the challenge. And when I played Quake 1 for the first time, I didn't knew how to kill that boss until I figured it out....

Quake all the way!
IMHO it was the last game by the company that had this incomparable id style!

According to the Book (masters of DOOM) I think Adrian Carmack deserves most of the credit for the look and atmosphere. 

When Quake II came out I was SO disappointed I can't even describe (I think Tim W. was lead by that time)...  but I still had hope.   Well...  the full game wasn't any better ; )

I guess most people who love Quake II over Quake and Doom are the ones who player Q II first and then later went on to try also the older games. 

16 minutes ago, Jon said:

try this...    a map that features two different ways to kill Chthon and Shub without the use of a mod.

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/iam1.html

Definitely Quake 2. Unlike its predecessor, the levels felt like the could have been simplified version of real locations.

Many of Quake 1's levels were just collections of supposedly neat 3D gimmicks but never went far beyond that. In terms of gameplay, what makes me dislike Q1 so much is having the Ogre as a common enemy.

7 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

In terms of gameplay, what makes me dislike Q1 so much is having the Ogre as a common enemy.

You know, I definitely didn't mind the ogre as much as some of the other *ahem* less forgiving enemies. I'm mainly talking about the Shamblers and those exploding slime thingies (though the way they bounced all around was neat).

As far as favorite Quake, I'd say Q1 whole-heartedly. I've never revisited Q2 past the first few levels and not nearly as many times as Q1. It's an overall tighter gameplay experience (makes sense since Romero was still around during production).

It's an interesting case. Quake 2 in some ways is vastly superior to Quake 1. It has so many things sorely lacking in Quake, and dominates by numbers. It brings in mission objectives (not every map is a generic exit quest!), mission briefings, powerful ambient events, superior enemy AI (they evade your projectiles and even attempt surprise shots), many more weapons, many more enemies, levels which can be revisited, many boss types, and pretty much every kind of trap that has existed in Quake 1. The main theme is much more technological than the damp dungeons of Quake 1. So in many aspects, Quake 1 looks like a stub compared to Quake 2.

Tragically, Quake 2 is plagued by bugs. Not even when I still had Windows 98 could I cleanly play it. I often had troubles with sounds and the 3D models. Meanwhile, Quake 1 can be played even today, thanks to WinQuake.exe, which comes with the game.

Also, Quake 2, being techbase, inevitably is going to feel predictable and generic, unlike Quake 1, which can surprise you with any fantasy elements. And the Quake 2 gameplay largely feels like something to be found in Doom 2 techbase megawads. Most of the aliens and weapons have the same proportions as in Doom 2. Tell me that fighting icarus Strogg is any different from fighting cacodemons with the SSG, or tanks any different from mancubi. This is unlike Quake, where monsters such as ogres or fiends have no equivalents in Doom (they're more related to the Doom 3 monsters which are generally heavier and tougher).

42 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Definitely Quake 2. Unlike its predecessor, the levels felt like the could have been simplified version of real locations.

If you think of Q1's environments as deathtraps designed to kill intruders (the player) as the monsters are also designed to do nothing but murder everything that is not them (most are caked in blood) it makes these otherworldly places a lot more interesting. They're more like eldritch trials, to challenge the strong and punish the weak, than to serve a practical purpose.

Also Q1.

I prefer Quake 2 because I've grown tired of Lovecraftian atmospheres, they lost their charm.

I do acknowledge the many faults of Q2 however, such as the Inventory making things easy, lack of major visual themes (everything is a techbase because it takes place in Stroggos) and enemy design being too similar to Doom's at times (Not exactly a bad thing, but I'd rather take something new than rehashing the tried and tested).

I'd be up for playing a Q2 mod that rebalances the game and removes inventory, but I know nothing of the engine to do it myself.

As for Q1, I don't really hate it, I just can't bring myself to go back to it as much, It was id's first true 3d engine, it was their first time adjusting the FPS gameplay of the times into an engine that expected the player to aim up and down, and for enemies to be vertically off-screen, so a few mistakes were made (Ogres being common, Annoying black bouncy things) while many things worked great (Ambiance, the way the 3d brush placement was used, lore).

I love Q1, but Q2 MP is still pretty awesome.  Being around during it's peak was amazing.  The MP of Q2 was unmatched and genuinely fun, it's still played today on Tastyspleen.  In some ways I prefer the techbase theme of Q2 and I like how Q1 is a clean, no BS game. 

Q2 PSX MP with a multi-tap was a blast, too.

Both games are too different to really compare, especially considering Quake 2 wasn't even supposed to be a Quake sequel.

With all the Quake talk that's been floating around, I decided to try Quake 2: The Reckoning a couple hours ago. I don't remember Quake 2 being anywhere near this dull. I'm not sure if it's the level design for this specific expansion pack, or if Quake 2 just hasn't aged well with me on a personal level. The best thing I can say about this is that the difficulty feels appropriately balanced (so far), which it certainly wasn't in the original campaign.

I'll admit that Quake 2 had larger levels, and the hub definitely made it feel more open-ended compared to the first Quake. However, I'm a complete sucker for Quake 1's spooky atmosphere. Combine that with Trent Reznor's most scary ambient soundtrack, and it's a match made in heaven... Err, hell. The whole game just feels otherworldly, and because the story is so absent, it just makes you create the lore in your mind. As a small example: you can find zombies usually at the bottom of pits and shallow water, so as a kid I always thought that those zombies were the bodies of people suffering from diseases of some sort being thrown down into the dungeons to rot. What about things like those skinned faces on the walls?? What's the story behind that? Stuff like that is usually over-explained in modern media, but in Quake 1 those little things play with your head in a good way.

With Quake 2 the story is all cut and clear, and they even explain your objectives quite thoroughly in both the objective-screen and the cutscenes. I don't think it's a horrible story by any means, but as with any game that tries to tell any sort of story, I would rather have it conveyed through visuals and gameplay. I feel this is something that a lot of games even today suffer from. Especially since Quake 2 wasn't trying to be Shakespearean in any way, I think it's kind of a missed opportunity.

My main problem with Quake 2 is just how damn repetitive everything is. The soundtrack is nothing short of awesome, but because every tune gets looped every few levels, you get sick of hearing it after playing for longer than an hour or so. The upside of Quake having a more ambient soundtrack means that it fits almost every level without feeling repetitive. I also have to say that I was disappointed to see that vanilla Quake 2 ditched the HUD-face. Especially considering that it was there in Quake 2 Test.

Similar to the first Doom, Quake 1 is very much a product of its time. Being the mid-90s, the dark grungy industrial atmosphere seems very much reflective of media back in those days. Quake 2 goes down a more predictable sci-fi action route, and that's where it loses a lot of the fans, because the sci-fi setting was already done before in video games by that point.

I feel like they should have titled Quake 2 differently, since it has literally nothing in common with Quake. It should have been called "Stroggos", or "The Battle for Stroggos". I don't fucking know. Anything but Quake.

For me, Quake I was an awesome and terrifying experience, primarily because of the capacity of the engine to render total darkness. This, I believe, was responsible for creating the spooky atmosphere. Couple that with "true" 3D environments, and all of a sudden you don't know out of which shadowed corner your next nightmare will emerge (or, more precisely, leap out).

I thoroughly enjoyed Quake II for the precise reasons that some people have expressed as objections - the inventory system, the quasi-realistic "base" environment, the mission objectives, the similarities to DooM enemies. It was also a technological leap from Q1. I agree that Q2 really wasn't a sequel to Q1.

For my part, I enjoyed both games, and would recommend them both.

Quake II was one of the defining games of my childhood, right alongside Doom 2 and Half-Life. I had the shareware episode of Quake I but to me it didn't look or feel nearly as good as Quake II so I would always play that instead, and I sure played the hell out of it.

I think they're both equally good for different reasons. Quake 2 has the better expansions overall though.

They're both great imo. But like others said, I also found that Quake II was way easier and didn't have the same atmosphere, still had good moment though. I really had more difficulties in Quake I as a kid than any other Quake or Doom games.

I love Quake I for its atmosphere and textures. I like Quake 2 for its soundtrack and overall sound design.

Expanding my earlier post with a litte more on Quake.   
In one direction Quake 1 aged a little bad IMO. It's the Single Player experience.    Every two Years or so I replay the original, the expansions packs and my fav custom maps...   but each time it becomes simpler. I can almost play it blindfolded on Nightmare....

The atmosphere is STILL great... when playing with the Reznor soundtrack (and ONLY the Reznor music - since everything else doesn't even get close) but it's just way too easy since the Quake Monsters cannot compete with the gameplay variety that Doom allows.    Another thing is that I only like original id Style maps. The more recent Maps - while beautifully crafted - are just not the same game anymore - cause it's too realistic. If I am looking for realistic I play any other game - but not Quake!

All that said I get to the point where Quake 1 Still shines the brightest and probably forever will. IMO it is the BEST DM experience of all time. Period! 

I still get a total blast out of playing the Bots in a collection of my fav old DM Maps. There's just nothing like it.
Whereas I cannot stand Q2 DM. Never liked it - never will. Too balanced, too weak.

BTW: ... saw the footage of the new Quake game and got bored after watching it for 30 seconds. 

Edited by Doohnibor