Doom 2, No Damage, 100%

I'm sure probably most of you have never heard of me, but I'm Agenta. I also have a youtube channel. For a while now I have been doing a Doom 2: No Damage run on my channel. It's not finished yet, but I have been working on getting it done. I don't upload the videos often on my channel, but recently I have been working on this quite a bit more. The goal of the run I have been doing is to complete Doom 2: Hell On Earth on Ultra Violence difficulty, getting 100% kills and secrets, without taking ANY damage from ANY source. This includes self damage from my own Rockets, damage from the enemies (including Hitscanners), and damage from the enviornment (AKA damaging floors). I have added a side rule in which I am allowed to use IDBEHOLDR to spawn in a radiation shielding suit if it is impossible to avoid damage from a damaging floor, but I will attempt to use this only when it is absolutely necessary.

 

I just decided to post on here about this because I have been working on this run for a while now and was wondering if there is anyone who wants to check it out that hasn't heard of it. My youtube channel is quite small, but I've been growing it out a bit. If anyone wants to watch, this is a link to my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWdkL-PlQNu3humg20I1ppA  And this is a link to the playlist for the Doom 2 No Damage playthrough.

If not, that is completely fine.

 

For those of you who want to know my thoughts on this run so far: It is absolutely insane and half of it is luck, 40% is strategy, and 10% is skill. There are some maps (Waste Tunnels, Underhalls, Crusher) that have so far caused a lot of issue. Others aren't that bad. I'm only 7 maps in, but I'm actually liking the challenge so far. It is very interesting and has given me some new ideas for strategies for completing the maps in safer ways. However, this challenge is an absolute nightmare at times and has lead me to having a lot of attempts at many of the maps. I am keeping track of my attempt count for each map, and if anyone wants to know those (even though some are kinda eh) I can post them on here. This was mostly inspired by AltimaMantoid's Trials of a Doomgod: E4M1 Realism video. Strategies in these videos are mostly either my own, or from AltimaMantoid, LightningBoltForever, Zdenda1990, or BigMacDavis's playthroughs of the game.

 

If you watch, and want to give me some feedback, go ahead and leave it below. I should also specify that this is NOT a TAS run of the game, this is done via the Zdoom SourcePort with all settings set to default, except for Limit Pain Elemental Lost Souls, which is turned on, and Wallrunning, which is also enabled. Every other setting should be Zdoom defaults. I am also using Alternate HUD and Mouselook, even though I normally try to keep my Mouse angle even with what it is normally in Doom. If you do watch, thank you for watching. It should also be stated, this is not what I normally do on youtube. The final thing I'm going to say, is this the first time a challenge like this (100% Kills, Secrets, Realism/No-Damage, full playthrough, each map a seperate video) has actually been done, or has this actually been finished before. I did some looking up on youtube and most of what I could find is either single-maps from a Pistol start, or TAS runs of this.

 

EDIT: Apparently I have turned off Limit Pain Elemental Lost Souls and Wallrunning. Compatibility settings are set to Default (AKA everything in Zdoom on No in terms of Compatibility settings)

Edited by Agenta
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post

I can't watch videos, but are you recording each level individually or are you always going back to map01 after you take damage? I did a max/reality run from map01-map05 (got hit on map05). There are lots of demos at http://doomedsda.us

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

I can't watch videos, but are you recording each level individually or are you always going back to map01 after you take damage? I did a max/reality run from map01-map05 (got hit on map05). There are lots of demos at http://doomedsda.us

They are continuous playthroughs of every single level, so technically those are not UV Max/Reality runs except Map01. Also, the compatibility is not set to Doom (Strict), so I guess things behave differently from the original.

Edited by GarrettChan

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

the compatibility is not set to Doom (Strict), so I guess things behave differently from the original.

Even with "Doom (Strict)", Zdoom behaves very differently from the original game.

 

Anyway, the fact that these are released months apart does suggest the use of saves between levels, so as a movie run, this is indeed TAS (albeit "low-level" TAS, akin to "Doom Done Quick"), even if taken as single-level runs they are not.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TimeOfDeath666 said:

I can't watch videos, but are you recording each level individually or are you always going back to map01 after you take damage? I did a max/reality run from map01-map05 (got hit on map05). There are lots of demos at http://doomedsda.us

Yes, I am using saves between levels, kinda like a typical run you would see on youtube, or a typical playthrough you would do of the game. I may one day attempt to do it such that I start at map01 if I take a hit one time, but for right now I don't have the patience to do a single-segment, no save run of the game without taking damage. I'm also not doing this as a speedrun either, as you can see by some of the video times. Because of this, I felt it would be best to do the run as I am doing it now, which is also how I am used to doing levels in Doom anyway.

 

23 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Even with "Doom (Strict)", Zdoom behaves very differently from the original game.

 

Anyway, the fact that these are released months apart does suggest the use of saves between levels, so as a movie run, this is indeed TAS (albeit "low-level" TAS, akin to "Doom Done Quick"), even if taken as single-level runs they are not.

How differently does Zdoom actually behave from the original game, as I would actually be interested to know this, as I also always wondered why "official" speedruns require you to use CompetitionDoom for speedrunning.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Grazza said:

Even with "Doom (Strict)", Zdoom behaves very differently from the original game.

 

Oh yeah, I knew that. That's why I switched to GLBoom+ for demos, not only for the compatibility. That's just the way I say things, I guess. (<- like this)

 

43 minutes ago, Agenta said:

How differently does Zdoom actually behave from the original game, as I would actually be interested to know this, as I also always wondered why "official" speedruns require you to use CompetitionDoom for speedrunning.

One obvious thing to me is the calculation of splash damage of Rocket Launcher. (G)ZDoom can't really hit something on a way higher/lower altitude, while original can. Even ZDoom and GZDoom behave differently. Like the Arch-vile on Plutonia Map27, I can't even kill it on ZDoom, but I can kill it on GZDoom. Of course, I can't say that I tested this thoroughly.

 

For more obvious ones, like infinite height, limitation of Lost Souls, knocking monsters off platforms or such.

Edited by GarrettChan

Posted (edited)

Share this post


Link to post

Nice job, hardcore challenge, I have only done this kind of thing In one game, Dead Space 2, I did hardcore in 2 hours with 50 min and 0 deaths. Also, I only use 2 of the 3 saves. Good luck in any challenge you have, this one is truly one hell of a task.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11.08.2017 at 5:53 AM, Agenta said:

How differently does Zdoom actually behave from the original game, as I would actually be interested to know this, as I also always wondered why "official" speedruns require you to use CompetitionDoom for speedrunning.

Let's assume your setting is "Doom (strict)"

 

  • No blockmap bug means you hit the target more easily with hitscan weapons (pistol, shotguns, chainguns, chainsaw) and you are hit more easily by zombiemen, sergeants, chaingunners and spider masterminds.
  • Using fist against enemies with a large hitbox (arachnotrons, for instance) is much, much easier in ZDoom, you just have to test it yourself to believe how big the difference is.
  • ZDoom has a different weapon switching behaviour if you run out of ammo. I can't test all the cases as they are numerous but let's say you have shotgun, super shotgun and your ammo is 2 shells. You fire a shot. You automatically switch to pistol. You pick up 4 shells. The original switches to shotgun, ZDoom switches to super shotgun.
  • ZDoom eliminates quirks such as double sound of fast closing doors, monsters stuck on doortracks (I believe, not 100% sure), it counts lost souls for kills percentage and there is probably twice as many differences than those I mentioned
On 11.08.2017 at 6:35 AM, GarrettChan said:

Infinite height, limitation of Lost Souls

The first is not true in case of Doom (strict), the second if I remember some specific levels such as The Pit have a special ZDoom limit to behave like the original.

Edited by vdgg
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, vdgg said:

The first is not true in case of Doom (strict), the second if I remember some specific levels such as The Pit have a special ZDoom limit to behave like the original.

I went back and check, both ZDoom and GZDoom will set Infinite Height to yes, but they may word differently, something like "actors has infinite height", or maybe I misunderstand this term? I'm not sure. I always had this on when I was playing (G)ZDoom. If you limit the Lost Souls, maps like Map09 which has more than 21 Lost Souls by default, it actually acts like vanilla. This means exploding Pain Elementals won't spawn any Lost Souls.

 

The thing is that if you set to "Doom (Strict)", and alter some of the settings separately, it still shows "Doom (Strict)" rather than "Custom" or something like that, so you might change some of the settings unconsciously and still think this is Doom (Strict). Other than these, the listed 4 differences are true. Therefore, I usually don't recommend people playing on (G)ZDoom if it's a classic mapset.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, vdgg said:

Let's assume your setting is "Doom (strict)"

 

  • No blockmap bug means you hit the target more easily with hitscan weapons (pistol, shotguns, chainguns, chainsaw) and you are hit more easily by zombiemen, sergeants, chaingunners and spider masterminds.
  • Using fist against enemies with a large hitbox (arachnotrons, for instance) is much, much easier in ZDoom, you just have to test it yourself to believe how big the difference is.
  • ZDoom has a different weapon switching behaviour if you run out of ammo. I can't test all the cases as they are numerous but let's say you have shotgun, super shotgun and your ammo is 2 shells. You fire a shot. You automatically switch to pistol. You pick up 4 shells. The original switches to shotgun, ZDoom switches to super shotgun.
  • ZDoom eliminates quirks such as double sound of fast closing doors, monsters stuck on doortracks (I believe, not 100% sure), it counts lost souls for kills percentage and there is probably twice as many differences than those I mentioned

The first is not true in case of Doom (strict), the second if I remember some specific levels such as The Pit have a special ZDoom limit to behave like the original.

So, in small words, ZDoom is more comfortable to play?

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnQBW3u1G8I Map 9 of Doom 2 No Damage. Going to copy-paste the description of the video I wrote out. Level Specific Notes: Words cannot describe how I feel after this map is finished. I think, when this nightmare is finished, this video will remain one of my proudest accomplishments. If there is any map that shows how hard this challenge truly is, it is this one. If there is a map that makes me never want to THINK about doing this in a single-segment "movie" run, it is this one. This video was attempt 816. Eight hundred sixteen. Most of the runs were lost because of the poison at the very start of the map, and the poison in the yellow key area. This means most runs ended before the map truly begins. The rest were lost from the hexagon shaped lift area, due to shotgunners, and the Rocket-Launcher ambush, due to shotgunners and chaingunners. I'm glad to be done with this one.

 

I know this is a bump, and I'm not sure if this allowed, though if I read the rules right this should be allowed. Rest of the maps can be found in the playlist linked at the start of this thread.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now