Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UglyStru

Valve develops another Hearthstone competitor instead of something logical

43 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Valve hasn't made a creative game since half life.

That's debatable but admittedly I was never impressed with Half-Life as a game or franchise so maybe it's just me that thinks even Half-Life wasn't that creative. :\

Id needs to know that their true path in game developing lies not in violent and action oriented demon killing, but in virtual card dueling and cacodemon collectibles.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:30 AM, Red said:

TF2 is "optimized" so it runs on low end machines 

Now get a toaster and run tf2 multiplayer on a full server and see the horrible fps, a machine that ran it maxed in 2007 might not be able to run it at 30 fps now.

26 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Oh, don't be silly mah boi. Everyone says Doom 2016 instead...

... Do you, guys?

Oh my bad, I assumed "new Doom" as Doom 2016, not as in what you actually meant.

lol it is anything but downgraded, has way better animations and textures than before, not to mention all the hats. That video doesn't give current tf2 justice.

52 minutes ago, stru said:

Anyway, we went years without CCGs like this.

"Magic the gathering" doesn't exist? The Yu-Gi-Oh series is an urban myth?

59 minutes ago, stru said:

Within the last 12-18months, look at how many came outta f--king nowhere.

Within the last 3 decades, look how many  came out of nowhere. So how many years did we go without CCGs like this, wether in digital format or not? For a lot of people that number is precisely "zero".

1 hour ago, stru said:

If 10 ARPGs came out with Path of Exile's 3.0, I'd put up the same debate.

So, where have you been the past years? There was plenty of debates to put up.

What they are releasing here is another business model.

Games aren't made at Valve any more and all of the money from Half Life, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead sales that built them will not be making it back into the industry in any way that matters.

Valve doesn't make games. They look for modding teams who have a game nearly done and hire them to finish it. Then the hired people finish the game, and then they do whatever they want afterwards. Including leave. There is no one anymore in Valve who worked on Half Life sequels.

I like card games.

I like DOTA.

I have no idea if I'll like this, but I'm certainly interested in trying it. Based on what I've heard, you actually have three "lanes" that operate as different boards, so it sounds like they're actually making a DOTA card game instead of making a card game with DOTA characters.

That will show them for making Overwatch.

1 hour ago, Red said:

TF2 is "optimized" so it runs on low end machines 

Are those the lowest settings for the "now?" Especially that sapper getting knocked off. Chances are they had to lower settings so people could have a server full of fancy hats or unusuals with sparklies.

They show in the video both are at max settings, one is just an older version of the game while the other is the most recent

TF2's performance is worse than it used to be since back in the old days, I think everything was fairly well optimized, with most models having proper LODs and everything, but as time went on and more stuff was added, LODs stopped being made so many models (especially cosmetics) are rendered at full detail at all distances. I think people are still waiting on level 2/3 dispenser LODs, despite upgradable dispensers being around for years now. Looking at the wiki, it seems there are a fair amount of optimized cosmetics and weapons, but there's still many more that aren't.

I remember many community members complaining about this to Valve and Valve saying that they would do something about it. Good luck ever seeing it, though... I wonder if those downgrades are supposed to be a stupid patchwork solution to them

Why sped money on animations when you can have card games? Youtubers get to talk without any sort of action and complexity. Twitchers can discuss it with their audience what to do next.

... but will it be in first person? I suspect yes.

2 hours ago, InsanityBringer said:

TF2's performance is worse than it used to be since back in the old days, I think everything was fairly well optimized, with most models having proper LODs and everything, but as time went on and more stuff was added, LODs stopped being made so many models (especially cosmetics) are rendered at full detail at all distances. I think people are still waiting on level 2/3 dispenser LODs, despite upgradable dispensers being around for years now. Looking at the wiki, it seems there are a fair amount of optimized cosmetics and weapons, but there's still many more that aren't.

I remember many community members complaining about this to Valve and Valve saying that they would do something about it. Good luck ever seeing it, though... I wonder if those downgrades are supposed to be a stupid patchwork solution to them

People complain about the performance on the TF2 boards.... 100s of hats, unusuals, skins and cosmetics later no one can figure out why performance is worse. Maybe disabling bloom would help.... or water reflections or dynamic shadows.

As for the TF2 team last I heard it was 3 people working on the game and the content is outsourced from the community. 3 people seems laughably low for a cash cow and maybe other Valve employees help or did when the game was being made.

Don't know whats worst recently: Valve not making new Ips/not counting to 3...or Gearbox making a 1V1 FPS with a Trading card game meta that isn't Borderlands 3

Gearbox are making Borderlands 3, they've said as much and showed tech demos. I don't know why people keep getting mad at them for not making it when they are and they've shown stuff.

3 hours ago, wheresthebeef said:

Gearbox are making Borderlands 3, they've said as much and showed tech demos. I don't know why people keep getting mad at them for not making it when they are and they've shown stuff.

I think people were surprise(including myself) that Gearbox announce a new IP after Battleborn's abysmal failure trying to launch a few weeks before Overwatch.

But hey, maybe this new "top secret" 1v1 game might actually be good if Gearbox actually market it & release it properly to keep a good audience unlike the earlier mentioned Battleborn.