Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Do you map on a pc or laptop?

Mapping on both, if there will be a way to map on smartphones (android, Ios etc.) I'll map on there too!

11 hours ago, SOSU said:

The cool thing about the laptop is that you can map on the go!!!

Until the battery craps out on you, effectively turning it into a desktop :-)

Both, but with immense preference for desktop. Why anyone with a choice would prefer the lesser comfortable, more likely to lag option of a laptop is beyond me.

2 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Well go buy a mouse then :]

Seriously, you can get a Chinese no-name mouse for like $3, I can't see the reason why not, I've been using one for a year now and I'm perfectly satisfied.

...unless your religion forbids you to have anything that's not shiny & glamurous & with an apple logo, which I hope that isn't true. :]

They said further up the thread that all their machines are linux. While macOS is based on Linux, it's rare someone would say the word linux over the word 'mac'. You pay a hefty price tag for that name, pointlessly imo. (This opinion was written from a mac machine while at work - I know very well how to use a mac and can tell you the price tag is NOT worth it.) 

I used to map exclusively on my mini-tower or desktop, and never used my laptop. Nowadays, I map almost exclusively on my laptop. I travel a fair amount for business, and I spend some of the long hours at airports, in planes, and in hotels to work on DooM-related stuff. Even when I'm not on travel, the laptop can go with me into any room in the house where I want to lounge.

My laptop is quite robust, and the keyboard hasn't started crapping out. [I've had 3 different laptops over the years, and the keyboard never failed.] I always use a mouse, as the track pad doesn't afford me adequate control.

EDIT: I have 2 issues with using a laptop - first, the battery life tends to be very limited when I am constantly testing a map using hardware acceleration of graphics; second, the battery gets quite hot after extended use of the laptop, particularly when I am testing maps.

Edited by ReX

2 hours ago, Maes said:

Until the battery craps out on you, effectively turning it into a desktop :-)

If you have a very long cable you can still change where you are sitting ;)

Laptop, because that's the only sort of computer I've owned since 2009.

One of these days, I'll build a desktop PC. One of these days...

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

While macOS is based on Linux, it's rare someone would say the word linux over the word 'mac'.

Mac OS is based on Darwin, which in turn is based on NEXTSTeP and BSD ;-)

Besides, I wouldn't own another Mac if you paid me $1 billion, promised me immortality, and gave me free food for life. One was enough to turn it into total anathema for me.

Anyway, I have multiple extra mice and trackballs. But all my laptops run Linux (on purpose), and only have really crappy video cards that only support OpenGL v1.1.  I suppose I could do the virtual machine thing again, but.... Meh. I prefer desktops to laptops for most things anyway.

I map exclusively on my laptop. I have a desktop computer that runs Windows XP but is not connected to the internet (and that is how it will stay!) When I first started mapping I used my dad's desktop computer (which also ran Windows XP), I eventually bought my own Lenovo laptop which had Doom Builder installed on it almost immediately. It worked fine for me, though the second thing I did after installing Doom Builder on it was get a proper mouse (all touch pads can go to hell!). Eventually though, that laptop crapped out due to a common defect in the specific model and I had to get it refunded (I sent it in under warranty but they wouldn't fix it because the parts for a laptop just over a year old were no longer available! Plus they stole one of the RAM chips before they sent it back! Screw you, I'm taking the hard drive and remaining RAM!). Luckily I had backed up my maps due to the fact that the laptop crapped out slowly, as in it worked but was having difficulties. Even more luckily for me, my brother had received a much better laptop as a grad gift and he didn't want it!

So, in essence, I learned most of my mapping skills on a desktop while most of my actual mapping has been done on a laptop. Like many people here probably, I hope to build a good gaming PC someday, but I am currently getting ready for university and need to save money for that.

Everything I've ever done was created on a laptop. The only minor exceptions to this are a birthday map I made for DeathevocatioN (MAP08 of etrnyour.wad) possibly the Phobus birthday map as well and a few levels that still haven't seen the light of day outside of my hard drive. My question though - is there anyone else who has made maps using a touchpad? Cause that's what I've been stuck with since I began.

Of course I don't mind it at this point...although my new laptop's touchpad seems far more sensitive than the previous one I had, so I've been having to adjust to that lately for the past four months.

1 minute ago, valkiriforce said:

is there anyone else who has made maps using a touchpad?

I use it sometimes when i work with 1 pixel long lines

Most of my mapping has been done on a desktop, but I used to have a sweet netbook that was great for fiddling around with maps and music when I wasn't at home. I really miss that thing, it's unfortunate that netbooks were only a fad, they were handy.

Edit: No I have never made a map out of bread.

I don't map very often, but when I do, it's usually on a desktop. I've tried it on a fairly recent dell laptop (don't remember the model) and the main hurdle was getting my config for doombuilder set up. Plus, the tiny-ish screen and a low resolution of 1366x768 is a pain.

On 26/08/2017 at 8:37 PM, beanz said:

1366x768

I remember when I went from 800x600 to 1366x768. Nowadays I wouldn't accept less than 1920x1080. Funny how times change!

On 8/7/2017 at 9:09 PM, Jaws In Space said:

I map on a laptop, I find it much more fun being able to do my mapping anywhere rather than just stuck in the same boring spot all the time.

^ Jaws gets it <3

On 8/8/2017 at 7:44 AM, Dragonfly said:

Both, but with immense preference for desktop. Why anyone with a choice would prefer the lesser comfortable, more likely to lag option of a laptop is beyond me.

Perhaps more expensive, but for Doom modern laptops have no problems with performance whatsoever, and the draw of Dume wherever is so much more appealing than locking myself in the same room all the time; something about being able to map outside is also very therapeutic whereas mapping in my bedroom feels depressive. Of course being a smoker, Duming outside also means that I don't have to take breaks to go smoke since I'm outside already, too. Modern gaming sure pc>laptop, but the low system reqs for Dume makes laptops much more appealing.

PC, but I really hope some day I'll get a laptop to map anywhere I want. That'd be a dream come true...

20170620_043012.png

I have always found laptops to just be garbage. Batteries are no fun. Keyboards are crap. Track pads are shit. If am going to use a mouse and external keyboard, I might as well use a desktop.

I find it disturbing that I can go into homes without desktops on them...its a tragedy really. These "touch" devices are a scourge on our planet and they make many children and their parents think they are learning something.

I do lots of 3d/2d design, GIMP for business and now mapping...Never on a laptop(or portable media player as I call them) would I map.

The only time I think it could be truly needed is school and such. I know its very critical. but I hate portable devices these days...

ALSO: Portability could have been a good argument PRO laptops for me. But an external hard drive is smaller.. 

I map on Desktop with a dual monitor setup, just makes life easier I can edit resources in SLADE on one screen and map on the other.

2 hours ago, Synndra said:

I map on Desktop with a dual monitor setup, just makes life easier I can edit resources in SLADE on one screen and map on the other.

Ooh, sounds convenient. I'll have to try that someday. :D

I don't care if I use laptop or desktop. I used to have only desktop, now I have only laptop.
There are just few musts:

• I must have keyboard with numpad
  • I must have mouse with wheel
  • I must have beer