Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Myth/Fantasy Creatures you would kill in Doom

Crossposting this from http://www.doomer.boards.net

because this is fun thread and I'm interested in what you guys can think of.

Doom monsters have this sexy blend of demonic Lovecraftian/mythological elements, injected with cybernetic hardware and guns. There's a lot of awesome monster ideas to take away from things like Dungeons and Dragons, H. P. Lovecraft, ancient mythology, and other sci-fi/fantasy lore. Many of these things are often seen as these paralyzing terrifying unstoppable monstrosities that should be feared, but usually because the setting they are found in is some sort of horror or dark ages context where the protagonist(s) is not a badass spacemarine with a ton of firepower.

Ghosts, Dragons, Werewolves, Giants, Mummies, Bats, Seamonsters, Demons, Witches, Aliens, Mutants, and more!

What kind of horrible abominations, whether it be in other games, art, books, movies, or whatever would you love to destroy with a supershotgun, blast with a rocket launcher, or obliterate with a BFG?

Hydras

moFckRD.png

Byakhees

CGGsEHL.png

Orcs

7oMS5wV.png

Owlbears

CKxH70h.png

Cyclops

lGKsztG.png

(this is meant purely for imagination masturbation, not necessarily a practical discussion about whether these monsters would work, look good as sprites, or would actually be fun to fight in any capacity in the game.)

Kell em'! Kell em owl!

18 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I would like to face a dragon. I like those guys a lot and find them to be pretty cool.

:(

I hate the idea of fighting dinosaurs. This is not some Jurassic Park educational show. I dislike Heretic 2 for that reason.

Fighting large, especially multi-headed dragons sounds like something too difficult to achieve in this primitive engine.

Dragons exist in Doom 3 RoE. There are mods which use modified Maledict. And man-sized dragons (the kinds who kidnap and rape princesses) exist in Hexen.

So what remains:

- golems. Not the weak Heretic simpletons, but actual huge golems who keep rising from dirt and are nearly unkillable.

- mimics: fake items which are simply monsters who bite you. Can be scary.

- poltergeists: ghosts which throw objects to hit you.

- sentient paintings: monsters who are textures instead of sprites. They can still attack or be shot, and they move along the wall.

- mermen. Especially if they're imps. Perhaps the Hexen stalkers are already an example.

- vampires, especially if they have superpowers and vulnerabilities, and superior AI or status (like archviles).

- angels. Either as helpers, quest givers, providers or holier-than-thou enemies.

- Courage's "return the slab" Ramses II mummy appearing when you steal a skull key. When it attacks, you need to run for the exit and escape before you're consumed by insects (or just drop the key so it's returned, then try again).

The esquilax: a horse with the head of a rabbit and the body of a rabbit.

24 minutes ago, Ancalagon said:

:(

Dying to Doomguy is a very honorable death, even for a creature as magnificent, majestic and clever as a dragon.  :)

A dragon would be happy to even face such a worthy challenger.

I have played tons of gameplay mods so I don't really know. I guess have a Titan or a Dragon or anything that is absolutely huge, and not like, twice the height of a cyberdemon, but really fucking huge, like, kilometers spanning monsters. Ones it takes 15 minutes to circle on foot.

This gives me a idea for a wad though. Doomguy is sent of in a BFG-9999999 (he is inside it, as a pilot), to fight a Colossal CyberMasterArchenant but he has to charge up the damn thing and must fight cacos and demons teleporting inside the BFG-9999999 before he can fire it to kill the Colossal CyberMasterArchenant, and he has to do the entire process perfectly or the BFG-9999999 will misfire and at least miss the Colossal CyberMasterArchenant, or blow up something entirely, I dunno, the planet or something.

f4YqKrK.jpg

also I would love to see sprite versions of all the Quake baddies make their way into Doom, particularly the Shambler and the Fiend

Flesh golems of sorts. Either dead bodies fused together, or the meat paste that demons use as building material come to life.

Back before Doom3 was released, I recall a thread about what you'd like to see as a final boss. I remember thinking that a monster akin to the "watcher in the water" from the first LotR movie would be pretty horrific to face given the nature of Doom3. My mental vision of fighting a monster like that in a claustrophobic, forgotten underground corner of Hell sent chills down my spine.

I'd honestly fight one of these as some custom boss tbh. I suppose obelisk could fit somehow 12383265_f1024.jpg.4fc9d23b9882f67ccae5c23687d33de3.jpg

We have complete demons and half demon half machines, so why not Automatons?

Seeing a true four-legged two-winged quadrupedal dragon in Hexen would be cool, breathing magic fire and bitchslapping you with its tail.

7 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Obvious first-to-come-to-mind answer:

Beholdercaco.jpg

Holy shit! Where is this from?

Mr/Ms. Deadwing. A piece of bestiary from Dungeons & Dragons was the original inspiration for the Cacodemon; that is a picture of it.

One of the fascinating things about Humpty Dumpty is that the original rhyme doesn't actually say that he's an egg. It merely implies that he's frangible, but even then the original versions of the rhyme just point out that it was difficult to put him back where he was originally sitting, not that he had literally fallen to bits.

I would fight Humpty Dumpty. Imagine if he was full of acid.

Some sort of magical beings. I say, of "natural" elements, like trents, fairies, will o' wisps, crocoligators and alidiles. Maybe creatures like the Daedra from TES games?

Either way I am tired of hellish creatures and stuff. Anything that is named "Hell [X]" or "[X] of Hell" is overused. Also all Blahmoretaps, Luciefurries or CyberRaymonds and basically all iterations on hell barons and cyberdemons are getting annoying. Not to mention all the Cocoademons and their variations. Fightning Darkness Cacodemons Dark Demons of Darkness is annoying, not original.

1 hour ago, Deadwing said:

Holy shit! Where is this from?

The original artwork appeared on the cover of TSR's Manual of the Planes.  I forget what the creature is called.

Also I wouldn't mind fighting/seeing appear any of the Fiend Folio monsters or the Monster Manual II demon and devils.  

9 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Obvious first-to-come-to-mind answer:

Beholdercaco.jpg

1 hour ago, joepallai said:

I forget what the creature is called.

That's the Astral Dreadnought from Dungeons & Dragons. That is also where the Cacodemon got it's face! I thought that this was common Doomer knowledge...

I'd personally love to see a centaur (not like the ones in Hexen).

Shit, there's some cool monsters in here:

http://www.iwozhere.com/SRD/Gallery.html

Gorillas with 4 arms, crocodiles with tentacles coming out of its mouth, bats that spit fire, 

Turn some of their limbs into rocket launchers or machine guns and they'd easily make a pretty sick Doom monster