Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Legal Question about Borrowing IWAD Textures

Question

Hey y'all,

If I understand correctly, we aren't allowed to put original Doom/Doom2 textures into a PWAD, or else /idgames will reject it, and you will be banned from the forum, and the police will kick down your door, and will drag you away to prison where you'll probably be lynched by an angry mob. Is this correct (more or less)? If so, what about WADs like Scythe 2 and Alien Vendetta that use Hexen/Heretic textures?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to borrow Hexen's lava flat, since it's way cooler than Doom's (no pun intended), but I don't want to do anything that might get me on a no-fly list. ;-)

Thanks!

-- 42PH

6 answers to this question

Redistributing any sort of artwork is a breach of copyright, but generally no one really cares unless it's blatant and widespread.

16 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

the police will kick down your door, and will drag you away to prison where you'll probably be lynched by an angry mob.

Well, you probably won't get to prison because of this.

Where did you read/hear that you mustn't use IWAD textures in PWADs?

@VOliver9: Can't find the thread now, but some guy was complaining a while back that /idgames kept rejecting his map, and the problem turned out to be that he had some Doom1 textures in his WAD. (I was kinda exaggerating about the cops and the lynch mob. ;-))

@Linguica: Eh, maybe I'll scout around for some user-made lava then.

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Realm 667 has a doom 1 texture pack for doom 2 so i don't think that that would make them reject his maps unless @Tormentor667 has illegal stuff on his site :/