Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Map

No one at my school shares my Doom mindset

Most of my school friends prefer strategy games, but that doesn't mean I don't talk about Doom waaaaaay too much. It's embarrassing actually. Oh well, at least they pretend to be interested. ;)

There's one kid in my school who I introduced to Doom, and he hated it, until I installed Brutal Doom for him, after that, he couldn't stop playing.
I later found out that he plays nothing but COD on Xbox, and guzzles Mountain Dew.
Typical.

3 hours ago, SouthPaw said:

There's one kid in my school who I introduced to Doom, and he hated it, until I installed Brutal Doom for him, after that, he couldn't stop playing.
I later found out that he plays nothing but COD on Xbox, and guzzles Mountain Dew.
Typical.

typical pleb

It's an ancient game played mostly by old people and wierdos. It's not too surprising that they consider you the odd one. Get over it.

It's lucky, that i had one classmate in preschool, who was a bigger, doom nerd than me, he owned 1&2 and had a win95 pc just to play doom on it :D

I had exactly one irl friend who shared a passing interest in Doom. I had a few who shared an interest in Half-Life.

Even with as big of a community and as much mapping and modding support as there is, Doom is still niche in the mainstream's eye, even after spanning a legacy of 10+ entries (official and unofficial) including its 2016 iteration. There's even a crowd that either doesn't know Doom 1-2 are still relevant / being mapped and modded for, or are aware and think it's silly because it's an old game and it looks old and why would you want to play this old game for etc.

I just happened to get lucky 10 years ago when I met my one-day-to-be S/O who turned out to share my seemingly nerdy interests.

I converted one of my closest friends to Doom. He likes to rock up to mine and play. Currently playing Doom 2016 and he is loving it.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:57 PM, Eric the Sandvich said:

It sucks having no friends that share your optimism.

You should go and tell your friends about Doom! That's how I got into it; another student met me and talked to me about Doom II.

Damn, you guys have some shitty luck. Most of my friends have really enjoyed Doom and those that didn't weren't really into gaming to begin with. I have a good group of online friends who I doom with on the weekends but I do miss my crew of friends in Canberra, in 2011-2013 it was pretty often that we met up and had 4 player deathmatches using Doom Legacy on 2 PCs. Good times, man.

I have a few Melbourne friends who think it's a good game as well and have come over and played it a bit, though sadly they aren't so keen on it that we have little LAN parties and such like my Canberra friends did. I miss that. Still, it's almost never happened that I've met a gamer who just thinks the game flat out stinks.

There's no accounting for taste!

I just got back into the Doom community. After taking a couple years off. I introduced to Doom Deathmatch to some of my younger friends and we've been playing every night for like the past month. I feel like I'm back in the 90s.

I installed doom on computers on IT, on the teacher's computer sometimes when he was gone just for the heck for it lol, also have doom for the phone, I got the following reactions while playing it in public:

"Is that quake ?" nope that's doom

"Oh that's wolfenstein" nope that's doom

"Wow that's an old game" i guess so

My friend thinks I'm obsessed with doom but I'm really not :P I only play it a couple times a week. But yeah it kinda hurts, It would be nice to have someone to duel with whenever you want. Yeah, I know I could ask on doomworld but it's not the same