Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
termrork

Voodoo doll timer

an idea about voodoo dolls came into my head, maybe one can implement this (have not tried it out yet):

as soon as you pick up an inv sphere the voodoo doll gets into a room in which it is fixed. in there a cyberdemon

constantly shoots rockets (to a hitscan monster which attacked it in the beginning).

this way you get an instant death as soon as the inv sphere ends. of course if you pick up another one you

are safe for a few more seconds. if this works this might be fun for some gameplay ideas like, pick up the inv sphere

and you HAVE to end the level in the next 30 secs or you have a map with a chain of inv spheres and you

have to be quick enough going through the map.

What do you think?

Making cyberdemon the shoot the voodoo doll seems the most challenging part. How will you make the hitscan monster hit the cyberdemon, and then guarantee it to remain alive while still visible?

1 minute ago, bonnie said:

@Nevander i don't think damaging floors actually work with voodoo dolls

at least they didn't when i tried using them :c

Really? RIP...

So then a timed crusher in a tight space might be good then like Not Jabba suggested.

I second what jabba said.  Make a W1 linedef action to lower the ceiling as a crusher onto The voodoo doll.  Position the linedef so that you trip it as you grab the invulnerability sphere.

OR you can have a false wall window behind you at the start that you cannot see through, but a hitscanning enemy that will fire at you sees you through the cyberdemons that is placed in between you two.  That will agitate the cyberdemon.

Cool idea. I also suggest disabling the invuln sphere palette change because it would be pretty boring to look at black and white stuff all the time.

Another option:

At the start of the map implement the (gross hack) of merging sector type 11 below a -20 damaging floor and tag both sectors to crush the player as well. That should allow the player to get to <11% health without dying pretty quickly. You may need to give them an invul before exiting that setup so they don't get crushed on exit or something.

Then keep using damaging floor types throughout the map and use the invuls as described above.

EDIT: test the crusher a bit first though as it may push the player into the floor of the sector with type 11 and exit the map :)

9 hours ago, Tracer said:

OR you can have a false wall window behind you at the start that you cannot see through, but a hitscanning enemy that will fire at you sees you through the cyberdemons that is placed in between you two.  That will agitate the cyberdemon.

this is what I thought, one has to make sure the hitscan monster can attack the cyberdemon but does not get killed by it.

crusher does not really work I think since it will introduce a random delay when the inv sphere runs out...

9 hours ago, Memfis said:

Cool idea. I also suggest disabling the invuln sphere palette change because it would be pretty boring to look at black and white stuff all the time.

oh yeah I did not think about that.... then maybe not the whole map, but for the final part of a map (the inv sphere is always accessible and you have to decide when to pic it up such that you can end the level in time).

@traversd, actually I am not sure how this should work : (

Well, changing the palette thing is easy if necessary, you just need to edit PLAYPAL a bit (very simple in Slade) and it will work in all ports. You can disable the effect completely or maybe make it so that everything becomes a little more dark or something. There are tons of options.

10 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Well, changing the palette thing is easy if necessary, you just need to edit PLAYPAL a bit (very simple in Slade) and it will work in all ports. You can disable the effect completely or maybe make it so that everything becomes a little more dark or something. There are tons of options.

ah yes you are right, thank you!

There's a map in Scythe that does something similar to this. It uses a crusher, and the gimmick of the map is that you have a very short time to complete it. It's fucking bullshit. Still a great idea, though.

On 15.8.2017 at 0:03 AM, termrork said:

What do you think?

Unnecessarily complicated. I could simply activate some crusher over a doll or so to get the same effect when the invul wears off.... no hustle involved...

Other than that, it's not difficult to put players on a timer anyway.... provided you know the speed at which dolls travel depending on the length of the linedef that dictates the speed of it. That would also spare you the eye-rape of a permanently black/white screen...

This reminds me a bit of a wad from @MathsDevil, "OCD-Doom."

MathsDevil did things a bit closer to NiH's description though, with switches activating pillars to denote time and each new switch extending the time the player has before a forced death. Was a fun, hectic little adventure!

A more intricate but also more flexible setup would be "chaining" several dolls in seperate corridors, with each corridor having its own switch that prevents the doll inside form crossing a linedef that will trigger a crusher, by pushing something into the corridor that makes it impossible for the doll to ever cross the linedef that activates said crusher. in each corridor there would however be a linedef dolls can always cross, which would send the next doll on its way in its very own corridor. It's nowhere near as complicated as it sounds, and it's a setup that can easily be tweaked to match whatever kind of map you are building, because it does not necessarily limit your map to being designed around the idea that each switch has to be used in a timespan of 30 seconds, you could use whatever timewindow you so desire.