Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

"Ice Sorcerer's Castle" new 1.1 version!

"Ice Sorcerer's Castle" is a small to medium sized map for Heretic,you play as a sidhe in the realm of parthoris after the events of Heretic,after the defeat of D'sparil the last of his troops scattered around the land,a group of them joined an evil sorcerer with the power to manipulate ice with the dream to conquer the land and become it's lord.One of the first towns and cities he attacked was your home town,fueled with rage you set out to attack his castle,destroy his troops and kill him!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Heretic_20170816_234236.pngScreenshot_Heretic_20170816_234341.pngScreenshot_Heretic_20170816_234654.png

The map is for Zdoom and its tested in both zdoom and gzdoom.

And thanks to @Not Jabba for playtesting!

Version 1.1 Changelog:

Spoiler

Legend

+ is a new thing

- is a removed thing

= is a fixed thing

+ added monsters on some parts of the map.

+ added a whole new area!

- removed the "crate" area,it was pretty weak.

= made the cave elevator a bit more forgiving.

Download

Hope you like it :D

Edited by SOSU

This is a nice little map -- simple and not very dangerous, with all the attacks still largely coming from the front, but it's a good start, and I see you've incorporated stuff I suggested for the early beta to make some of the fights more interesting. I think those areas are really improved. The one place where I got damaged pretty bad was the second Iron Lich, because it stacked up like 3 tornadoes and I had basically nowhere to run from them, so got hit by all at once. Take that as you will, but I feel like all those crates and cramped pathways in that room make it very difficult to deal with an enemy like the Lich, and not necessarily in a fun way. One possible suggestion would be to give more space to fight the Lich, but also have some enemies that teleport in behind to block the way back through the crates and add more pressure. The room with the crates was a little weak overall, actually, because there were a lot of enemies but all in front, and they all got funneled down one path by the crates, so it was really easy to just hold my ground and take them all out as they tried to reach me. The room you teleport into before the yellow key is still the best battle, and the Maulotaur arena was a pretty good setup too.

I noticed when you raise the stairs up to the blue key door, they rise veeery slowly. I would suggest making it faster and not making the player wait so long.

Anyway, thanks for making it! Always nice to play new Heretic maps.

11 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

I noticed when you raise the stairs up to the blue key door, they rise veeery slowly. I would suggest making it faster and not making the player wait so long.

Well you can explore the map while their are rising up but thanks for the review!

Unless you're planning on adding the missing weapons in the next map or maps, you might want to do away with most of those enemies that would drop ammo for them, namely the sabreclaw and ophidian. Instead, you could add some shooting gargoyles and undead ghosts.

Other things I've noticed:

1. In a lot of areas, there were many different types of enemies in a particular spot, which makes infighting almost guaranteed. While infighting isn't a bad thing, you probably don't want too much of it.

2. I don't know if you meant for the monsters to beable to teleport out of the central trident symbol room. If you wanted, you could put monster blocking all around the teleporter to prevent this.

3. That elevator in the cave side doesn't give you much time. It's possible, but it's real quick.

4. You might want to move those geodes to another part of the map, like somewhere farther along. I had to tiptoe around that area to prevent myself from picking one up while I had roughly 170 shots. Also, I didn't see any wand ammo later on except from drops.

5. In the crate room, I was able to plink a few of the golems to the edge of the crates, making them defenseless. To prevent this from happening, add block monster to each of the lines so the monsters won't get pushed off. Also, I wasn't sure, but I don't think every golem there was a nitrogolem, meaning some of them stuck on the crate without a way to hit you. I'd probably change some of them to undeads anyway, but that's just me.

6. The first iron lich (the one on the pillar) could do with a couple of enemies like a disciple or two in alcoves higher up, one on each side.

7. The maulotaur ended up killing the sabreclaws for me. Nothing wrong with that. It was just funny.

8. I liked that ice at the end.

9 minutes ago, Ichor said:

2. I don't know if you meant for the monsters to beable to teleport out of the central trident symbol room. If you wanted, you could put monster blocking all around the teleporter to prevent this.

I made that so that if you don't kill all of them they go and hunt you >:)

11 minutes ago, Ichor said:

3. That elevator in the cave side doesn't give you much time. It's possible, but it's real quick.

I find it forgiving but i will make it so that you have a bit more time

13 minutes ago, Ichor said:

5. In the crate room, I was able to plink a few of the golems to the edge of the crates, making them defenseless. To prevent this from happening, add block monster to each of the lines so the monsters won't get pushed off. Also, I wasn't sure, but I don't think every golem there was a nitrogolem, meaning some of them stuck on the crate without a way to hit you. I'd probably change some of them to undeads anyway, but that's just me.

ahh stupid me i forgot that you could do that

14 minutes ago, Ichor said:

6. The first iron lich (the one on the pillar) could do with a couple of enemies like a disciple or two in alcoves higher up, one on each side.

i wanted to do that but i slowly forgot...

i will probably redesign the entire crate area because it's the worst part of the map the part i spend the least time on making

I was expecting more ice.

Anyway, thought it'd be fun to mix the map with Karnak (partly since I find Heretic too tedious to sit through otherwise, which is why i made the mod). Only real gripe I have is that elevator being too fast -- definitely needs more time for the player to reach it without jumping. The overall design is blander in some areas than other, but I guess it does lend itself to a 90s aesthetic in that regard, so I can't complain too much.

AWESOME!!!

but i wanted to redesign the crate area and fix some other flaws yesterday but i had "family stuff" so i could't :( so you made a video about the "worse version" D: ah well atleast its a unlisted video!

I updated the map to the new 1.1 version!

Changelog:

Spoiler

+ added monsters on some parts of the map.

+ added a whole new area!

- removed the "crate" area,it was pretty weak.

= made the cave elevator a bit more forgiving.

Legend

+ is a new thing

- is a removed thing

= is a fixed thing

You can download it on the top of the thread

Edited by SOSU