Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Do you map on a pc or laptop?

Do you like to map on a pc or mac or on a laptop?
Considering that my pc is connected to my tv i map on a laptop because i don't want to bore my family allday long lol

I map on laptop too, because I don't have much space for computer and I'm still poor student living with my parents.

The cool thing about the laptop is that you can map on the go!!!

I do Doom mapping exclusively on a desktop that dual-boots Windows and Linux since all my other computers are Linux machines. Quake mapping happens anywhere, in Linux.

Edited by YukiRaven : typo

Been laptop-ing for 9 years - some machine. Internal keyboard is already gone, harddrive was fixing to, too - for awhile before it decided to support me some more.

Thinking of buying a pc once this conks out only if I can get a kit because I am green at that stuff.

15 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

Thinking of buying a pc once this conks out only if I can get a kit because I am green at that stuff.

A HEALTH KIT?!?! ;)

I prefer a desktop. There's just something about sitting at your desk and tackling work that just feels awesome. Plus,I can't stand those shit keyboards that they are putting on laptops these days. (>.> MacBook)

A laptop is not a PC??? Maybe by "PC" you meant "desktop"?

We never even owned a desktop in our family's house, heh. Laptops 4eva, all the way. Why would you want a desktop anyway? :]

1 minute ago, bzzrak said:

Maybe by "PC" you meant "desktop"?

Yes i meant desktop but mostly everyone gets it so i won't change the title ;P

On 8/8/2017 at 3:05 AM, bzzrak said:

A laptop is not a PC??? Maybe by "PC" you meant "desktop"?

We never even owned a desktop in our family's house, heh. Laptops 4eva, all the way. Why would you want a desktop anyway? :]

My pc never angered me while my laptop is probably gonna get smashed with a hammer if another hardware driver in it suddenly dies. The desktop is much easier to maintain :P.

I use a moderately priced 500$ desktop ( for me It was incredibly expensive) to map on I mainly still map and mod doom due to the fact that just about anything can run zdoom at this point even my old old craptop from 2006. I used to map on the craptop and made a few special levels I lost due to hardrive failure (my first map, map recreating my school gym, filled with injokes me an my friends had at the time, and a silent hill inspired demo wad I made over the summer)

Both, a desktop and a laptop. Now I only have Linux inside my laptop, so I can't use Doom Builder 2. I've tried Eureka, but it's really not as good as Doom Builder 2.

Edited by axdoomer

Oh, I don't even want to think about mapping on a laptop. Everything would be like 3-4 times slower than usual.

11 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Oh, I don't even want to think about mapping on a laptop. Everything would be like 3-4 times slower than usual.

If I were to map for Doom on my laptop, I would need an actual mouse, just like when I map for Quake on one of my laptops.  Otherwise I would spend way too much time fighting the touchpad.  Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of a touchpad.  But for me, mapping simply requires a mouse, or at least a trackball, because of the precision I need when I get down to triangular sectors or lines that are only 4, or 2, or even 1 unit wide.

A monitor larger than 1366x768 would be extremely helpful as well, and that's sadly the resolution of all of my laptops.

Also in my specific case, a laptop with video card that can do more than OpenGL v1.1 would be nice :-P

I map on a laptop, I find it much more fun being able to do my mapping anywhere rather than just stuck in the same boring spot all the time.

My laptop is just fine by mapping in GZDB-Bugfix....

Just a bit slow (for a few seconds) when loading the resources but it's fine after that.

My laptop is my work computer, my desktop is my gaming computer. So I always work on wads and stuff from my laptop (although I primarily play Doom on my laptop since It's one of the only things it can run flawlessly and because I've the most Doom related shit on there)

I map on a PC, i've never thought of the idea of mapping on a laptop seems insane for me atleast.

A laptop. I have no room for a proper large computer in my room. It's really annoying at times though, with the tiny screen.

I map mainly on my laptop. Reason being, i only have a laptop.

It's a rather crappy and outdated one but, it does the job well. Plus, i can take it wherever i go and i can thus get some mapping going heh

Desktop PC, because the only other electronic I have is a tablet, and despite having great specs and all (not to mention, Windows OS, and I can run Doom on it easy peasy), mapping on it would mean having to plug in the splitter, then the keyboard and mouse because there is only one USB port. I am going to have to get a laptop soon though, because carrying the PC around on a university is apparently "impractical".

Mostly on the various desktops I've owned since I started mapping, but occasionally I've lapped on the maptop, usually for the brief times I didn't have a tower!

7 hours ago, YukiRaven said:

If I were to map for Doom on my laptop, I would need an actual mouse, just like when I map for Quake on one of my laptops.  Otherwise I would spend way too much time fighting the touchpad.  Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of a touchpad.  But for me, mapping simply requires a mouse, or at least a trackball, because of the precision I need when I get down to triangular sectors or lines that are only 4, or 2, or even 1 unit wide.

Well go buy a mouse then :]

Seriously, you can get a Chinese no-name mouse for like $3, I can't see the reason why not, I've been using one for a year now and I'm perfectly satisfied.

...unless your religion forbids you to have anything that's not shiny & glamurous & with an apple logo, which I hope that isn't true. :]

I've been using the same old default dell mouse that comes stock standard with the PC for about 8 years now. It's done me well!