Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

The "stupid mod idea" thread

BTW, two pieces of advice: Make something like RAMP did, a hub with a bunch of rooms already pre-made, with spaces where you can add extra corridors as appropriate.

And if someone isn't happy with the default room size and really wants to super-size it, GZDoom portals can help a lot with that. Not to mention that UDMF and its vertices-not-locked-to-the-grid thingy could help a lot as well.

Doom 2 theme backwards, where all the classic levels are remade in Wolfenstein 3D secret levels style and the secret maps are remade in Classic style of techbase, city or hell.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:29 AM, CBM said:

I was thinking about an unholy union of pirate doom and monkey island but for GZDoom... so 3d monsters that are civilians, various NPCs, monsters, pirates, ghost pirates, zombie pirates and skeleton pirates

and a doomified version of insult sword fighting... like instead of "How appropiate, you fight like a Cow" it could be "How appropiate, you fight like a Zombieman" etc... and it should allow the player to learn new insults just like in Monkey Island

the game would have both FPS, RPG (like monkey island but also like dungeons and dragons) and puzzle elements, also with some pirates of the caribbian thrown in for good measure... aiii... that be a proper piraty game matey

and then it would need 32 levels that are heavily inspired by the locations in the monkey island series

the UI and weapons would be pirate doom like (because they are awesome) and the weapons would be 3D objects

not sure if there would be cacodemons with pirate hats and eye patches but then again, they could be a part of it and they could look even better in 3D

2 hours ago, Master O said:

exactly, but with the addition of the stuff I mentioned.. .and 3d models... I did mention pirate doom and pirate doom would be a good base for the stuff I want to do

On 9/9/2021 at 4:52 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Here's a seriously stupid one I'm seriously considering:

THE DOOMED MUSEUM

-This project will be in the spirit of DOOM-1. The project's base will be a hub that looks like a museum entrance.  

-Any user can build a room in the museum.

-Each room must contain some kind of sector art creation.

-There is no theme. You can make a dinosaur, a robot, an octopus, characters from movies or games, etc.

-Users can contribute as many creations as they want. There is no limit to how big a room can be, or how many creations it can contain.

-Users are free to add detail to the museum or shift the layout around.

-Users are welcome to take requests from the community to get ideas of what they should build.

-There will be no enemies, no HUD, no weapons.

What do you guys think? The point of this project is that any member, even if they have little experience, can build something.

I love this. Good idea

Idk why but I came up with an idea where Doomguy gets trapped in a Candy Land which means every weapon, enemy, armor and everything else will be made out of candy. I call it.....

THE DOOMED SUGAR (Yeah ik, it sounds dumb)

On an unrelated note, someone needs to do a mod that combines Leisure Suit Larry and Doom, just to see how bad it would be.

Leisure Suit Doom

Doom, but randomly you get pulled out of whatever map you are playing on to play some sort of short minigame.  Trick is, you lose the minigame you die and have to restart the map. Also there should be more then 1 or 2 types of annoying (or fun) minigames so it doesn't get too stale. And since the minigame would be random it could happen 2 seconds after loading into a map or 10 minutes of playing a map. 

I dont know.... I thought it would be stupid but possibly entertaining if done correctly.

Not a mod but I had this idea for a CP that I'm definitely not going to start, so I'm just going to mention it here and if anyone likes this silly idea enough to do it themselves, feel free to.

"DOOM in Things Only". Start with the original DOOM maps, and delete all linedefs, so that only the things remain. The new maps must be created without touching the existing things, that is not removing any of them, changing any of their properties, nor moving them around; adding new things is also not allowed. Also all things present in a should all ideally be accesible to the player, so no leaving them outside the map or anything like that.

Its sister project would of course be "DOOM in Linedefs Only", where all things are deleted, all the the existing lines must be kept where they are, and no new lines can be created. Allowed operations would naturaly consist of changing exisiting line and sector properties, and merging sectors or creating new ones as long as it doesn't involve adding or removing lines. Thing placement is, of course, whatever the mapper wants.

A mod based on the awful doom movie. Make it to where you fire the "Bio Force Gun" a couple of times at the wall and never use it again. Make a lot of dark rooms and quiet dialogue, keep the action to a minimum and at the end.

32 minutes ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

"Bio Force Gun"

Bio Force Gun is cringe (it's a joke don't kill me pls)

On 9/17/2021 at 8:24 PM, QuotePilgrim said:

DOOM in Linedefs Only

Mh, i don't think it could be a good idea, since we are going to touch the IWAD original maps, making it a warez project where everybody getting angry for using the original assets unmodified for your stuff

In thing Only is a better concept, tried to do a map using the MAP01 and E1M1 things, but i wasn't happy of the results...

20 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

Bio Force Gun is cringe (it's a joke don't kill me pls)

Yeah, it was a way to censor it and make it more scientific sounding.. hahaha.

Stupid Hollywood

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Mh, i don't think it could be a good idea, since we are going to touch the IWAD original maps, making it a warez project where everybody getting angry for using the original assets unmodified for your stuff 

In thing Only is a better concept, tried to do a map using the MAP01 and E1M1 things, but i wasn't happy of the results...

There are lots of maps out there that are just minor modifications of existing maps. I don't play deathmatch a lot, or ever, really, but even then I saw multiple DM maps that are just all of MAP01 with some stuff added to it, and I don't see anyone being mad at them. Taking an existing map and messing around with the floor and ceiling heights of the sectors, changing textures and linedef types etc can make for a far more unique map than any of those, so I don't see that being an issue.

And besides, the linedefs wouldn't be unmodified original assets because 1) changing the texture of a linedef is modifying it and 2) linedefs aren't even assets to begin with. Anyway I don't really expect anyone to take the idea seriously enough to turn it into a real CP, so it doesn't really matter. But I will say I 100% believe there's no problem in making maps this way, except for it being arguably lazy.

As for the other one, glad to hear someone at least gave it a shot, but I was thinking about it and maybe not changing any of the things' properties might be a tad too restrictive, so maybe changing stuff like angle so you can turn monsters around and change which direction the player starts facing at, and whether a monster is set to ambush. As long as every thing is in the same place, is the same thing type as in the original map, and has all its skill flags unchanged, it would be fine. It's just a silly idea I had and didn't really put too much thought into, if somehow anyone wants to go with it, they might want to change the rules a bit.

Edited by QuotePilgrim

Not a stupid mod but something I've thought up:

Doom but you play as a random monster and demon placement are replaced by marines with varying weapons, some maps either become impossible (getting a low tier monster) or be easier to beat (flying monsters like Cacos can break some maps like Doom 2's MAP 03 for example).

In case the players gets a tall or big monster like an Archvile or Cyberdemon, they are shrunken to the player's size so they can fit into some areas.

Here's a stupid mod idea:

Doom but Amongus.

el0w6q7dyqo51.png

50 minutes ago, BrassKnight said:

Doom but you play as a random monster and demon placement are replaced by marines with varying weapons, some maps either become impossible (getting a low tier monster) or be easier to beat (flying monsters like Cacos can break some maps like Doom 2's MAP 03 for example).

In case the players gets a tall or big monster like an Archvile or Cyberdemon, they are shrunken to the player's size so they can fit into some areas.

Doom but Amongus.

el0w6q7dyqo51.png

Funniest sh*t I've seen so far

5 hours ago, BrassKnight said:

Doom but Amongus.

el0w6q7dyqo51.png

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=51988

"Imp"atience is the mod's name

On 9/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, BrassKnight said:

Doom but Amongus.

el0w6q7dyqo51.png

Just.....why?....

Don't subject us to this level of torment brassknight!!!

Ahahah!

the solo adventures of

el brujo especial

the former trusty sidekick to ash williams that helped his jefe fight the forces of evil

now he fights alone...

but sometimes he may get help from some mexican superhero wrestler allies ?

adversaries... your standard run of the mill demons and whatnot

On 9/19/2021 at 6:45 PM, QuotePilgrim said:

There are lots of maps out there that are just minor modifications of existing maps. I don't play deathmatch a lot, or ever, really, but even then I saw multiple DM maps that are just all of MAP01 with some stuff added to it, and I don't see anyone being mad at them.

I dont know... my All4One map, that was made out of my own designs plus rooms from Doom E1M1, Doom 2 MAP01, FreeDOOM 1 E1M1 and FreeDOOM 2 MAP01...

...did get alot of negative attention due to the use of rooms from the DOOM and DOOM2 IWADs.

On 9/17/2021 at 1:44 PM, J.Argon said:

Doom, but randomly you get pulled out of whatever map you are playing on to play some sort of short minigame.  Trick is, you lose the minigame you die and have to restart the map. Also there should be more then 1 or 2 types of annoying (or fun) minigames so it doesn't get too stale. And since the minigame would be random it could happen 2 seconds after loading into a map or 10 minutes of playing a map. 

I dont know.... I thought it would be stupid but possibly entertaining if done correctly.

dora doom - doom with dora the explorer as the main charecter

----

randodoom

a megawad made from 32 random generated levels that has then been modified by the author

or a megawad with 32 levels made from bits and pieces from random generated megawads

Not sure if stupid, but a Doom II Mod, where every map you play has only 1 enemy that uses multiple attacks and has ton of hp would be plain cruelty to players.

what if a map had multiple paths and with each playthrough a script selected what paths were available based on randomness and only spawned monsters, items etc

on those paths that has been opened?

3 hours ago, CBM said:

randodoom

a megawad made from 32 random generated levels that has then been modified by the author

or a megawad with 32 levels made from bits and pieces from random generated megawads

This sounds interesting...

5 hours ago, CBM said:

randodoom

That's honestly not a bad idea for a community project.

5 hours ago, CBM said:

dora doom - doom with dora the explorer as the main charecter

Jokes aside, I'd play that

Spoiler

Seriously, I legitimately think it'd be an interesting mod