Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzzball

Very bad MAP01 Remake!

On 2017. 08. 18. at 4:28 AM, NoisyVelvet said:

a hilariously bad remake

Challenge accepted.

Totally_accurate_MAP01_from_memory.zip

(It is the first time I release a map. Should have uploaded something better first...)

EDIT: I forgot: I might make a megawad with maps like this some time... :D

EDIT 2: Tested with GZDoom. 

EDIT 3 (omg): Jumping and whatnot allowed. 

Edited by VOliver9

I once made an up-side-down version of doom2 map01 for a project.

heh_tem1.png.0572da293867a1bf537939a4e1d29991.png

Hade to make transparent steps everywhere. the dm2 map01 area was actually an Easter egg.

The project was TEM ~ The Empty Museum.. we never finished it unfortunately.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

@VOliver9 surprisingly easy to die on.  I'd probably play a doom2 remake, but only because I like tickling my nostalgia nerves.  I doubt it would be popular in general.  And the maps would have to be either fun gameplay or interesting in a way that isn't just lol-random.  Like, a slightly altered and upside-down version of Doom 2, where the sky kills you if you fall into it, would be fun to puzzle through.

Though, I think the funniest MAP01 results would come from honest attempts, but under a time constraint so that it inevitably comes out bad.

8 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

@VOliver9 surprisingly easy to die on.  I'd probably play a doom2 remake, but only because I like tickling my nostalgia nerves.  I doubt it would be popular in general.  And the maps would have to be either fun gameplay or interesting in a way that isn't just lol-random.  Like, a slightly altered and upside-down version of Doom 2, where the sky kills you if you fall into it, would be fun to puzzle through.

Though, I think the funniest MAP01 results would come from honest attempts, but under a time constraint so that it inevitably comes out bad.

"lol-random" was what I was going for.

Was it funny at all? :/

EDIT: you are talking about the thread and the idea in general, right?

@VOliver9 

I liked the the floors that raise to ceiling instead of lowering.  I also liked the Hangar reference, but a previous map in this thread beat you to the joke, so it didn't have the same impact on me.  I didn't dislike nor like the wacky texturing, but was indifferent.  The things that were interesting, on the otherhand aren't chaotically random, but ironic; they play off of people's expectations.  I also liked the fight in the chaingunner/revenant/mancubus, but I suck and died to a wolfenstein soldier.  I unfortunately didn't give it another go to see what's past that.

oh wow, it turns out the thread grew a bit since I last checked here, and I didn't even realize.

I can't find it, but I recall another map sniping the Hangar joke, in particular.

edit: it was @Egg Boy who made it.

2 hours ago, NoisyVelvet said:

oh wow, it turns out the thread grew a bit since I last checked here, and I didn't even realize.

Hide contents

I can't find it, but I recall another map sniping the Hangar joke, in particular.

edit: it was @Egg Boy who made it.

Someone else did that? Was it in this thread? I didn't see it when I played through the compilation WAD. Sorry if it appears I stole it or something.

edit: Oh wait, you're saying I did it first. Whoops. My mistake.

Hey, I had an idea for future compilations. Leave Map01 unchanged so that the player has something immediate to compare the next maps with.

4 hours ago, VOliver9 said:

EDIT: you are talking about the thread and the idea in general, right?

The first paragraph was about your megawad idea.

The second paragraph is mostly about this particular thread, which organically transformed into a Entryway remake thread.  My use of the word "would" was a bad, and I didn't expand on what I was thinking.  Though, I guess I thinking: "if this thread was redone in a parallel universe as a community project, what possible rules would produce to a .wad of Entryways that would be most funny, and thus entertaining to actually download and play through the whole thing".  The most entertaining part of playing these maps is seeing the things that are off from the original, and that were presumably on accident too; there is nothing wrong with purposeful jokes, per se.  I also had scifista's map in mind when thinking of such hypothetical time constraint rules, but such rules seem unnecessary now when thinking about them again.

I recall stumbling onto an older E1M1 remake compilation about a year ago.  After looking at the thread it came form now, the rules were pretty perfect, though the first map in the compilation still said "fuck-it" and had Cyberdemons anyways.

The way this thread turned out was pretty cool too though.

6 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

The first paragraph was about your megawad idea.

The second paragraph is mostly about this particular thread, which organically transformed into a Entryway remake thread.  My use of the word "would" was a bad, and I didn't expand on what I was thinking.  Though, I guess I thinking: "if this thread was redone in a parallel universe as a community project, what possible rules would produce to a .wad of Entryways that would be most funny, and thus entertaining to actually download and play through the whole thing".  The most entertaining part of playing these maps is seeing the things that are off from the original, and that were presumably on accident too; there is nothing wrong with purposeful jokes, per se.  I also had scifista's map in mind when thinking of such hypothetical time constraint rules, but such rules seem unnecessary now when thinking about them again.

I recall stumbling onto an older E1M1 remake compilation about a year ago.  After looking at the thread it came form now, the rules were pretty perfect, though the first map in the compilation still said "fuck-it" and had Cyberdemons anyways.

The way this thread turned out was pretty cool too though.

Now I think about it again, such a megawad wouldn't be good. The messed-upness would lose its funniness after a few maps, and it'd become annoying and/or boring. Although...bad design doesn't (always) mean bad gameplay. Who knows.

I mean, I think it's fun to see how other people remember or interpret map01, I just replayed a compilation today and was having a pretty good time. I don't think it's for everyone, but the point isn't really for it to be a fun, balanced mapset.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:17 AM, scifista42 said:

I'd be a lot more interested in this project than in yet another project based on remaking or tributing the same old IWAD maps.

Seconding this. I had a similar idea awhile back, with the additional stipulation that each mapper should try to improve the map after recreating it (but say not add more than 1 significant area). Makes it a little less like telephone, but you would potentially end up with a more interesting Groundhog Day-like megawad, where every "day" Doomguy relives the same map, but it's a little different and there's usually a little more to do each time.