Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eric the Sandvich

No one at my school shares my Doom mindset

4 hours ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

It sucks having no friends that share your optimism.

Yeah, I have that problem too, people will sometimes think I'm talking about DooM 2016, or have never even heard of the originals. It irks me that the original Doom is being forgotten to the public eye in favor of Doom 2016 (Which is a good game in its own right but felt more like Serious Sam rather than a true Doom sequel.). When my friends know about Classic Doom they never seem to share my enthusiasm for it. Maybe I'm just obsessed, I've beaten the games so many times I've lost count.

My friends don't care, but they know I love Doom.

I mentioned Doom 2016 to one of our newest friend, and he said he'll play it on his PS4. Whether he does or not is not my concern.

With an avatar and a name like that I'm not surprised

Like others have said forums are good for that kind of thing so yeah- just keep loving Doom regardless!

I got my friends into it by playing deathmatches at school on schoolwide LAN while everyone had freetime in their different classes. eventually more people got wind of it and we had to shut it down, but now I have like five friends that are into doom with me, and even a few jock-types that are into it now that won't admit it to anyone at school but they'll get fragged to hell every friday and saturday night.

Moral of my story: Force your friends to like it.

I don't think anyone around where I live knows what Doom even is. To be honest, I think I'm the only nerd in a 50 mile radius.

Considering, that in my college, my group is made only from ladies and my room mates are ladies... nobody cares about doom around me. They consider that games are for guys and children and dislike idea to play games. I think, they are looking at me with "wtf, why you can't be normal person". And I don't like idea to bring Doom in that group anymore. I rather keep this hobby for myself and share my thoughts here and in doom oriented groups.

4 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I think, they are looking at me with "wtf, why you can't be normal person".

Moral of the story: Self-proclaimed "normal people" are small minded and miss out on a lot of fun. ;-)

They consider that games are for guys and children and dislike idea to play games.

They inevitably have to play games with their future children and "games" with their future husband/guy. What a flawed consideration.

I noticed that no one around my age seems to like the game but I also don't care cause it's not me missing out on a good time and actually giving a shit what other people like

Too soon???

Addendum: Try not to be too optimistic. People hate that, and they'll think that you think you're better than them.

Addendum: Try not to be too optimistic. People hate that, and they'll think that you think you're better than them.

That truly explains a lot for me.

Doom seems to be one of those things that's an acquired taste, like music or art or anything else. Different strokes for different folks. Hell, I couldn't even get my own boyfriend to like Doom. 

2 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

Hell, I couldn't even get my own boyfriend to like Doom. 

I learned the hard way being in a relationship still doesn't give you the opportunity to change people's opinions on such things. Both ways in fact.

Probably not helped by the fact my ex is severely autistic and therefore incredibly stubborn about opinions.

8 hours ago, SavageCorona said:

I learned the hard way being in a relationship still doesn't give you the opportunity to change people's opinions on such things. Both ways in fact.

Probably not helped by the fact my ex is severely autistic and therefore incredibly stubborn about opinions.

What did you see in her?

Probably because the game is older than them, That and not everyone likes fast paced fps games.

Define friends, cause I don't really have those, maybe buddies who have some little things in common. I even feel like an oddball at a furry convention.

Of course I could barely manage to have a conversation with fellow classmates about any game besides the most popular ones, it's the way it is. I couldn't even get the IT LAN parties at my high school to play anything besides Halo, Quake 3, or Unreal Tournament 3.

I did submit a ZDoom map thingie as a CompSci project at university though, so there's that. Sadly I have misplaced it. It was the same course I submitted what is now my avatar: the "hipster horze."

I am the only one in my country who actually plays doom ... I  think , because I live in Dubai

On 8/19/2017 at 6:04 AM, MysteriousHaruko said:

Considering, that in my college, my group is made only from ladies and my room mates are ladies... nobody cares about doom around me. They consider that games are for guys and children and dislike idea to play games. I think, they are looking at me with "wtf, why you can't be normal person". And I don't like idea to bring Doom in that group anymore. I rather keep this hobby for myself and share my thoughts here and in doom oriented groups.

This is why i fucking hate video games. They appeal to like, the male fantasy.

4 hours ago, PotatoWater said:

This is why i fucking hate video games. They appeal to like, the male fantasy.