Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

The "stupid mod idea" thread

Has a Robocop TC ever been attempted before? It's an idea I've been thinking about for over a year after discovering other TC's and seeing such amazing creations like the Castlevania one. I'd love to see the sound effects from that movie put into the mod with opening doors, stomping movements and the gun sounds (Maybe even a "thank you for your cooperation, goodnight" quote at the end game screen). 

It may be a dumb idea cause I fear it could lead to trouble with the copyrights going back to MGM. As much as I like the idea personally, I can see it being troublesome to players from a gameplay perspective. Staying true to Robocop, the player movement speed would have to be greatly slowed down and there wouldn't be much variety in the weapons (most of the game would heavily rely on Robocop's infamous machine gun-like pistol). One weapon I'd want in the game is the fists and to try and replicate when Robocop punches people and they go flying backwards like in the movie. 

Then there is the whole argument of level design and setting up enemies as criminals in the streets of Detroit and a level with the special ED-209 as a boss. Something I'd worry about and what I keep thinking of would be how do you make this challenging? The film shows Robocop as nearly invincible against criminals, so I'd greatly worry about the game even being challenging from the get go (and the difficulty spiking when you fight ED-209 or deal with rocket launchers like Clarence Bodicker's gang at the end of the movie). There are other things I could mention like potential levels where you have to rescue hostages or something. 

Other stuff - would not know how to even attempt a Robocop style status bar or screen. It would be cool to try and replicate the one from the movie, but certain things would have to be taken into consideration for gameplay. I don't know if the tracking system would be possible or some of the other special gimmicks that Robocop had like the X-ray vision in one scene and how he could scan a room to determine how many enemies are present. 

I fear it's a dumb idea the more I think about it, despite how neat I originally thought it. 

A dumb idea popped up in my mind yesterday: A mod which allows you to run out of punches.

Yeah, you read that right :v .

59 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

A dumb idea popped up in my mind yesterday: A mod which allows you to run out of punches.

Yeah, you read that right :v .

Like a  Stamina bar? Maybe limited running as well

36 minutes ago, Chezza said:

Like a  Stamina bar? Maybe limited running as well

No, just like the other weapons. Say, 10 punches per map.

4 hours ago, Agent6 said:

No, just like the other weapons. Say, 10 punches per map.

Berserk powerups give you 10 more. Keep in mind that if you miss you'll still lose those valuable punches!

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I would be in so much trouble so fast because I almost always punch pinkies to save ammo.

Irony, thy name is Doom.

Impossible Shun Doom - every item replaces with WolfSS, but everyone including WolfSS ignores Doomguy :>

1 minute ago, Voltcom9 said:

Shun Doom!

The enemies no longer pay any attention to Doomguy and act as though he is not even there!!!

Would that even include when they were attacked?

If not, you could even make the enemies ridiculously overpowered. Sort of a "they're doing you a favor by ignoring you" type of thing. It would definitely change the complexion of the boss fights, since you wouldn't be able to just avoid them.

3 minutes ago, Voltcom9 said:

Impossible Doom!

Replaces All Health, Armor, Weapon, Powerup, and Ammo Pickups with WolfensteinSS!!!

On February 7 in this thread (on page 5), I posted about an idea that Matthias and I came up with that was in this same vein, culminating with:

1) 1% of health on start

2) only fists and pistol

3) All things are replaced with cyberdemons

4) Generate randomly damage for some floors

Maybe yours and ours could combined as different difficulty levels.

A modified version of USK GOV's The Floor is Lava wad.

Credits to @Aquila Chrysaetos for this script. Guy's an asshole, but he writes some neat scripts.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:14 PM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Here's a possible script:

script "Lava Hell" OPEN
{
 for (int s=0; s<=1000; s++)
      ChangeFloor (s, "LAVA1");
      Sector_SetDamage (s, 5, MOD_LAVA, 0, 0);
}

This would change all the flats to LAVA1 and set their damage to 5 health at the same interval as Doom's standard hurt floors.

It's a shame I don't get notified if I mention or quote myself. That'd be hilarious.

Choose your own Doom adventure:

You start in a room with three switches. Press one and a scene plays. Then, depending on what switch you hit, you have a choice of more switches. Press one and another scene plays. And so forth until you die, exit the map, or some other ending (i.e. make friends with a hell knight and go off to live together, or be forced to stay in one spot for the rest of your life due to about a hundred revenant rockets orbiting you, or a random cacodemon ate your blue key and you have to spend the rest of the story waiting around for the key to come out).

40 minutes ago, Ichor said:

Choose your own Doom adventure:

You start in a room with three switches. Press one and a scene plays. Then, depending on what switch you hit, you have a choice of more switches. Press one and another scene plays. And so forth until you die, exit the map, or some other ending (i.e. make friends with a hell knight and go off to live together, or be forced to stay in one spot for the rest of your life due to about a hundred revenant rockets orbiting you, or a random cacodemon ate your blue key and you have to spend the rest of the story waiting around for the key to come out).

This thread is supposed to be stupid ideas.

To me, this sounds like a decent idea, but I would not see it go far.

Duke Nukem 3d TC for GZdoom

What about a mod where nuclear war-ferrets come to save Doomguy, but only in one map? The ferrets would be jpg images inside a picture frame, with a full rotation on the frames and everything!

20 hours ago, Voltcom9 said:

Impossible Doom!

Replaces All Health, Armor, Weapon, Powerup, and Ammo Pickups with WolfensteinSS!!!

I think that could actually work if the enemies were to drop the items they're replacing upon death. Sure, you'd spend more ammo, but that's the whole point, ain't it?

Just now, Voltcom9 said:

A simple mod which replaces blood specks and bulletpuffs with rocket explosions.

So we can have chainguns with explosive rounds? Sign me up!

*Thinks about chaingunners* Nvm.

1 hour ago, Voltcom9 said:

The silver lining here is that they would just as easily explode themselves on a wall. Mind you in an open area you would not even stand a chance of survival. :P

For this mod, the chain gunners would have to be modified to take slightly more time to acquire you as a target, so as to give you a slightly better chance to finish them off before their rounds tore you apart.

Perhaps I missed the point of the mod in the context of the thread...

I once did a weapons-n-monsters enhancer that made the chaingun an explosive firing rotary cannon.

As it turns out chain gunners aren't nearly as bad as you think with explodey rounds.

19 minutes ago, Rifle Infantry said:

I once did a weapons-n-monsters enhancer that made the chaingun an explosive firing rotary cannon.

As it turns out chain gunners aren't nearly as bad as you think with explodey rounds.

Were they actual rocket explosions though? As in causing a shitton of damage.

I wonder what would happen if you replaced the bulletpuff and blood actors with BFGBall "explosions" instead of rockets.

I figure everything would die very quickly, but that depends on how the tracers would work.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:04 AM, KVELLER said:

Were they actual rocket explosions though? As in causing a shitton of damage.

I think they were turned down significantly but still far more powerful than actual chaingunner bullets. To be fair you had both a rapid-fire assault rifle and the aforementioned explosive chaingun, so you could usually get them before they got you.

As for a new stupid mod idea: Some archvile comes up with a plan to defeat Doomguy, setting up a weird magic trap that turns him into a Baron of Hell. For whatever reason it doesn't slave his mind to Satan though (chalk it up to heroic willpower) and so he has to fight his way through the forces of Hell again, using both a combination of ripping-and-tearing, basic magic spells, and heavy weapons that you'd usually see mounted on vehicles, to find said archvile and beat the shit out of him and his spells.

Come to think of it, that's basically Hearts of Demons: BARON, isn't it.

A combination of the aforementioned Doom, but everything is fucked up and Doom, but it's completely fucking unplayable.

Then it would truly be completely fucking unplayable.