Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

What was the first editor to have an auto-align feature?

I'm curious to know when texture alignment became easier. Of course it was still a lot of work without the 3D mode, and I think you had to manually select all the lines you wanted to align.

I don't know if any predate DeePSea, which had a texture aligning function in 2002 (possibly before), done from the overhead editing mode.

DEU 5.1 from 1994 had only the y-offset aligning for the selected lines. WinDEU 5.24 and DETH 4.24 had both x and y. No clue of the previous versions.

I couldn't imagine making a map without this feature, let alone visual mode. I bet making maps with DoomEd was a serious pain in the ass. They had to actually visualize the level themselves in their heads and actually manually figure out all the heights. Tremendous respect though for being able to make such awesome games with (now) such an outdated editor.

I really liked DCK. I started mapping with DCK and DEU as a hobby back in the mid-90's. I remember one of the freeware versions of DCK (maybe 2.2 or something like that) having an auto-align feature, but that was over 20 years ago. I do distinctly remember sitting at my family's 486 and drawing a map with a large branching cavern using one of the rock textures, highlighting all the linedefs, hitting the key for auto-align, and then watching the highlighted linedef actually travel around the whole sector as it aligned the textures one after the other.