Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bowserknight

Change music in cmd.exe, possible?

I was just wondering if it's possible to change the music before starting ZDOOM, so I don't have to type in "changemus ..." while in-game. I'm trying to record demos but there's a map that plays the wrong music and so I'm trying to change the music with the command line. You can't bring up the console when watching demos.

So is there any command that you can type into cmd.exe that starts the map with a different music?

You can use + in the commandline to execute a ccmd. You could try +changemus hehmusic but I don't know if this will work for certain, since I think it executes the commands instantly rather than waiting for the map to load.

Thanks, it... kinda works. I just tested it and the music starts but THEN it loads the map with the wrong music again. I was already hoping for the best when I heard the right music then the wrong one started again...

20 minutes ago, bowserknight said:

...ZDOOM...

The live-typed idmus command should work fine on the command line with +:

zdoom.exe -skill 4 -warp 1 -record nnn.lmp +idmus 20

Should play the track 20 of the wad.

1 minute ago, dl_simc said:

The live-typed idmus command should work fine with +:

zdoom.exe -skill 4 -warp 1 -record nnn.lmp +idmus 20

Should play the track 20 of the wad.

I tried it, and also tried +changemus and what happens is: the selected music plays while loading the map, but when the loading is finished, the wrong music starts again... so when you use these console commands they activate before the map is done loading. Damn...

Oh well I'll just use SLADE and swap out the 2 music files. Because for some reason, map 11 plays the music of map 05, but map 05 still has the correct music. Don't know why. But I can change it afterwards again.

You could use bind commands at the start of the demo avoid console usage all together during demo, eg:

open game,

bind x "changemus (music name)",

start demo record, press X at start to play your music instead of base music,

not elegant, but good enough?

Since you are willing to edit the wad, and you are using ZDoom, you can use MAPINFO to set the map's music. The MAPINFO can even be by itself in a separate add-on wad, perhaps bundled with whatever music you want to use, if it isn't already in the original wad.

1 hour ago, Empyre said:

Since you are willing to edit the wad, and you are using ZDoom, you can use MAPINFO to set the map's music. The MAPINFO can even be by itself in a separate add-on wad, perhaps bundled with whatever music you want to use, if it isn't already in the original wad.

This is the best solution IMO. Doesn't require you to modify the original file and also will automatically change the music.