Making a section impossible to shortcut via rocketjumps

Question

This is a question I've had for a while, I'm a fan of "platforming" sections and I love making them myself, however depending on the size or structure of a platforming section, I notice its possible to rocket jump to a further point in the platforming section in order to shortcut. This is something I'd like to prevent. I attached a couple images describing my most recent example.

I don't want the floor to insta kill, but I'm thinking during online coop (which is what I'm going for in this WAD) then insta kill may not be terrible. However I would like to see if I could solve this problem for the sake of it not being an issue in the future. So I'm asking everybody for any suggestions on what could be done to prevent any form of shortcutting, via rocket jumping. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_Doom_20170812_170632.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170812_170654.png

8 answers to this question

Instakill is overkill. A popular solution in rjumping maps (Doom in Hexen format) used to be placing a thing of type 9999 on the floor. It's "actor hits floor" and the action would be to teleport the player back to the start of the room. I'm not sure if there are more modern approaches, but this one should be supported across all modern C/S ports.

edit: Check it in action in, say, rjspace9f.

Also looking at the screenshots, I suspect one could still perform some rather complex rjump tricks to beat the room without ever touching the floor of the pit, heh.

Edited by dew
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, dew said:

Instakill is overkill. A popular solution in rjumping maps (Doom in Hexen format) used to be placing a thing of type 9999 on the floor. It's "actor hits floor" and the action would be to teleport the player back to the start of the room. I'm not sure if there are more modern approaches, but this one should be supported across all modern C/S ports.

edit: Check it in action in, say, rjspace9f.

Also looking at the screenshots, I suspect one could still perform some rather complex rjump tricks to beat the room without ever touching the floor of the pit, heh.

I thought of using 9999 to teleport back, and I guess that's good enough for my situation.

And I see what you mean, even if I lower the floor I feel like one could still get through the whole thing, although at that point they definitely deserve it haha

6 minutes ago, Tingsing said:

And I see what you mean, even if I lower the floor I feel like one could still get through the whole thing, although at that point they definitely deserve it haha

THANK YOU! <3

1 person likes this

Well, my lame-as-fuck solution to rjump shortcuts has been 'irritating ceiling decor' but that might be more annoying for you as a mapper and the players than it's worth :) Works well though!

1 person likes this

Have you tried not placing a rocket launcher in the map? 

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

Have you tried not placing a rocket launcher in the map? 

Word.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Well, my lame-as-fuck solution to rjump shortcuts has been 'irritating ceiling decor' but that might be more annoying for you as a mapper and the players than it's worth :) Works well though!

Do you just mean cluttering the ceiling with stuff in order to stop you? That could be an interesting solution, if the ceiling isn't too high. Unless I'm understanding you wrong lol

1 person likes this