Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom3ster

Moving in Doom3?

You guys think the setup for moving around in Doom3 will be the same as other id games? I mean it will still be the basic move forward, back, turn right/left, strafe right/left, jump, crouch right? I would think it would be stupid to take strafe out. I just got a new set of Ninja Edge foot switches for strafing and it would suck if they took it out. Strafing rocks! =)

Are they going to change any movements for other game controllers. Like strafing is just an on and off type movement that works with a keyboard ( or much better with my Ninja Edge switches =) ), but will they make it so you can strafe at different speeds so foot pedals like the CH pedals will control speed so the more you push them the faster you go?

~Doom3ster~

I would be really, really surprised if Doom 3's controls turned out to be different from the FPS standard.

doom3ster said:

You guys think the setup for moving around in Doom3 will be the same as other id games? I mean it will still be the basic move forward, back, turn right/left, strafe right/left, jump, crouch right? I would think it would be stupid to take strafe out. I just got a new set of Ninja Edge foot switches for strafing and it would suck if they took it out. Strafing rocks! =)

Are they going to change any movements for other game controllers. Like strafing is just an on and off type movement that works with a keyboard ( or much better with my Ninja Edge switches =) ), but will they make it so you can strafe at different speeds so foot pedals like the CH pedals will control speed so the more you push them the faster you go?

~Doom3ster~

Dumb question - of course the basic movement would be the same. Who would want id to change it?
Take out strafe??? That would be like taking half the engine out of a car. Rest assured: You WILL be able to strafe in Doom 3.

DaJuice said:

I heard you will only be able to make left turns, is this true?

Doomguy broke a leg.

ROFL!
That would be pretty nice though, to be able to break a leg.
Imagine that in multiplayer. Shoot someone's leg and make him crawl over the floor..

LOL, and with the l33t camera effect, that it really LOOKS like you're half dead hehe. You cant even see straight anymore;)

Disorder said:

ROFL!
That would be pretty nice though, to be able to break a leg.
Imagine that in multiplayer. Shoot someone's leg and make him crawl over the floor..

hmm... I don't know. It would be pretty annoying.

Yeesh, I certainly pray not. I can't imagine Id now changing the basic movement system that has been in place since practically the dawn of time. LOL I do like that idea of having forward and reverse switched default, that would be extremely funny. Imagine, trying to play like that, suddenly a zombie pops out, you scream and try to run backwards, but instead run right into it. Of course, I'm not being serious or anything, I just think it would be funny to see someone do that. As for the broken leg thing, I don't know. I would prefer that over otherwise being dead, I suppose. It would make an interesting mod, I think. Not standard, though.

Well I just hope they don't do something like making movements where you can't use a keyboard... it would suck if you only could use a joystick type device to move or strafe. I would prefer everything stays the same... although additional movement features would be ok. I just have alot of time invested in my setup (Logitech Deluxe 104 Keyboard & Logitech Dual Optical Mouse, 2 Ninja Edge foot switches). I would hate to see any changes where they would force you to buy some lame game pad or other controller just to communicate with the program.

~Doom3ster~

doom3ster said:

Well I just hope they don't do something like making movements where you can't use a keyboard... it would suck if you only could use a joystick type device to move or strafe.

Now why would id kick themselves in the head like that? Obviously that would ruin whatever chances they have of making the new best game.

Control schemes that will probably be the same as most other shooters.

R for Reload- this is pretty much a given, since in the gameplay demo, you see the player reloading the shotgun and pistol a number of times before they appear to run out of ammo.

Alt for strafing- strafing in Doom? Maybe it won't be like the standard strafing we've come to see in games, more of a realistic sidestep perhaps?

Shift for walk/run toggle or switch mode- maybe this will be bound to another key, but I imagine that there will be a key for this, like in Half-Life where holding it down made you walk.

id Software games always provide individual configuration, so it doesn´t matter which key is bound to which action in the standard config.

I think the movements will be the same as in Q2/Q3, plus some extra actions like reload, a use key (not for your inventory, but for the world) and maybe lean arround corners.

orion said:

Now why would id kick themselves in the head like that? Obviously that would ruin whatever chances they have of making the new best game.

LOL well companies will do all kinds of things that seem stupid and average people fall for it because of the marketing and hype. =)

~Doom3ster~