Vote for your favourite Daikatana episode

Vote for your favourite Daikatana episode  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite Daikatana episode

• Episode 1
    • Episode 2
    • Episode 3
    • Episode 4

I bit the bullet and plowed through Daikatana. I... kinda enjoyed it. Mind you, I played through the game with all the features of the 1.3 fan patch turned on. I know the game told me it would be more enjoyable with sidekicks enabled, but at no point did I want anything whatsoever to do with Superfly or Mikiko. I've heard that even though their AI is superior in version 1.3, they're still a huge burden. The game is idiotic, buggy, unfocused, and severely lacking in polish but entertaining in a very primordial and trashy sort of way. I've played far worse. 

Episode 1 is utter dross, and dampened any hopes I had for the game onward. Fortunately, it's by far the worst section of the game. The enemies aren't the least bit challenging, but highly annoying and the weapons are perfidious pieces of junk. Why would anyone want a shotgun that fires itself six times? The environments are repetitive and dull. I dislike this episode and had little hope for the rest of the game.

Episode 2 is a dramatic improvement over the first. Unfortunately, the level design is about as linear as the previous episode's. Most of the weapons are fairly interesting, but the discs seem to be the most effective. If the Spartan warriors are so keen on vanquishing evil, then why are they so focused on my unwarranted murder instead of all the monsters they seem content to be hanging around with? And don't say it's because they're under Medusa's control, because they continued to attack me even after I killed her.

Episode 3 is legitimately good. Not quite great, but pretty good. Easily the highlight of the game. Here I learned that the bubonic plague that killed nearly half of Europe wasn't initiated by contaminated fleas. It was the direct result of a necromancer. So, I get to kill zombies, dwarfs, sorcerers, dragons, and a necromancer. Cool. I'm a sucker for dark fantasy. The John Romero Easter Egg was pretty swank. Funny how nobody even discovered it until 2015. Weapons are far better designed this time around. Hiro Miyamoto has saved all of Europe from the bubonic plague. Groovy. 

Episode 4 is roughly on par with Episode 2. The death laser is pretty fun. Without having had to share my experience points with the sidekicks (again, I'm left wondering why their inclusion was ever warranted in the first place), I'm pretty much an unstoppable demigod by this point. Why are the inmates so excessively confident that they can kill me? Why do they all want me to die, anyways? Kage Mishima's dialogue is grammatically incorrect. The final bosses are both pushovers. I kinda dig the ending. I highly doubt I'll ever want to play this game again, but I'm glad that I did.

Edited by Ajora

What is the best way to play this game? As in platform/mods/controls/etc. Not that I have high hopes for it or anything, but I'd like my experience with it to be as decent as it can get.

1 minute ago, Red said:

What is the best way to play this game? As in platform/mods/controls/etc. Not that I have high hopes for it or anything, but I'd like my experience with it to be as decent as it can get.

Install the 1.3 fan patch. Disable the save gems and sidekicks. I think I lucked out with this configuration. Had I played the 1.0 release of the game, I probably would have hated it every bit as much as everyone else did at the time.

1 hour ago, Red said:

N64, N64 Expansion Pack, default controls, CRT television

The second and third episode are the best of the game period, and I like things about each over others. My favorite weapon in the whole game was the discus from what I remember, so episode 2 might have a slight edge.

Episode 4 had a couple cool sections, especially the giant underground flooded section, though mostly for looking cool aesthetically.

Anything but the first. I was stuck in the medieval episode long enough too. Game trapped me with no health. I had to speed run and dodge to get through it. Episode 2 was the best with episode 4 at a close second.