Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superchargecacodemons800

Which map is harder, E4M1 Hell Beneath or E4M2 Perfect Hatred?

To this day, I still have trouble with E4M2. E4M1 just requires patience, while E4M2 is a hell hole full of a ton of shit trying to kill you from every direction. 

E4M1 is only hard at the very beginning, E4M2 is a pain from start to finish.

E4M1: Only 9% health, shotgun guys, baron traps

E4M2, if I exit E4M1 and continue playing this (with almost zero ammo)

Edited by Phoenix Wright

So, now I'm not sure. I just did a pistol start of E4M2 without the Steffen Winterfeldt jump or the early BFG grab (neither of which, to be honest, I've ever done; also I've heard the latter doesn't work in DosBox, which I use?), and managed it on my second attempt. I don't consider myself a very good player, and I wasn't even particularly graceful about it (barely scraped through the Cacodemons at the beginning; had to sloppily snipe off the three Barons in the semi-circle room from the window, etc.), but knowing about the platform-raising secret and the blue armor, which I'd actually never been aware of before, made everything after the start fairly easy. Came away with 100% kills.

Fun level though. I think even with as comfortable as that run felt, I'd stand by the idea that it's harder to complete than E4M1, but E4M1 is harder to max.

Those two secrets are so impactful. Having the extra room for error the Blue Armor gives you early on is huge (plus it runs you through a Berserk Pack and some extra plasma), and connecting the platforms in the middle eliminates the yellow-switch battle as one of the major bottleneck points, giving you much more room to maneuver. Can't believe I'd been playing the map without them.

Edited by Cipher

I recently did a pistol start for both maps and I came to the conclusion that E4M1 is harder than M2, considering ammo management, possibility of doing 100% and such....You can end up having much less health and ammo in M1 than M2 (probably for the obvious reason that M1 has less items than M2) 

On 8/28/2017 at 7:13 PM, leodoom85 said:

I recently did a pistol start for both maps and I came to the conclusion that E4M1 is harder than M2, considering ammo management, possibility of doing 100% and such....You can end up having much less health and ammo in M1 than M2 (probably for the obvious reason that M1 has less items than M2) 

Also E4M1 has less enemies too, and it has no lost souls or cacodemons, and only 5 barons, and if you pay attention, take your time, and expect the unexpected (ONLY on E4M1), it is not that hard. But E4M2 is definitely harder, because rushing on it will make you hurt a lot, but rushing is the only way to get through the map, and if you take your time you may not get what you wanted it to be.

27 minutes ago, superchargecacodemons799 said:

Also E4M1 has less enemies too, and it has no lost souls or cacodemons, and only 5 barons, and if you pay attention, take your time, and expect the unexpected (ONLY on E4M1), it is not that hard. But E4M2 is definitely harder, because rushing on it will make you hurt a lot, but rushing is the only way to get through the map, and if you take your time you may not get what you wanted it to be.

Actually, I found it a bit easier than E4M1 tbh...but I understand your point

On 8/9/2017 at 9:24 AM, CzechMate29200 said:

oh pfff, E4M2 is by far the hardest...

let's do a comparison (without the red key grab in E4M1, or BFG grab and jump in E4M2)

E4M1 is mildly easy on UV, if you pay attention to what you are doing and don't just mindlessly run into rooms and have a good strategy. Places for cover is very abundant in this level, use it! :) The secret here is just don't rush through the level and you should be fine. 

E4M2 is a different story. You have to be quick and can't stop for too long, and you don't have hardly any cover at all. just in the beginning, you have to quickly kill all those demons on the platforms before those Cacodemons reach you. Keep in mind that you don't have enough ammo to kill all these bastards. So you kinda gotta let the Cacos be :(. 75% percent of the level consists of platforms, that you have to run across while taking fire from all over. Not to mention the Cyberdemon that you have to kill. Or the thousands of Cacos in the exit room (exaggeration).

I 100% agree with you.

On 8/9/2017 at 0:02 AM, nxGangGirl said:

E4M1. E4M2 is a fucking cake walk.

If you manage to think E4M2 is extremely easy then one or more of the following below is true:

1. You are a god.
  2. You used cheat codes (especially the powerfull ones like iddqd or idkfa).
  3. You have way, way, way, WAY too much free time.
  4. You have infinite ammo and no recharge for the BFG.

3 hours ago, superchargecacodemons799 said:

If you manage to think E4M2 is extremely easy then one or more of the following below is true:

1. You are a god.
  2. You used cheat codes (especially the powerfull ones like iddqd or idkfa).
  3. You have way, way, way, WAY too much free time.
  4. You have infinite ammo and no recharge for the BFG.

1. Yes, I'm obviously a god. Or at least a demi goddess of the underworld.

2. No. Cheat codes make the game boring and pointless.

3. You're right. I really do. There are weeks or months where I play Doom on a daily fuckin' basis.

4. No. I haven't figured that out nor care to. Also, I don't like using the BFG.

case closed ;)

E4M2 is actually quite easy once you get a solid strategy going (and even easier if playing continued from E4M1), E4M1 however is just a god damn barrage of bullshit that just fucks you over and over.

Hell Beneath has no cacodemons, cyberdemons, or spider masterminds and only has several clickbait enemies. Perfect Hatred has a million cacodemons and is goddamn tricky and tries to not let you go to Sever the Wicked or Fear.

I hate E4M2 with perfect hatred: I account E4M2 mine enemy.

E4M2 All the way. M1 is more tactical, in fact, I think is the most ''tactical'' map of all. But E4M2 is bloody fast. And the environment is not very friendly to you. Damn lava.

Looks like I'll have to demonstrate both maps with a video and with pistol start.....

On 9/1/2017 at 1:13 AM, nxGangGirl said:

1. Yes, I'm obviously a god. Or at least a demi goddess of the underworld.

2. No. Cheat codes make the game boring and pointless.

3. You're right. I really do. There are weeks or months where I play Doom on a daily fuckin' basis.

4. No. I haven't figured that out nor care to. Also, I don't like using the BFG.

case closed ;)

Some more requirements that at least one must be true for E4M2 to be extremely pacific;

5. You have somehow edited the Ultimate Doom IWAD and in E4M2, replaced all enemies with radiation suits.

6. You have played E4M1 in North Korea.

7. You can shoot with several weapons at once.

8. You never go to work or school, and you only use up ALL your time on fixing all mistakes made when doing no damage on E4M2.

On 14.8.2017 at 4:40 PM, Red said:

E4M1 is only hard at the very beginning, E4M2 is a pain from start to finish.

Sums up my opinion on this topic. E4m1 puts less pressure on the player.

I actually find e4m2 easier from pistol start. Although that is due to the lack of health in e4m1 if playing on I go through with like 20% which does not last long

On 9/8/2017 at 2:10 AM, ShotgunDemolition said:

E4M1 for me. I didn't like the lack of ammo in it and the 5000 Barons that can be found inside the level (ok, they are not that many).

I also had some trouble with E4M2 in the beginning, but when I came up with a plan, the map became really fun and it is one of my favourites from this episode. And this map is luckily a training course for E4M6 (as far as lava goes), which is a big plus. 

E4M1 In nightmare is wow... your flesh gets consumed. 

Obviously, OP will never agree with someone who said E4M1 is harder. BTW, according to today's standard, the title should be "which map is easier, E4M1 or E4M2?" because I don't think either of them is actually hard.

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

Obviously, OP will never agree with someone who said E4M1 is harder. BTW, according to today's standard, the title should be "which map is easier, E4M1 or E4M2?" because I don't think either of them is actually hard.

Well, they're not "hard" in the sense wads like "toilet of the gods" are hard. For iWAD standards they're all a notch above the rest, though. So, "hard relatively speaking" might do it justice.

8 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

E4M1 In nightmare is wow... your flesh gets consumed. 

I see what you did there!!!  :D

Also, I haven't played a map seriously in Nightmare yet and I don't intent to do so anytime soon.

Just now, ShotgunDemolition said:

I see what you did there!!!  :D

Also, I haven't played a map seriously in Nightmare yet and I don't intent to do so anytime soon.

Haha 7u7.

Well, I dont know what to tell, is fun indeed. But hell, ITS REALLY HARD. Well, maybe the first time, theres always these pro players that can beat it with no problem, but in my case, it can be stressful. But man, it feels good when you succeed.