Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

Can splash damage from a Cyberdemon's rocket hurt the Cyberdemon?

I was playing a map where a Cyberdemon was trapped behind a few pillars. He could still get rockets through the pillars to get to me, but a lot of them hit the pillars. I didn't hear any pain noises from him when he fired and hit the pillars, though. Is it possible a Cyberdemon can hurt himself via the splash damage of his own rockets? For what few hits with plasma and my own rockets I got on him it seemed, he seemed to die fairly quickly.

Cybers and Masterminds are immune to splash damage even from player rockets.

I guess you are not too familiar with cybers on infighting situations. Either Cyberdemons and Spiderdemons are immune to every kind of splash damage. If you see Tricks and Traps, the lonely cyber can survive most of the barons (if not all), since his own splash damage doesn't affect him.

Your cyber could have been damaged previously by other agents (monsters, crushers), or he's hacked, or he was too easy to knock off. 

There was a scene in 2002ADO (E3M7) which confused me for a long time. There is an outdoor building with a cyber surrounded by barrels and under a crusher. The player (stx-Vile) shoots the barrels and then with just a few bullets (using the chaigun) kills the cyber! "So the barrels must have weakened him" I thought. What I didn't know was that the crusher was activated about a minute before...

The boss monsters (Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind) are tagged with +BOSS property which makes them immune to splash damage, play their alert and death sounds at full volume regardless of distance, among a few other factors (judging by the ZDoom wiki).

1 hour ago, cyan0s1s said:

The boss monsters (Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind) are tagged with +BOSS property which makes them immune to splash damage, play their alert and death sounds at full volume regardless of distance, among a few other factors (judging by the ZDoom wiki).

Wrong, actually.

In the original code they are explicitly being excluded by type - which means that if you reshuffle them via Dehacked they will become vulnerable.

In ZDoom it's not the BOSS flag but the NORADIUSDMG flag that handles this.

I saw how in E4M2 waiting for that cyberdemon to just kill itself was futile.