Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShoDemo

Has anyone played this game? (Star Defender 1)

At the age of 8, if I remember correct, I went with my parents to buy some PSP games in an electronics store, when I saw one PC game. It was called Star Defender 1 (in my country it was sold as Galactic Guard). Apparently, this is considered to be a 2002 shmup, but your ship is limited to move only horizontally (like Space Invaders or Galaga). It had 99 levels, mostly filled with weak to strong enemies and once in a while you faced bosses. The gameplay made me happy for a long time, as a kid and the game featured a weapon upgrade system where each time you got a powerup, your weapon level raised by one, with a maximum of 5 levels and a minimum of 0 (death). It also has rockets, invulnerability, downgrades (a skull that when you pick it up, your weapon level falls by 1) and a very primitive scoring system (some enemies throw money when killed).

I finished playing it a very long time ago and I still have the disk with me.

Here is a complete playthrough of the game:

Spoiler

Yes, I know it may not look like the most beautiful game ever, but what do you think of it gameplay-wise?

There have also been a few sequels (2,3 and 4) that I haven't tried out.

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

I can understand why you would feel happy. Simple things tend to be more fun. I haven't watched the video though, just a single screenshot.

Maybe Nine Inch Heels should weigh in a bit. Her shoot-'em-up knowledge seems a lot bigger than what I might know :)

And no, I have never played that specific game, but I'm pretty I've played games with similar gameplay mechanics before.

3 minutes ago, Voros said:

I can understand why you would feel happy. Simple things tend to be more fun.

Especially for the 8 year old me at the time, that was indeed a simple game. Maybe that's why I liked it.

And for me it was probably the first shoot em up I had ever tried, so it might also be staying in my memory thanks to that.

If you're having fun playing it, then that's what matters most. I personally can't see myself enjoying that game for longer periods of time though, since all the shmups I play will wreck you if you stay at the bottom of the screen and do the left-right-left...

Have you ever tried playing that game for score? If I'm not entirely mistaken, you're missing out on points every so often.

Oh sorry, I should have explained. The playthrough is not mine. I just found it on youtube for demonstration purposes.

When I played the game, I usually grabbed everything that fell off the enemies (except the skulls). But I can't remember if I had a good score or not and I didn't care much about it. My aim then was to beat it and I managed to do it, although it wasn't hard at all. I shall try it again at a later time to see what I get.

Also, it didn't have any save game stuff. You could only use a code to continue given to you from a certain point after beating bosses.

This reminded me Space Invaders Extreme for the DS and PSP exist and those games were fucking excellent.

Just checked Space Invaders Extreme and it is by far the funkiest shmup I have ever seen.   :D

Actually, just a few weeks ago, I recalled a certain shmup-like game that I probably played around 15 years ago, and when I wanted to find it now, I was unable to find it despite searching through lots of shmup lists and videos. The game from my memories enormously resembles the one shown in the OP's video: It was also a vertical shmup with horizontal-only movement, and even some of the specific spaceship designs and movement patterns are a perfect match. Except that I believe the game from my memories ran on a more primitive tech. The background was a static picture of space with stars, at least some graphics were sprite-based in an 8-bit or 16-bit style (though some spaceships might have actually been rendered from 3D models), some projectiles were visibly low-res, and (relatively to the entire screen size) every object seemed to be bigger while moving slower. I also clearly remember the game's menu music, it was hypnotic, like 4 seconds long, consisting of 16 notes, and constantly looping: "[G---F--E-D--E---E--F-D--F---F--E-D--E---E--F-G---]". I can't entirely reject the possibility of mixing memories of several games together, but I really think the game in the OP's video is not the exact game I'm remembering, even though a lot of specific aspects are definitely more than similar, and just not by coincidence. Maybe I had played some prototype version or a bad port of this game?

3 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Maybe I had played some prototype version or a bad port of this game?

Who knows? I had a really hard time finding this Star Defender on the Internet, due to it being renamed where I live, so I guess an alternate version of it wouldn't have been unreasonable to exist. And it is not that popular of a game either. 

Anyways, good luck in finding your game and if you don't have any success there, I guess you can stick with Star Defender, if it has so many similarities.  :)

And here is the intro of Star Defender, in case it reminds you of anything (I could remember the game music, even after 10 years). I am placing it here, because it wasn't included in the game playthrough above:

Spoiler

I love this intro! And it can too be kinda hypnotic.

I used to play this game as a kid, I have fond memories of it, even though for the longest time I only had the demo, which only lasted until after defeating the first boss.

I know it's a bit unexpected, but I'm currently porting this game over to Android using Unity. I already have much of the 'core' system running, I also made a tool which can convert the levels (found in a folder called data, inside the game's directory) to XML in order to be easily read using Unity.

You can see a demo of it here. You can see certain enemies are missing, but that's because they're not implemented yet, not because the level designs are any different, some other effects are missing as well, such as the tiny falling stars in the background and the transition between waves, but all of that will eventually be implemented.

That's really cool and although it was somewhat random, I like this coincidence! Also, I am happy to find another person that played the game. I too had many good memories from it and I feel like it should have been way more famous than it is.

So, I wish you good luck in that project!  :)

And welcome to Doomworld!!!

I've played through the second, third, and fourth Star Defender games (I also unlocked and finished the black hole levels that are present in 3 and 4).  I've attempted to play the first game, but it would not run on my computer.  I didn't know that game had a physical release.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

Well, apparently it had a physical version in my country, but I searched on ebay and I couldn't find anything. It must have been too limited in production or only here a distributor sold the game in disks (my disk was called Galactic Guard and the company that sold it was called GameX).

And do you recommend playing the rest of the games in the series? I saw them recently, but I don't know if they are fun games and I am kinda curious to try them out.

They're decent little games, though they look quite a bit different from the first Star Defender.  The enemies in 2-3 tend to be like giant alien insect thingies, unlike the more typical sci-fi spaceships in the first game.

There's also Alien Stars, a scrolling shooter from the same developer.

Ah, I saw Alien Stars while looking at Awem games, but I didn't give it much attention. Not a huge fan of insect like enemies, but I guess I am going to play the rest of the games in the series once I get the chance.