Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spamclark15

Question About D3BFG Maps

Is it possible once the files are extracted out of a RESOURCES file to use the maps in normal DOOM 3? Perhaps someone already tried to do this, but le_hell and le_hell_post of the Lost Mission would be neat to play in normal DOOM 3.

As far as I know they're in a different compact binary format instead of the original game's text format. However I still don't see any reason why, with both games' source code available, you could not mod one source or the other to be able to load both map formats - or, failing that, write a converter for the binary format that converts it to the older text format.

I too would actually like to have a "standalone" version of Lost Mission that could be played with the old doom3.exe - shame nobody seems to have the time or motivation though to pull that off. Ideally it'd take the form of a tool you just run on BFG Edition's assets that spits out a pk4 for you to dump in your doom3 dir under a mod directory.

Maybe Doom 3 is indeed too scary — for developers. We never get far if we're intimidated by its complexity.

Extracting out the RESOURCES file for it, they do look to be text formats, but they're laid out differently from what vanilla DOOM 3 has. For example, I'm not sure where the CM and PROC files are that belong with each map.

Maybe I was thinking of the meshes, which you'd also need converted insofar as they are unique and not from the original game.