Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NecroticBlossoms

Soviet-themed WADs/maps?

Recommended Posts

I would like to know if there are WADs or maps which contain soviet elements*, no matter if they're Deathmatch or not (An example is tribute.wad's MAP06 "All along the Watchtower".)

 

 

*= Textures, enemies, map designs, etc.

Edited by NecroticBlossoms

Share this post


Link to post

I would be highly interested in this as well... never even thought of doing a Soviet-themed level.

 

Of course if you did it Khrushchev themed, it would be nothing but corn.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, I could create soviet themed level too, because I live in one of those ex-soviet countries, heh. But maybe "Cold as Hell" could fit in your description(more for context)

Share this post


Link to post

I once wanted to make a Soviet level, just to use Mother Russia as the soundtrack.

I would probably have added some new textures (snow, Soviet union sign, tank parts, a lot of metal, e.t.c.), recolored the hitscanners to fit the theme and added a crazy supernatural story that explains the existence of the rest of the demons (they wouldn't have to be modified).  Also, the Plasma rifle and BFG could be experimental weapons, made by the Russians, that never became available for mass production and their prototypes are kept secret in a high security army base (possibly as the last measure of protection against an invasion).

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Soviet Union, so I scrapped that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Mother Russia

By "Mother Russia", do you mean the Sisters of Mercy song "Dominion/Mother Russia", or another?

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Impie said:

Is Cold As Hell set in Russia? I can't remember.

I briefly played it and there is mention of the Soviets, so I suppose. It's still demons you're fighting though.

Share this post


Link to post

OP is just looking for maps with Soviet elements though, not necessarily the player fighting soviets. So I guess it still fits.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

I would be highly interested in this as well... never even thought of doing a Soviet-themed level.

 

Of course if you did it Khrushchev themed, it would be nothing but corn.

What if someone makes a soviet weapon mod which includes a corn as a melee weapon, tho?

 

 

 

4 hours ago, Grazza said:

Thanks so much!

 

 

 

4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I once wanted to make a Soviet level, just to use Mother Russia as the soundtrack.

I would probably have added some new textures (snow, Soviet union sign, tank parts, a lot of metal, e.t.c.), recolored the hitscanners to fit the theme and added a crazy supernatural story that explains the existence of the rest of the demons (they wouldn't have to be modified).  Also, the Plasma rifle and BFG could be experimental weapons, made by the Russians, that never became available for mass production and their prototypes are kept secret in a high security army base (possibly as the last measure of protection against an invasion).

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Soviet Union, so I scrapped that idea.

It's never too late to ask for people's tips while you do some research on the subject. Also, artistic license.

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Impie said:

OP is just looking for maps with Soviet elements though, not necessarily >>the player fighting soviets<<. So I guess it still fits.

 

That part counts too, so no worries.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, NecroticBlossoms said:

What if someone makes a soviet weapon mod which includes a corn as a melee weapon, tho?

I guess it would be Khrushchev's favorite game :-P  Or you could be playing as him.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

By "Mother Russia", do you mean the Sisters of Mercy song "Dominion/Mother Russia", or another?

Well, I was going to use Iron Maiden's song, but the Sisters of Mercy one sounded catchy and nice, so that is an option too.

5 hours ago, NecroticBlossoms said:

It's never too late to ask for people's tips while you do some research on the subject. Also, artistic license.

Sure, I could try doing that after I finish making a wad or two that I have planned. And by artistic license, do you mean the soundtrack? Because, if so, I would be using a MIDI and I think there is no problem doing that.

Share this post


Link to post

I once wanted to make a TC called "CFS: Number One" (CFS standing for: Communistic Federation in Space), which would deal with a group of Stalkers (cheeki breeki) sweeping the invaded colony from all ends to the other to gather all neccesary documentation and equipment before orbitally carpet bombing the place. What would be new? Bit faster pistol, although less damaging. There would be a new weapon, called AK-999, which would fire slower than the vanilla chaingun, but would be more damaging, and the chaingun would be faster than usual. I also planned to replace the plasma rifle with a flamethrower, and prolly reskin the bfg into a tube-cannon thingy. Levels would be bland, copy-pasted because Soviets have no imagination, plus it would be as simple as possible, without useless flashing lights and computery walls capitalistic UAC likes to waste precious resources on. There would be a entire plot told through intermission texts, between each level, as you would have a "Tactical Advisor Mikhail" ask you if you are okay comrade, then point you your objective, all from the ship in the orbit. Also you never meet other Stalkers other than once-twice, because the colony/farm is absolutely huge.

 

Why it isn't a thing? Am still learning to make stuff. Can make midis, can make maps, custom enemies, gotta yet make the textures. Should I make a thread about this though, since I don't know how to make textures yet (and I am learning!)

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Well, I was going to use Iron Maiden's song, but the Sisters of Mercy one sounded catchy and nice, so that is an option too.

Sure, I could try doing that after I finish making a wad or two that I have planned. And by artistic license, do you mean the soundtrack? Because, if so, I would be using a MIDI and I think there is no problem doing that.

I meant the freedom artists may take when handling factual material for the novels, films, pictures, etc. they're working on.

 

2 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Why it isn't a thing? Am still learning to make stuff. Can make midis, can make maps, custom enemies, gotta yet make the textures. Should I make a thread about this though, since I don't know how to make textures yet (and I am learning!)

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/95211-how-to-make-a-texture-like-this-one/ (Sorry if I've missed the point of what you've said.)

Edited by NecroticBlossoms

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I once wanted to make a TC called "CFS: Number One" (CFS standing for: Communistic Federation in Space), which would deal with a group of Stalkers (cheeki breeki) sweeping the invaded colony from all ends to the other to gather all neccesary documentation and equipment before orbitally carpet bombing the place. What would be new? Bit faster pistol, although less damaging. There would be a new weapon, called AK-999, which would fire slower than the vanilla chaingun, but would be more damaging, and the chaingun would be faster than usual. I also planned to replace the plasma rifle with a flamethrower, and prolly reskin the bfg into a tube-cannon thingy. Levels would be bland, copy-pasted because Soviets have no imagination, plus it would be as simple as possible, without useless flashing lights and computery walls capitalistic UAC likes to waste precious resources on. There would be a entire plot told through intermission texts, between each level, as you would have a "Tactical Advisor Mikhail" ask you if you are okay comrade, then point you your objective, all from the ship in the orbit. Also you never meet other Stalkers other than once-twice, because the colony/farm is absolutely huge.

 

Why it isn't a thing? Am still learning to make stuff. Can make midis, can make maps, custom enemies, gotta yet make the textures. Should I make a thread about this though, since I don't know how to make textures yet (and I am learning!)

Soviet stuff was about grey concrete and brutalist architecture. As I'm reading now your ideas, I wanted create Chernobyl inspired wad, but I don't have much experience for it. 

Share this post


Link to post

Brutalist Doom + Russian Overkill

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, NecroticBlossoms said:

I meant the freedom artists may take when handling factual material for the novels, films, pictures, etc. they're working on.

Ah ok, now I get it!

 

Share this post


Link to post

My A Morte Mod for hexen has soviets. T-34 tanks, NKVD agents, Accordion songs, even a Mosin Nagant-PU rifle for one of the weapons. It's essentially Hexen meets WW2 meets Blood meets Outlaws meets S.T.A.L.K.E.R., spread over 15 maps

Share this post


Link to post

SJ Technoworld - and old russian "average" wad which includes realistic russian territories (mostly). Due to unknown reasons the first map is the classic Doom 2 map01 with new music.

 

Hellfire and his sequels were made by russian guy and includes soviet-russian themed maps too.

 

P.S.: I want to port the Moscow map from Duke Nukem World Tour, but I'm too busy now so I just have a working doom map without textures, monsters and actions. Don't know when I'll start doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/8/2017 at 10:44 AM, MysteriousHaruko said:

As I'm reading now your ideas, I wanted create Chernobyl inspired wad, but I don't have much experience for it. 

 

That reminds me of 2 things;

 

1._ An old scrapped idea for a map which is set in Pripyat; UAC wanted to rebuild the city and create a nuclear military base there, but not without cleaning out the radioactive mess and demolish the remaining buildings (which were deteriorated and highly radioactive) first. But when they were about to demolish the last few buildings and houses, the teleporters started to malfunction and a horde of demons invaded the area. Problem is that I dunno how to make a map, create a decent ending for the story, how to even recreate a small portion of Pripyat (no matter if taking the artistic license or not, especially when it comes to add floor damage in certain areas), etc.

 

2._ I've had a dream where a friend of mine made a ZDoom Wars map which was set outside the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. In his server, he told me that every few minutes a nuclear meltdown-like trap will occur at the center of the map. Short time has passed, and suddenly I saw many exploding barrels appearing out of nowhere and the server kicked me out for missing packets. I called him out for adding too many barrels, and instead of asking for an apology or something he just replied "Wat".

Edited by NecroticBlossoms

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×