Which map is harder, E4M1 Hell Beneath or E4M2 Perfect Hatred?

To this day, I still have trouble with E4M2. E4M1 just requires patience, while E4M2 is a hell hole full of a ton of shit trying to kill you from every direction. 

1 person likes this

E4M1 is only hard at the very beginning, E4M2 is a pain from start to finish.

2 people like this

E4M1: Only 9% health, shotgun guys, baron traps, telefrag (rarely)

E4M2, if I exit E4M1 and continue playing this (with almost zero ammo)

2 hours ago, Spectra said:

telefrag (rarely)

Monsters cannot telefrag other monsters / players, except on MAP30.

1 person likes this

So, now I'm not sure. I just did a pistol start of E4M2 without the Steffen Winterfeldt jump or the early BFG grab (neither of which, to be honest, I've ever done; also I've heard the latter doesn't work in DosBox, which I use?), and managed it on my second attempt. I don't consider myself a very good player, and I wasn't even particularly graceful about it (barely scraped through the Cacodemons at the beginning; had to sloppily snipe off the three Barons in the semi-circle room from the window, etc.), but knowing about the platform-raising secret and the blue armor, which I'd actually never been aware of before, made everything after the start fairly easy. Came away with 100% kills.

Fun level though. I think even with as comfortable as that run felt, I'd stand by the idea that it's harder to complete than E4M1, but E4M1 is harder to max.

Those two secrets are so impactful. Having the extra room for error the Blue Armor gives you early on is huge (plus it runs you through a Berserk Pack and some extra plasma), and connecting the platforms in the middle eliminates the yellow-switch battle as one of the major bottleneck points, giving you much more room to maneuver. Can't believe I'd been playing the map without them.

Edited by Cipher