Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

How has Doom helped your personal life?

53 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Absolutely true. Doing commentary videos has helped me a lot, such as public speaking or multi-tasking.

Still waiting for your SOD Map07 video. Wait, I guess you're busy f(ight)-ing Zapdos this time ;P

I'll try tonight, but new expansion for PoE just dropped and I'm sinking my little ounces of free time into catching up with my coworkers lol I'll do what I can though! 

8 minutes ago, stru said:

I'll try tonight, but new expansion for PoE just dropped and I'm sinking my little ounces of free time into catching up with my coworkers lol I'll do what I can though! 

No rush, I don't like to urge others, but I think we are good enough to joke about this a little ;)

in programing :D

yes i program monsters

and i have 13 years........

what doing with my life?

3 hours ago, axdoomer said:

Doom is why I chose programming as a career. It still continues to influence me as I'm studying software engineering.

This. It amazes me how amazing could be the world of programming, and how cool and interesting could be.

It also helped me a lot about creativity, which is interesting because i'm new into this and i'm still going in.

It is the game that got me interesting in game programming, so I would say it does hold an influence.

Also it helps on lashing out anger, not many other games do that as well as Doom for me.

Doom has been helping me more professionally than personally, though the latter may yet be tapped: consider all the time I can spend creating new worlds with the editors.

On 9.8.2017 at 2:41 PM, KVELLER said:

It has helped me to go trough some rough times, actually. It's so straightforward that I don't even need to think all that much or listen to expository dialog so I can understand a story. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in those moments I just want to blast the shit out something and feel like a one man army.

+++ for being so straightforward.  You see developers go to great lengths nowadays to make interesting cut scenes and whatever. I can't wait to skip these and go to the action. In doom you can start a new game in one second.

They say that doing a minor subconscious task like sitting on a stability ball at your work desk can make you more attentive with your work.

Sometimes ill turn down the sound and music while playing Doom and put on an audiobook, speech, college lecture, or podcast from YouTube to listen to while I play. A nice relaxing run through doom helps me absorb the information better without dozing off than I would if I were just sitting there doing nothing.

4 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

It was what started my YouTube channel, and how I ended up meeting so many awesome people like you guys. ^-^

Are you going to make a map at some point in time? After having reviewed so many WADs, you probably have a good idea as to what you would want in a map you yourself made. It might be interesting.

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

Are you going to make a map at some point in time? After having reviewed so many WADs, you probably have a good idea as to what you would want in a map you yourself made. It might be interesting.

I did make a map once, but it was incredibly shit. Like, 90's era texturing, it was so bad. I don't have the time to really put into it. Maybe once I am out of school I will try it again. 

23 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

the .txt said:

A sidenote: I've been looking for a few of the Harris levels

You are the queen of edginess, I bow down to you.

edit: also that map is hardcore

Edited by bzzrak

On 8/8/2017 at 7:15 PM, Man of Doom said:

As an example, after going through a break-up with my first girlfriend, I spent an entire day playing Doom. I remember playing Deus Vult II, with a gameplay mod that I don't quite remember (I think it might have been one of PillowBlaster's mods like Russian Overkill). But what I do remember is that I played through all the way to the end, even when in most cases of playing Doom, I would stop to take frequent breaks due to fatigue. I remember taking only one break to eat something, and that was it. By the time I was all finished, I actually felt so much better in general, like I felt more capable. All of that, I did after spending several days wallowing in my own self-pity, only to play some Doom to take my mind off the fact that I felt like I had failed horribly as a boyfriend.

So, what's your story? 

I also went through a nasty breakup with my girlfriend 4 months back and lost my best friend of five years (he thought it was a good idea to start dating her a week after we broke up behind my back) I played doom to get over my depression and played through a bunch of megawads I didn't play before (kamasutra, scythe, scythe 2) Doomworld itself helped me out a lot by just browsing topics and responding to them. Doom was the first game I ever modded and It holds a special place in my heart.

2 hours ago, bzzrak said:

You are the queen of edginess, I bow down to you.

you fuckin know it B|

No in all seriousness that was a dark time in my life. Never again.

Doom taught me that no matter how seductive it might seem, a chainsaw is not the answer to all of life's problems. Sometimes you have to use firepower instead. Furthermore if you're ever in a situation where a naked pink demon is running towards you through a blood-stained corridor covered in satanic symbols, you really have to take a good hard look at your life choices.

On a more serious note I'm convinced that Doom's automap helped with my orienteering. When I'm following a GPS trace, Doom taught me which direction to turn when you're heading south - it's surprisingly easy to mess that up.

I love this game and it loves me. But it is love without compassion compassion has no place in this relationship. I have spent thousands of hours playing Doom.

That can't be healthy for you. I regret nothing.

Instead of working on my actual architecture projects, which both determine my grade in college and provide my portfolio, I spend time working on doom maps for the enjoyment of strangers.

Doom/Heretic/Hexen has been my yearly tradition since 1996.

Each time I play it, I remember what was on tv or radio every year so my brain overfloods with happy memories.

Maybe did not help in that way. But it did inspire a lot. Doom is one of the reason I love gaming and internet. Gaming because you can play tons of fresh content every day, theres always this one mod, this one wad, this one thing, this game keeps  gettint better and better along his fanbase, also, internet, because pff Doomworld, Wads and Mods free download.

This game essentaly, is just a really good hobby, makes feel happy to just hear some guy say: ''Hey, have you played Doom?''

Hell yes. I love Doom. Its an art for my eyes. 

Doom? Oh yeah, Doom is a thing and stuff.

Joking aside, it helped me make a connection with my future S/O when it turned out we shared much of the same game interests and nerdy hobbies as friends. I also got into modding because of DECORATE and enjoy it as a creative exercise with personal projects. Then there was a dark period in my life where I discovered Unloved and played it, a lot, to cope with the horrors around me. Even though Unloved was depressing and hopeless it gave me an escape, much like the Silent Hill games did.