Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

Memorium (Demo with Map01 Avaliable!)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0hB2WX58A_rN1RXNEE4OUNLTk0

Memorium will be (At this point) A 32 level megawad for zdoom/gzdoom that utilizes UDMF features. It will feature various sized maps, from small bite sized slaughter-lite (Lots of monsters, but not all thrown at you at once) to longer endurance styled maps.

At the moment, Map01 - Midnight Rush is 100% complete and playable, tested thoroughly and completed 100% by myself and other testers. At almost 300 monsters, I hope that the map will provide a suitable challenge to someone who enjoys a nice slaughterfest without it being too overpowered.

At the current point, CC4-tex.wad is required for the wad to work, but later down the track there will be a version avaliable with cc4-tex's resources in the main wad. There will also be a custom soundtrack down the line.

Please download if you feel like it, and take a look. For people that dislike zdoom based wads, Please understand that I am not interested in limiting myself, I wish to use all the methods avaliable to me in order to make the maps playable and fun.

Credits -

Creators of CC4-tex.wad

A HUGE thank you to @leodoom85 and @MysteriousHaruko for helping me test this map, and all my previous maps which have led to this. You both inspire me to challenge myself and the people that play my maps, and I can't thank you enough.

Edited by Phade102

I hope, you downloaded that demo file from previous wad and this one new wad. It's very useful source for fixes and bug notices. Good luck with new project. 

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

@Phade102Good luck with the project and shoot the word if you need help, as always ;)

I would still like you to help me private test, if thats okay =)

Gave the map a run, ended up with mostly mixed feelings...

I spotted a faulty thing placement here:

5991c8991853d_faultythingplacement.jpg.65feab66f090548f725b5d4a68da36d5.jpg

The lightsource can get in people's ways and it doesn't look too pleasing either, so that's probably been overlooked during testing, same applies to this missing texture:
missing-tex.jpg.588f520aec642b23ecd1ab06730d071c.jpg

A reoccurring theme of one-directional encounters which primarily serve as ammo sinks while being mostly harmless otherwise:

5991c85435f6b_ammosinks1.jpg.4a2da57a40beda39c3af6ad18fc9bda7.jpg5991c8af0617e_ammosinks2.jpg.f5e0ca90451f25af04bfbdb4addb5b61.jpg5991c86f305c4_ammosinks3.jpg.03864f8b9d183229aef9d2e0df514028.jpg5991c88466e77_ammosinks4.jpg.debd379c7dfe0c15189dbbd1122352a4.jpg

Everything people hate about hitscanners! And you didn't even make their dropped weapons available for picking them up later as far as I could see:

cheapscanners.jpg.8956f3a377213037b79d9bf72f5feb31.jpg

The YK arena is a good example of how not to use a timer. As soon as the imps started spawning in, I got my rocket launcher ready, waiting for something to actually spawn in and occupy the insanely vast real estate that area has, because you said something about slaughter... Later some HKs and revs dripped into the area and that was it for the time being. That YK area is so huge, you could warp things in at least twice as fast and it still wouldn't feel crowded. The cybie you spawn in later is mostly a time sink as well, due to how unlikely it is for shots to ever connect. In its very essence, the YK arena is a circle strafe fest that lacks gameplay depth, and its only redeeming factor is that the viles that can mess people up later down the line add at least some spice to it.

Hiding a gameplay relevant weapon such as the SSG in a secret after forcing players through the chain-/shotgunning of several mancubi, cacos, and HKs (all of which in mostly wide open areas) is a questionable move, to put it lightly.

Also I'd like to add that, just because you have 300 things in your map, it doesnt qualify as slaughter, especially since most of it is anything but. The fights that I would see a slaughtery potential for lack some serious ooomph even for a "warmup map".

Visually the map is in a better spot than its gameplay is, though I'd argue that some varied lighting here and there might make it "pop" a bit more.

That's my first impression so far, and from my POV the map might still need some thourough testing.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

Thank you for the in depth review NiH. I do very much appreciate it, and I understand your critique. I should probably consider this map 'slaughter lite' instead of full onslaughter map, because I'm still unsure how to balance a full slaughter map in a fair way. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy the map all that much, I will try much harder next time, and I will go back over the map for the next release and implement some of your suggestions (Those light sources will be removed, I may move the ssg to a more convienent area.)

The YK Arena I was very proud of, but I'm sorry you didn't like it. I wanted to give the player plenty of cover, but still cause a lot of trouble if need be. I still need to practice, but i'm going to keep trying.

EDIT: I've just done a quick overhaul. The SSG is now in the open early in the map, and the SSG's in the secrets have been replaced with powerups.

The Chaingunners on the turret platform have been replaced with what I believe to be a more suitable, fun challenge.

I've removed both the annoying lightsources that were blocking the player.

Last but not least, I've fixed the missing texture.

I personally like the flow of the map. I want the player to have to plan how they tackle rooms and such, so while this map is linear, it is only map 1. map 2 I already have a huge plan for, and it will be much more open.

EDIT 2: Link updated with modified version.

Edited by Phade102

7 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

The YK Arena I was very proud of, but I'm sorry you didn't like it. I wanted to give the player plenty of cover, but still cause a lot of trouble if need be. I still need to practice, but i'm going to keep trying.

The problem isn't the cover.... The area is huge in comparison to what you spawn in. I could do there just fine without any cover at all, because it's possible to liberally circle around the entire area without there being anything that could get me, or anybody else, corned and deal consequential damage. The only thing cover might be needed for is the viles, but funnily enough even those can be cheesed by abusing the cybie or some revs to get them to fight something else. If you want to put in some slaughter that qualifies as such, however easy or difficult it may be, you need for things to put at some noticeable pressure on the player somehow, and if you don't use viles to snipe players, you will need lots more things to make sure players have something to worry about at some point.

On the subject of the fight at the exit: Remove that blursphere there. You have almost exclusively projectile enemies in that fight, and nobody with a sane mind would want to pick that blur sphere up anyway.

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

The problem isn't the cover.... The area is huge in comparison to what you spawn in. I could do there just fine without any cover at all, because it's possible to liberally circle around the entire area without there being anything that could get me, or anybody else, corned and deal consequential damage. The only thing cover might be needed for is the viles, but funnily enough even those can be cheesed by abusing the cybie or some revs to get them to fight something else. If you want to put in some slaughter that qualifies as such, however easy or difficult it may be, you need for things to put at some noticeable pressure on the player somehow, and if you don't use viles to snipe players, you will need lots more things to make sure players have something to worry about at some point.

On the subject of the fight at the exit: Remove that blursphere there. You have almost exclusively projectile enemies in that fight, and nobody with a sane mind would want to pick that blur sphere up anyway.

okay. Maybe adding more monsters would work. Ill try.

41 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

okay. Maybe adding more monsters would work. Ill try.

Just to give you a basic idea as to how large the arena is:

Its longest side is 2048 mu as far as I could see, and it's practically a square shaped room, so let's just say 2048 x 2048 to keep it simple. Now try to guess how many Hell knights would fit into that area.

Spoiler

more than 1750

If you now look at how many things you spawn in (I guess it's like 50 things or so, maybe even less) it should examplify why there is basically no reason for you to set up a timer to slow down the spawning of monsters in that area to begin with.

Spawning a couple thousand things into that area might make it tedious though. So the question that needs to be answered is how you're going to attempt to kill the player in that area (which is centered around using the rocket launcher) without just throwing tons of meat at people. ;-)

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Just to give you a basic idea as to how large the arena is:

Its longest side is 2048 mu as far as I could see, and it's practically a square shaped room, so let's just say 2048 x 2048 to keep it simple. Now try to guess how many Hell knights would fit into that area.

Reveal hidden contents

more than 1750

If you now look at how many things you spawn in (I guess it's like 50 things or so, maybe even less) it should examplify why there is basically no reason for you to set up a timer to slow down the spawning of monsters in that area to begin with.

Spawning a couple thousand things into that area might make it tedious though. So the question that needs to be answered is how you're going to attempt to kill the player in that area (which is centered around using the rocket launcher) without just throwing tons of meat at people. ;-)

Its definitely a challenge I can handle. I think I'll add some more monsters, but to the existing waves, so you just have to fight more and work harder.