Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
galileo31dos01

Can enemies wallrun too?

It's been a long time since I wanted to ask this, as it happened to me only once and I don't have any proofs. Basically I once saw a shotgunner passing at the speed of light in a distant room, and I thought my eyes were deceiving me but apparently no. It was so fast that I couldn't notice if he was walking stuck to the wall or not... So I was watching this video below, at 1:46 you can see a mancubus appearing like a flash, this is the perfect example of the same explained situation

Maybe it wasn't wallrunning, but what could possibly be the reason of this?

In the video in question, the mancubus walked onto a very rapidly scrolling floor. 

Spoiler

TVqi5j5.png

The answer, as far as I am concerned, is no, they can't.

Enemy movement is an entirely different aspect in doom than player movement is. Most importantly, you need to push yourself against a wall at a specific angle for extented periods of time (relatively speaking). Enemies however will never do this, because the moment they can't move into a certain direction anymore, they will change their direction, thus making wallrunning an impossibility on a fundamental basis.

According to this post, wall running relies on something that happens in a function called P_SlideMove, and this function is only called when players move, not when monsters move.

So monsters don't wallrun, makes sense.

14 hours ago, rdwpa said:

the mancubus walked onto a very rapidly scrolling floor.

Could you explain me a little bit more of this? On a general basis please, though I assume this is not a common situation. 

49 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Could you explain me a little bit more of this? On a general basis please, though I assume this is not a common situation. 

Scrolling floors in Boom simply move actors on top of them at a set speed. Give the same sector multiple actions and it scrolls faster, therefore you end up with monsters that look like they just wallran.