Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Even higher-detailed quality outdoor environments over Unreal 2

Please note AndrewB's excellent review about a game that was JUST announced. His superior cognoscitive skills allow him to develop an objective review of the product solely by looking at 4 screenshots.

From what I read in the translation, this is about some kind of explosion or meltdown at Chernobyll. Let's hope it plays as good as it looks.

Ichor said:

Let's hope it plays as good as it looks.

Amen. A batch of really good new games is long overdue.

Looks like crap. Yeah, those textures are 1337, but that doesn't mean anything. The rest looks like utter crap.

It looks nice, but then again most games whose developers focus specially on graphics turn out sucky in the gameplay department... let's hope Doom III breaks that trend.

If it plays as good as it looks, i'll need my nappy changing.

All they need to do is get the plants and trees to bend like like wind was pushing them and you'll have me on the floor humping my own mouth.

Imagine if you could climb those large trees like you normally would climb trees (instead of simply being a single solid thing like the trees in Hexen 2).

Or better yet...

You're walking down that road in the sixth picture, not really expecting anything. Then all of a sudden, you hear gun shots, and the dirt flies up where the bullets hit the ground. You duck behind a tree, but the gun shots continue. You frantically look around, trying to find out where it's coming from. Then you see a lone soldier in a far off tree, near the top. You fire back at him, and you hit his body armor, knocking him out of the tree. He dislodges a bunch of leaves and a limb or two on the way down. The fall disorients him, but not for long. He gets back up, and prepares to fire at you again, but by that time, you put a few bullets into his head. Then you grab his nice, shiny gun and ammo from his corpse.

Go here. There, you can put in the site address and translate it. The translation isn't perfect, but I've seen a lot worse.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

What about Doom 3? Huh?

Yeah, but ya know AnfrewB's views on Doom 3 already.

AndrewB said:

It's obviously graphics-obsessed, meaning the fun factor will likely be nonexistent.

How can anyone argue with logic like that? You've convinced me, AndrewB; I swear never to let this obscene and offensive game anywhere near my hard drive.

AndrewB said:

It's obviously graphics-obsessed, meaning the fun factor will likely be nonexistent.

My God, AndrewB can see into the future.

After looking at the screenies I was worried this was going to be YET ANOTHER war simulation. But then I watched the video and saw... ALIENS!

This game looks awesome :)

Actualy, I kind of agree with Andrew despite his complete lack of reason on most subjects. First Person Shooters is a dead genre. As graphics complexity skyrockets, gameplay, originality and fun have seriously dropped. Long gone are the days of interesting settings, exhilerating gameplay, odd-to-the-point-of-fun guns and enemies, and fun yet not overcomplex puzzles. Now are the days lensflares out the ass, one shot one kill realism, World War 2 simulations, enemies so complex that having more than two on a the screen at a time fries a voodoo 4 on a 2ghz processor, and chaotic multiplayer madness. Hooray for progress. Technology kills the soul.

the_Danarchist said:

one shot one kill realism

You put the who with the what now?

Heh, this doesn't happen for RTCW. I shot this one bitch in the guts about 10 times with the Paratrooper Rifle and he kept shooting at me.

Eh. Shit happens.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

You put the who with the what now?

Heh, this doesn't happen for RTCW. I shot this one bitch in the guts about 10 times with the Paratrooper Rifle and he kept shooting at me.

Eh. Shit happens.

Yeah, RTCW had some odd damage issues or something. Like I got killed almost instantly by the doctor in the beginning or finished by his guard a couple times, yet at other times I'd walk around taking a ton of shots. I remember one occasion where I had to try 15 times (and about as many methods to get past this one white-uniformed guard who was lurking around the corner when I was down to about 16 health.

Some of the folks here really need to buy some decent glasses.
The game looks fucking great. Looks like a really dark, lonely atmosphere. Like posted before, the game has something to do with a nuclear meltdown. I think it's supposed to be a horror-survival-FPS. I'm looking forward to this one..

Fredrik said:

Yeah, those textures are 1337, but that doesn't mean anything.

If this is the game I think it is, the company actually sent people to the Chernobyll site to take photos for the textures (at great risk to their personal health, obviously), so they should look good! :)

And I think we can ignore AndrewB's comments. It seems apparent that he completely hates every single FPS that's been released since Doom 2 (with the possible exception of Daikatana... nah, only joking =p), and probably even single FPS made before Doom 1, and as almost every FPS currently being made has amazing graphics, that must mean that he hates of all those too.

I strongly suggest that he tries to find another genre of game to play :)

Fredrik said:

Photorealistic textures don't mean anything when the application sucks.

Yes but if the application is right the results are good :)