Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Psyrus

MIDI Originals [09/06/2023]

This just in.  MIDI file is in here with the rest of the works as usual.  The recordings are all up on Soundcloud also.

Extremely superficial criticism (it's not even about the music):

- after downloading the file, it was "midi (4).zip" in my download folder. Meaning there were three other midi.zip files I've downloaded and forgotten about. Perhaps give it a more personal name? I renamed it to "psyrus-95604-midi-originals-011220.zip" using your screen name and the thread name to make it easier to identify back later.

- likewise, no text file in the zip with some info

- and still likewise, when looking at the files with SLADE:

GMqXq2q.png

There's no useful metadata. Compare with these few random examples:

Spoiler

sEoxQBM.png

For reference, MIDI has a variety of standard messages you can use. As you can see, people tend to just use message types 1 (Text) and 3 (Title) for everything, but to be fully proper you also have type 2 for copyright notice, type 4 for instrument names, and even type 5 for lyrics (though that's more useful for karaoke files), type 6 for markers and type 7 for cue points (these last two being normally intended to comment arbitrary parts of the file). But even improper metadata is better than no metadata.

I'll try to comment on the songs proper after I've listened to them all.

8 hours ago, Gez said:

Extremely superficial criticism (it's not even about the music)

Useful info.  I always put metadata in my recordings, but I really never bothered with metadata in midis.  Maybe I should start.

I listened to all songs now. I like them, they sound like they would fit right in in any sort of moonbase or spaceship levels, from Back to Saturn X to Ancient Aliens.

Personal favorites include Pyre, Red Sand, Umbra, Astray and Relic (Alt).

On 1/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, Gez said:

Personal favorites include Pyre, Red Sand, Umbra, Astray and Relic (Alt).

Astray has been getting a lot of votes.  Funny thing is that was one of my first getting back into midi after a few years, and it was originally made for a different soundfont.  I went back later and made it compatible for MSGS/SCC1.  Also, it's interesting that you favor the alternate version of Relic.  Was not expecting that, actually.

Also this:

impressive compositional skills. If you haven’t tried your hand at seeking commissions for VG soundtracks (especially indie), it could be worth it 

On 1/28/2020 at 7:39 AM, Doom, Coffee, & Doughnuts said:

I loved Astray; gave me Vectorman vibes.

Speaking of which...

Hi, I'm trying to get into making MIDIs myself!

Would anyone have any tips or be able to link me to a general guide for composing this sort of music? I'm classically trained, but I really just want to try something new...

I always find myself slipping back into the same old boring chord progressions - is there a way to remedy that?

Thank you :)

Longer one this time...  I also edited the links on the FP (again) and updated/reshared the MIDI zip.  MP3s are now Soundcloud-exclusive except the Yamaha XG recordings.

Edited by Psyrus

Exceptional work here, Psyrus. I should have commented earlier. Mostly I've been reading the MIDI versions in a sequencer.

I haven't read up but is there a Doom project or other game release that showcases your tracks in action i.e. with you as the main talent?

12 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

Exceptional work here, Psyrus. I should have commented earlier. Mostly I've been reading the MIDI versions in a sequencer.

I haven't read up but is there a Doom project or other game release that showcases your tracks in action i.e. with you as the main talent?

No, this is all hobby-based with no projects in mind.

I've been listening to these midis while working on my latest map. I'll be using one of them on the map & so far I've got it narrowed down to Ascension, Ashtray, Nucleus, Praetorian, or Pyre. I'm going to have to listen to them a few more times before I can pick which one is my favorite :D You can expect a few of these midis to appear in Switcheroom 2.

18 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

I've been listening to these midis while working on my latest map. I'll be using one of them on the map & so far I've got it narrowed down to Ascension, Ashtray, Nucleus, Praetorian, or Pyre. I'm going to have to listen to them a few more times before I can pick which one is my favorite :D You can expect a few of these midis to appear in Switcheroom 2.

Ashtray... Heh.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

There are some really excellent midis in here, most of them feel like they belong in space maps to me (maybe just because those are my favorite :P) and just have this cool atmosphere in general. Thanks for sharing them.

I really enjoyed your work so far.  I also ran some of yours tracks through the The Ultimate Megadrive Soundfont and found that Nucelus sound good that way.  I posted it on my Youtube channel.

@CacoDoomer Wow, that's a sweet rendition.  It definitely spices up that Gradius shoot-em-up style I was aiming for.  The snare is a bit quiet, but that's probably my doing to compensate for how loud the power snare is on the SC-55.

I'm going through the files from the zip and holy moley, this is great! Luminous is a standout so far, but not a bad tune in the lot! Very inspiring.

3 hours ago, Lippeth said:

Luminous is a standout so far

Thanks.  Just in case some don't know, that midi uses instruments that are absent in the MS synth i.e. Rubber Bass and Doctor Solo.  It will instead play Synth Bass 2 and Saw Wave which do not sound ideal in my opinion.  Feel free to compare it to the recording.

Updated the zip with a few updates including the addition of "Eminence" and "Fervor".

"Eminence" in particular is awesome. Really helped make MAP12 of 1k3 what it is. You made a koto sound like it came from medieval Europe!

Added "Arcane" and "Emulations" to the zip.  Also done some updates to a few others including an extension to "Astray" after a couple of years.

Just heard "Pyre" while playing TH1RT3EN. Holy shit! This track is amazing. I am surprised that it is an entirely original composition and not something composed for a specific project. Also, if I might dare a potentially controversial opinion, at first, I thought it was a MIDI cover of Tommy Tallarico's "Use Your Head from Earthworm Jim - which I swear is meant as a compliment! :P

Long overdue update to main post.  Updated zip to include Animus, Eclipse, Lunacy...  Whatever else I forgot.