Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Yet another Doom 2 homage in musical form

Had a lot of fun with this one, kind of going for a mixture of hard rock, heavy metal, cinematic music and industrial aggression. Enjoy!

Did you compose and perform this piece? If so, I laud you. Although I am not a fan of purely synthesized music (particularly the use of drum tracks), I quite enjoyed the composition. I particularly liked:

1. The tightness of the piece - everything fits together very well

2. The periodic change in cadence - this makes the listening experience varied

3. Good use of stereophonic separation

4. The overall melody (including the changes) and driving beat are very suitable for gaming

Thanks for sharing.

Hey, thanks a lot, the comments are much appreciated. Yes, this is all me. The project is called Visplane Overflow which is an industrial/electronic/metal project that is heavily influenced (no surprise!) by id Software among other things. I've been composing synth music since 2003, so I've learned a thing or two about composition. It's really important to me that even a song with a lot of riffs maintain a strong coherency. Everything has to fit and flow together. I wanted the riffs to feel like a mix between the gloominess of Doom 2's score and the high-energy riffs of Doom 1.

I love it! It's like Doom/Doom II meets Duke 3D meets Doom 2016, and it is just beautiful. It feels like it would fit perfectly in a good Duke 3D map to me since the main bass/keyboard riff is so damn funky.

26 minutes ago, Matt534Dog said:

I love it! It's like Doom/Doom II meets Duke 3D meets Doom 2016, and it is just beautiful. It feels like it would fit perfectly in a good Duke 3D map to me since the main bass/keyboard riff is so damn funky.

That's a fantastic description. I got some Duke vibes too. And yes, funky is part of it. All of my music has been infected lately with a sense of funk and I really like doing the funk/heavy thing which I think is sadly lacking in music.