Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

The "stupid mod idea" thread

3 hours ago, kalaeth said:

the secret doom

all levels can only by finished by finding increasingly harder to get secrets. 

So, something MAP01 has the exit hidden behind a misplaced texture, but by MAP20some you have to do a timed run from one switch to the next to the next to open up a small square of wall where a shootable switch is that opens the exit.

That already exists:

On 7/6/2020 at 4:15 AM, Cell said:

The Misadjustment Floortexture Pack (a.k.a. "Is everyone else stupid or am I the only helicopter here?")

Yeah, we could align the infamous CEIL1_1 and its fellow offenders to "be in their right place", but what about...
CEIL3_1.png.e9bb25ea05691bbecd594a13ac91c881.png > STEP1.png.4473bd657ae21d51b061777ef5a56dc9.png

FLOOR0_6.png.b1cc206157bb2e26e656ce2c1d63db4f.png > FLAT18.png.547fcc2aec3e2153efb238ea610081bb.pngFLAT9.png.5adfbc9752163b64fc916996604cc84e.pngSTEP2.png.974512f9e71eb9b5957646d1c1123cac.png

CEIL1_1.png.149eba78f48043a81a84826809025c5a.png > FLOOR3_3.png.7a437b440528b10b276bcdbcf2c07d0b.pngDEM1_5.png.b0741e5bb62e05826f196239fe1b3eca.pngFLAT22.png.943a0dde78dc691400c5ca1186310ef7.pngCEIL1_3.png.a033cf7a49d80621061c73a85e5dc82c.pngCEIL1_2.png.11ff766b10c928609696586e99c01fe0.pngGATE4.png.6de85ef1df9ce0435c7ed8dff753ebd8.png
...adjusting all the other flats to their misposition instead?

Coming up next, the graphic/patch texture version! Stay tuned.

Hey cell, remember v e r b o s e  d o o m?

A random level generator like Oblige, except that it generates only maps and areas from the PWADs of Maximum Doom.

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

A random level generator like Oblige, except that it generates only maps and areas from the PWADs of Maximum Doom.

The best part of the mod is that every damm autogenerated map is Cacoward material.

A Slaughter Map with like the saddest music or chillest. destroy 15 caco's while "Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin plays. 50 Cybies with "What's Goin' on?" by Marvin Gaye. Maybe some Christian music, too. "Slow Train" by Bob Dylan as you finish your final Mancubus.

Doom 2, but every map is like map 24 from beginning to end. With ice. And wind. And tons of pain elementals and revenants. Also arch-viles. Maybe a cyberdemon or two. And it will be called: Sarchasm.

7 hours ago, Ichor said:

Doom 2, but every map is like map 24 from beginning to end. With ice. And wind. And tons of pain elementals and revenants. Also arch-viles. Maybe a cyberdemon or two. And it will be called: Sarchasm.

And all the ledges are self-referential sectors.

16 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

A Slaughter Map with like the saddest music or chillest. destroy 15 caco's while "Cats in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin plays. 50 Cybies with "What's Goin' on?" by Marvin Gaye. Maybe some Christian music, too. "Slow Train" by Bob Dylan as you finish your final Mancubus.

100,000 Commander Keens while "Bananaphone" plays. Sign me up.

A mod where you get perma-invincibility power until the next level but only after killing all the monsters on a map.

An H-Doom themed Slaughterwad consisting of 32 levels. 

The two hidden levels would parody Wolfenstein 3D, so the Nazi enemies are chicks in Nazi bondage gear.

Ocelot Mod. All your guns can't kill demons if you shoot them directly, you have ricochet your bullets on walls (or any solid objects) to hurt them. Bullets and shells will bounce off your enemies harmlessly, rockets would just fall off on impact and plasma and BFG balls poof out of existence. With each bounce, bullets and projectiles get stronger and some will even have extra effects. 

You can also get yourself killed by own ricocheting bullets too so be careful about that.

I never thought my idea of an Atari DOOM was a bad idea. 

But, an awful WAD idea is a WAD with the Atari palette. imagine fighting hundreds of imps that look like moldy jack-o-lanterns, or running over a pool of oozy bloody gore... that is just one color of red. I would absolutely hate it, but what I would hate more is the 8-bit music ruining the whole map. also, the game would just be rooms where all the same size, just with some ammo caches and enemies hiding. maybe a key that is supposed to be in the middle of the room, but ends up being like 100 pixels off. Uhg! I would absolutely hate it. that's why I'm putting it here. 

Not a mod per se, but I have a probably-dumb idea for a level: BFG Factory. The only weapon pickup is the BFG, The only ammo type I would place on the level: SMALL cell charge ammo. That's right, only the cell charges which give you 20 cells, none of the ones which give you 100. Other than the 50 bullets that comes with a pistol start, you're out of luck.

EDIT: I would place more than one small cell pack, obviously, I'm just saying I won't flood the player with the large packs. There's a big difference between needing 6 or 30 ammo pickups to refill your gun.

The level will be an exercise in strategic BFG usage and ammo management.

It sounds neat to me in theory, but obviously, it's very gimmicky and it could easily get tiresome playing the same thing over and over again.

EDIT: Maybe this should be a secret level.

Edited by Stabbey

12 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Not a mod per se, but I have a probably-dumb idea for a level: BFG Factory. The only weapon pickup is the BFG, The only ammo placed on the level: SMALL cell charge ammo. That's right, only the cell charges which give you 20 cells, none of the ones which give you 100. Other than the 50 bullets that comes with a pistol start, you're out of luck.

The level will be an exercise in strategic BFG usage and ammo management.

It sounds neat to me in theory, but obviously, it's very gimmicky and it could easily get tiresome playing the same thing over and over again.

there would be no point to the small cell, as the BFG has 40 ammo on pickup and the small cell only adds 20 cells. the bfg takes off 40 ammo, so the 20 left will do nothing. Still, I don't think this is a dumb idea at all. 

1 hour ago, LiT_gam3r said:

there would be no point to the small cell, as the BFG has 40 ammo on pickup and the small cell only adds 20 cells. the bfg takes off 40 ammo, so the 20 left will do nothing. Still, I don't think this is a dumb idea at all. 

I am aware that it takes two small cell packs to fire the BFG once and would provide appropriate ammo where applicable. I sometimes probably would place in large cell packs sometimes, saying I wouldn't use any was a bit of hyperbole to emphasize that I'd use the small ammo packs a LOT more than the large ones. It's just that I've noticed that many wad authors placing mostly the 100-ammo packs in large numbers, which means the player can use the weapons freely. That is fun often, but there's more than one way to challenge players.

In my current work in progress, I have 71 of the 20-cell ammo compared to 15 of the 100-cell ammo (and some of those 15 are for lower difficulties). There's still enough ammo to use, but the player isn't going to quickly re-max their plasma gun ammo after each fight.

Flash Mob Doom. At random moments, everything starts to do random things. At the end of the show some message about some "important battle" that doesn't make sleep people at night appears locking the game for 30 seconds and the game return back to his normal routine, until another Flash Mob starts at random moments and this for all the play time.

Edited by Walter confetti

A mod that randomly replaces all BFG9000 pickups with one of the previous 8999 models. You have to hope the next one you find is gonna be at least BFG8000 and not BFG1 again.

16 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

A mod that randomly replaces all BFG9000 pickups with one of the previous 8999 models. You have to hope the next one you find is gonna be at least BFG8000 and not BFG1 again.

also, there should be a text file that describes the history, characteristics and weak points of each BFG model. in details.

GREATEST WORST MOD EVER!

-4 episodes

-different player per episode

-The Beatles

Play as John, Ringo, Paul, and George as you fight weird-ass LSD monsters. Go level to level finding the golden sitar, and be reunited with the rest of the band. Get armed with meguitar, a Grand Piano, Symbol Shurikens, and Super bass! listen to Yellow Submarine on repeat (distorted, for legal reasons)!

On 8/3/2020 at 5:05 PM, franrc124 said:

Super Doom 64

For real now, we have super mario 64's source code, and i kinda want to play doom inside super mario 64 or super mario 64 inside doom.

is kinda my "modding dream" to recreate super mario 64 in doom, but in 100% chunky vanilla! "maybe with doom 1 design?"

my firsts maps are "amateurish" recreations of peach's castle and bob-bomb battlefield... sadly i lost the files! >.=.<"

On 8/3/2020 at 4:05 PM, franrc124 said:

Super Doom 64

For real now, we have super mario 64's source code, and i kinda want to play doom inside super mario 64 or super mario 64 inside doom.

Something close has already been made.

The Solidarity for Germany™ map mod for Doom 2.

Because the two secret maps were modeled after Wolfenstein 3D with all the Nazi symbolism present, the German release of the game cut those maps. It's all fine and dandy, but what did they get to be compensated for that?

Nothing.

The secret room with the CRACKLE and the silver teleport pedestal on MAP15 was just an alternate route for MAP16.

Here comes SfG, which would include two amazing id-style maps for the slots MAP31 and MAP32 (without any Nazi stuff whatsoever, because it's law-obedient, civil and polite.) Everything else would be the exact same as the 1994 release.

Now, to show fairness. The mod would be completely free for Germans, and only for Germans, because they already paid for the game, roughly the same market price as the uncut original version. As for non-Germans, well... they would have to pay exactly 1/17th of the original Doom 2 price to download and play it.

That's it, really. To provide context, I'm not really a finances and/or marketing expert.

A mod where you are a vegan and have to protect a Baron of Hell from being eaten by humanoids whose heads are a certain meat food, like a humanoid with a burger as a head, a pizza, etc.

If your Baron of Hell dies, you explode on eggplants and the mod crashes saying "You faiiled your mission to protect the cow".

yes.

12 hours ago, baronofgibbitude said:

Every monster has a random chance of preforming another monster's attack. That zombieman could actually be a Cyberdemon.

...and Cybbie is using a pistol. "damn storekeepers! 'we're out of rocket supply' they said! our Hell is going to bloody hell!"