Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

Engine for a retro FPS?

I would like to play around with creating a Quake-type game. What code base should I toy around with? (I say toy around because nothing substantial will come of this)

What open source engine is appropriate for creating Quake-type levels with retro visuals? Like Quake with unfiltered textures kinda? Bonus points of the game code is in a scripting language.

The actual Quake engines seem held together by duct-tape and gypsy tears and have extreme drawbacks like the model frame animation system and the bounding boxes stuff.

I checked out the Cube 2 game/engine and found this interesting fork

https://inexor.org/

I was going to suggest Cube/Sauerbraten but I see you've already looked there. Many projects use the Unity engine, that might be worth a look.

Really any engine would do, you could even use something as advanced as Unreal Engine if you really wanted to.

The bigger issue you are going to come across is the way to make the levels themselves. They don't really have built in tools to be able to make a level like you would in Quake or Source engine, although there are some plugins that get a kinda similar result (Unity has Probuilder [which I believe Dusk is using], Unreal you could try Hammuer which can import levels and textures directly from Hammer). The prebuilt tools for movement and such for Unity are also horrible I find, they are super slidy, and you'd want to create everything from scratch, which ends up being a lot of extra work.

I started using Unity but I found the whole entire process a real slog for what I wanted to do, so I actually just hopped over to GZDoom. Everyone will get different mileage out of all the engines, though. You could even look at the Serious Sam engine, it went open source not too long ago.

Does Cube or one of its forks have map scripting? For complex doors , elevators , ambushes etc? And enemy AI scripting?

(I know you can fork the engine and hardcode enemy behaviours but that will quickly be a lot of work)

Hey, I have done engine like that from scratch. Not open-source, but one of my goals is to increase it to Doom-level modability. You sound like type of guy who would enjoy doing maps, and thats what I am looking for now...

Send me a PM then. But you should know that I am artistically handicapped and can't really create my own texture or model assets :D

Why not go with Darkplaces? That's probably the closest thing you're going to get to a Quake type engine that runs on modern systems.

I personally don't see the point in going with something completely different compared to what you're looking for.

Unity is really easy to use, once you get the coding side of things down to make the basics function as you want it to you're basically left with a glorified level editor where moving things into place and adjusting numbers is most of the work. Granted if you want something that is going to rise above the ocean of inept Unity games you're probably gonna have to focus a lot on the code, but like said above in the end the dedication you put into it is going to matter far more than the tools you use.

3 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Why not go with Darkplaces? That's probably the closest thing you're going to get to a Quake type engine that runs on modern systems.

Seconded. Darkplaces runs great on my PC and I like Quake's engine.

I'd agree on one of the Quake engines, except that it looks like OP wants something other than vertex-based animation, as well as something with (I'm guessing) more accurate hit detection on entities.  Otherwise I'd easily suggest Darkplaces or Quakespam.